JOSEPH C. BODI
Joseph C. Bodi gravestone
(Photo by Vernon B. Paddock)
B. December 30, 1875 in Oak Harbor, Ottawa County, OH
D. September 29, 1949 in Lake County, IL
Find A Grave memorial (click here)
- Father: Paul B. Bodi born August 1849 in Weldon, Benzie County, MI, son of Peter Bodie and Mary Bodie; Paul died after 1924
- Mother: Alice Elizabeth Cutcher born November 1859 in Ohio, daughter of William Cutcher and Ellen Coocher; Alice died May 3, 1924 in Gladstone, Delta County, MI; buried Lakeview Cemetery, Delta County, MI
According to the Michigan Department of Health, “Certificate of Death”:
“Place of Death: Delta County, City of Gladstone, 616 Voorhis Ave., 3rd Ward; Full Name: Mrs. Alice Bodi; Residence: 616 Voorhis Ave.; Sex: Female; Color: White; Married; Date of Birth: About 1860; Age: About 64; Occupation: Retired; Birthplace: Ohio; Name of Father: Unknown; Birthplace of Father: Canada; Maiden Name of Mother: Unknown; Birthplace of mother: Canada; Informant: Joseph Bodi; Address: Gladstone, Mich.; Date of Death: 5/3/24; Place of Burial: Lake View Cemetery; Date of Burial: 5/4/24.”
- Wife 1: Josephine L. Roome born 1884 in New York, daughter of William Roome (1845-1902) and Rhoda (Sherburn) Roome (1856-1914); married (1) July 8, 1905 in Sherman, Wexford County, MI; divorced December 10, 1910, no children, Joseph C. Bodi vs. J. Orilla Bodi in Cheboygan County, MI; married (2) Elisha Weekley (1870-?) on January 3, 1920 in Grand Rapids, Kent County, MI; Josephine died in 1958; buried in Sherman-Mesick Memorial Cemetery, Mesick, Wexford County, MI
- Wife 2: Josephine Michaels; had child Joseph Bodi born April 2, 1912 in Ohio and died September 9, 1912 in Detroit, Wayne County, MI
- Wife 3: Constance Lajoie born July 7, 1889 in Lefaivre, Ontario, Canada; married January 22, 1918 in Chicago, Cook County, IL Constance died August 16, 1927 in Chicago, Cook County, IL; buried in Alfred Center, Ontario, Canada (According to the Canadian Headstone Index, 1840-2017:
“Name: Constance Lajoice Bodi; Cemetery: St. Thomas Roman Catholic, Lafaivre+; Burial Place: Prescott & Russell, Ontario, Canada”
- Wife 4: Bessie M. Hinkleman married January 5, 1931 in Cook County, IL
- Wife 5: Helen Bodi born 1877 in Missouri; died unknown
- Joseph Bodi born April 2, 1912 in Ohio; Joseph died September 9, 1912 in Detroit, Wayne County, MI
- Sanderson Bodi born about 1876 in Ohio
- Edward E. Bodi born May 23, 1878 in Ohio; married (1) Lila Stone on November 4, 1897 in Traverse City, Grand Traverse County, MI, daughter of Fred Stone and Malvina (Bergen) Stone and divorced on November 18, 1903 in Benzie County, MI; married (2) Bertha Chapman (1883-?) on August 28, 1906 in Harrietta, Wexford County, MI daughter of Silas Lorenzo Peugh (1854-1930) and Lydia Roseville (Piene) Peugh (1859-1917); married (3) Ethel May Finton on September 5, 1908 in Mesick, Wexford County, MI, daughter of John Hinton and Amanda (Taylor) Hinton and divorced May 23, 1913 in Charlevoix, MI; married (4) Anna ? on June 12, 1918 in Gilman, WI and divorced December 15, 1919 in Saginaw County, MI; married (5) Emma Chase on August 26, 1921 in Escanaba, Delta County, MI and divorce application filed November 8, 1922; Edward died October 5, 1923 unmarried in Escanabe, Delta County, MI; buried in Lakeview Cemetery, Escanaba, Delta County, MI
