ROBERT A. CARROLL
Robert A. Carroll gravestone
(photo by Vernon B. Paddock)
B. 1816 in Ohio
D. July 18, 1854
Find A Grave memorial (click here)
- Wife: Ann M. Clarke born about 1821 in Ohio; married Robert A. Carroll on January 10, 1844 in Lake County
Robert purchased 80 acres in Avon Township, Section 32 on May 1, 1845; 40 acres in Section 33 on June 1, 1846; 41 28/100 acres in Avon Township, Section 5 and 40 acres in Fremont Township, Section 5 on March 1, 1850; and 40 acres in Avon Township, Section 33 on October 2, 1854. Robert was elected the first Avon Township Highway Commissioner in 1850. In 1851 Robert was hired by the Lake and McHenry Plank Road Association to continue building the plank toll road (Route 120 or Belvidere Road). In November 1851 he completed the final 2 1/2 mile of the total 15 mile plank road from Little Fort (Waukegan) to the McHenry County border. The average cost was $2,000 per mile.
According to the “Historical and Statistical Sketches, of Lake County, State of Illinois” by Elijah M. Haines, “The first Town meeting in this Town (Avon) was convened at the Hotel in the Village of Hainesville…” Robert Carroll was elected as one of three Commissioners of Highways.