- Clara Helen “Ellen” (Bodi) (Weatherman) Ruehl born September 13, 1880 in Frenchtown, Darke County, OH; married (1) LeFayette Byron Weatherman (1876-1946) on December 24, 1896 in Sherman, Wexford County, MI, son of Byron VanDeusen Weatherwax (1856-1928) and Louise May “Lucy” (McNall) Weatherwax (1858-1908); married (2) Jacob William Ruehl (1874-?) on September 13, 1900 in Ogontz, Delta County, MI, son of Jacob Ruehl (?-1903) and Fredericka (Eckert/Eggert) Ruehl (1856-1907) and divorced before 1920; Clara died March 30, 1976 in New York; buried in Franklinville, Cattaraugus County, NY
- Orilla (Bodi) Boardman born November 19, 1882 in Ohio; married Thomas Graham Boardman (1889-1952) on January 19, 1909 in Escanaba, Delta County, MI, son of Frederick N. Boardman (1850-1925) and Frances M. (Graham) Boardman (1857-1945); Orilla died October 11, 1985 in King County, WA
- Marie Alice “Mary” (Bodi) Ruehl born May 9, 1887 in Frenchtown, Wayne Township, Darke County, OH; married William I Green (1) on May 9, 1903 in Thomsonville, Manistee County, MI (1879-1919), son of Julis L. Green and Mary C. (Close) Green and divorced April 26, 1907 in Delta County, MI; married (2) George A. Ruehl (1887-1957) on May 9, 1907 in Ogontz, Delta County, MI, son of Jacob Ruehl (?-1903) and Fredrika (Eckert/Eggert) Ruehl (1856-1907)
- Alfred Bodi born November 25, 1889 in Shepherdsville, Lucas County, OH; died January 25, 1899 in Weldon, Benzie County, MI
- Lucille “Lucy” (Bodi) (Schuler) Pendock born July 13, 1893 in Benton, Ottawa County, OH; married (1) Fred Schuler (1871-1950) on October 8, 1910 in Bellaire, Antrim County, MI, son of Frederick Schuler and Cathrena Schuler and divorced October 8, 1910 in Antrim County, MI; married (2) Sherman Belmont Pendock (1889-1972) on August 24, 1913 in Bellaire, Antrim County, MI, son of Derwood Belmont Pendock (1858-1942) and Iva A. (Kiser) Pendock (1866-1912) and divorced May 1, 1922 in Antrim County, MI; married (3) Castle White (1898-1949) on September 13, 1922 in Bellaire, Antrim County, MI, son of Archie H. White (1868-1936) and Anna McGill (Thresher) White (1868-? and divorced by 1930); Lucille died 1975
- Ernest Paul Bodi born April 13, 1897 in Yuma, Springville Township, Wexford County, MI; married Clara M. Miles (1905-1996) on July 14, 1923 in Detroit, Wayne County, MI, daughter of John Miles and Catherine (Nickolas) Miles; Ernest died June 8, 1975 in Petoskey, Emmet County, MI; Ernest and Clara are buried in Maple Lawn Cemetery, Boyne City, Charlevoix County, MI
According to the Petosky News-Review (Petoskey MI) Monday, June 9, 1975, page 19:
Services for Ernest P. Bodi, 78, of East Jordan, will be held Tuesday at 2 p.m. from the Christ Lutheran Church, in Boyne City. Rev. Edgar Priess will officiate and interment will be in Maple lawn Cemetery.
Mr. Bodi died Sunday Morning at Little Traverse Hospital, in Petoskey.
He was born in Uman, Mich. and served with the U.S. Navy during World War I.
On July 14, 1923 he married the former Clara Niles, in Detroit. The couple moved to East Jordan in 1963. He was a retired carpenter.
Mr. Bodi was a member of the Christ Lutheran Church.
Besides his wife, he is survived by one son, Floyd, of Royal Oak; a daughter, Mrs. Ezra (Jean) Sonntag, of Flushing; six grandchildren; three great grandchildren and three sisters living in New York state.
Arrangements are being handled by the Stackus Funeral Home, in Boyne City, where friends may call.”
According to the 1880 U.S. Census for Carroll Township, Ottawa County, OH, the household members were:
“Paul Bodia (sic), age 31, married, occupation: farm laborer, born in Michigan, parents born in Canada; Alice Bodia (sic); age 21, wife, married, born in Michigan, parents born in Canada; Sanderson (possibly Joseph) Bodia (sic), age 4, son, born in Ohio; Eddie Bodia (sic) age 2, son, born in Ohio”
According to the U.S. City Directories, 1822-1995 for Detroit, MI (1913) :
“Bodi Jos C. barber L J B Rice, bds 80 Columbia w
According to U.S. Consular Registration Applications, 1916-1925 “Application For Registration – Native Citizen”:
“I, Joseph C. Bodi, hereby apply to the Consulate General of the United States at Montreal, Que. For registration as an American citizen.
I was born at Frenchtown, Ohio on Dec. 30th, 1875.
My father Paul Bodi, was born in Ottawa Co., Ohio, and now resides at Three Lakes, Wis.
I last left the United States on 24th June, 1918, arriving at Montreal, Que., Canada, on 24 June, 1918, where I am now residing for the purpose of barber, on behalf of Mr. Rousseau, 276 Bleury St., Montreal, Canadian.
I have resided outside the United States at the following places for the following period.
Montreal, Que. From June 24, 1918 to date
My legal domicile is in 2577 Drolet St., Montreal, Que. Permanent residence being at Montreal, Que.;
I desire to remain a citizen of the United States and intend to return thereto permanently to reside and perform the duties of citizenship with three years
I am married to Constance Lajoie, who was born at Lefaivre, Ont. on 7 July, 1889, and is now residing at Montreal, Que.
Signed: July 18, 1918
The applicant’s personal description is as follows:
Age, 42; height, 5 feet 7 inches; color of eyes, grey; color of hair, black; complexion, dark; distinguishing features or marks, Scar on right knee”
According to the U.S., World War I Draft Registration Cards, 1917-1918:
“Name: Joseph C. Bodi; Permanent Home Address: 109 North Clark St., Chicago, Ill; Age in Years: 42; Date of Birth: December 30th, 1875; Present Occupation: Barber; Employer’s Name: Viger Hotel Co.; Place of Employement: Montreal, P.Q. Canada; Nearest Relative: Mrs. C. Bodi (Wife) at 58 Ontario St W. Montreal, Can.; Medium Height; Medium Build; Grey Eyes; Dark Hair; Signed: October 3, 1918”
According to the 1940 U.S. Census for Cook City (sic Chicago), Cook County, IL living at 1009 E. 47th Street, the household members were:
“Joseph Bodi, head, age 64, married, highest grade completed: 0, born in Ohio, resided in same place in 1935, occupation: barber – barber shop; Helen Bodi, wife, age 63, married, highest grade completed: H2, born in Missouri, lived in same place in 1935, occupation: storekeeper – retail grocery.”
According to the Chicago Tribune (Chicago IL) Friday, September 30, 1949, page 34:
AILING BARBER, 74, KILLS SELF IN ROUND LAKE PARK
“Leaving a suicide note, Joseph C. Bodi, 74, a barber, shot and killed himself yesterday in his home on Willow rd. in Round Lake Park, Lake county. Relatives told Deputy Sherif Norris Forelich that Bodi, who at one time operated a shop on Chicago’s south side, suffered from a stomach ailment.”
According to the Lake County Illinois Genealogical Society. “Strang Funeral Home – Grayslake, Illinois – 1908-1964”. Mundelein IL. 2015:
“Surname: BODI; Name: Joseph C.; Birth Date/Place: 31 Dec 1875, OH; Death Date/Place: 29 Sep 1949, Round Lake Park; Cause of Death: (blank); married; Occupation: Barber; Minister – Funeral Home: Rev. MORRIS, Chapel; Burial Place – Next of Kin: Fort Hill, Carl BODI (MI)-Father, Alice CUTCHER (MI)-Mother”