HELEN JEANETTE CASSEL
Helen Jeanette Cassel gravestone
(Photo by Vernon B. Paddock)
B. April 24, 1951 in Waukegan, Lake County, IL
D. November 8, 1954 in Round Lake Beach, Lake County, IL
Find A Grave memorial (click here)
- Father: Abraham Cassel born February 16, 1907 in Hamilton, Canada, son of Louis Cassel (1878-1931) and Sarah Cassel (1883-1966); married Evelyn Jeanette Cragg on March 6, 1944 in Cook County, IL; Abraham died in 1990; buried in Oakwood Cemetery, East Aurora, Erie County, NY
According to the U.S., World War II Draft Cards Young Men, 1940-1947:
“Name: Abraham Cassel; Address: 4753 N. Virginia, Chicago, Cook County, Ill; Telephone: Chicago Ardmore 6826; Age in Years: 33; Date of Birth: Feb. 16 1907; Place of Birth: Hamilton, Canada; Country of Citizenship: Canada; Name of Person Who Will Always Know Your Address: Mrs. Sarah Cassel; Relationship of that Person: Mother; Address of That Person: 4753 N. Virginia Ave, Chicago, Cook County, Ill; Employer’s Name: Supreme Leather Goods Co; Place of Employment: 560 W Lake, Chicago, Cook County, Ill; Race: White; Height: 5′ 6″; Weight: 137; Eyes: Brown; Hair: Black; Complexion: Sallow; Other obvious physical characteristics that will aid in identification: Scar on left cheek; Signed: Oct. 16 1940”
- Mother: Evelyn Jeanette (Cragg) Cassel born July 25, 1912 in Kenosha County, WI, daughter of James Cragg (1887-1964) and Edna (Runyard) Cragg; Evelyn died June 1984 (last residence: East Aurora, Erie, New York); buried in Oakwood Cemetery, East Aurora, Erie County, NY
- Grandfather: James Cragg born August 10, 1887 in unincorporated Big Foot Prairie, Walworth County, WI, son of Richard Cragg; James died September 11, 1964 in Waukegan Lake County, IL; buried in Salem Mound Cemetery, Salem, Kenosha County, WI
According to the Kenosha News (Kenosha WI) Monday, September 14, 1964, page 13:
“James Cragg, 77, dies
James Cragg, 77, 109 Washington St., Ingleside, Ill., died Friday at Lake County Hospital, Waukegan, Ill., after a three-month illness.
Born in Big Foot Prairie, Wis., Aug. 10, 1887, the son of the late Mr. and Mrs. Richard Cragg, he resided in Ingleside for more than 50 years.
He and his wife Edna (Runyard) celebrated their 55th anniversary in May, 1964.
Survivors include his wife, Edna; two sons, Howard and Harold, both Ingleside; four daughters, Mrs. Larriane Alwardt, Gages Lake, Ill., Mrs. Lucille Sheahan, Sycamore, Ill., Mr.s Lillian Stone, Seattle, Wash., Mrs. Evelyn Cassel, Round Lake, Ill.; one brother, Earl, Sarasota, Fla.; two sisters, Mrs. Mae Foster, Yakima, Wash,. and Mrs. Mabel Gainor, El Cajon, Calif., and 11 grandchildren.”
- Grandmother: Edna (Runyard) Cragg born June 14, 1887 Wilmot, Kenosha County, WI; Edna died September 24, 1964 in Ingleside, Lake County, IL; buried in Salem Mound Cemetery, Salem, Kenosha County, WI
According to the Kenosha News (Kenosha WI) Monday, September 28, 1964, page 14:
“Death takes former
resident of county
Mrs. Edna L. Cragg, 77, Ingleside, Ill., died at 9:10 p.m. Saturday at her home following a long illness. She had resided in Wilmot and Silver Lake during her early life.
Mrs. Cragg was born June 14, 1887 in Wilmot. She resided in Silver Lake 13 years, then moved to Ingleside 43 years ago. Her husband, James, preceded her in death only two weeks ago – on Sept. 11.
Survivors include: two sons, Howard and Harold, both of Ingleside; four daughters, Mrs. Norman Alwardt, Gages Lake, Ill., Mrs. Daniel Sheahan, Sycamore, Ill., Mrs. Lillian Stone, Seattle, Wash., and Mrs. Al Cassel, Round Lake Park, Ill.; one sister, Mrs. Paul Brinkman, Silver Lake; and 11 grandchildren.”
- Raymond Cassel born about 1949 in Illinois
According to the 1950 U.S. Census for Avon Township, Lake County, IL, the household members were:
“Abraham Cassel, head, age 43, married, born in Canada, Occupation: Workman – Leather Work; Evelyn Cassel, wife, age 37, married, born in Wisconsin; Raymond Cassel, son, age 1, never married, born in Illinois”
According to the Lake County Illinois Genealogical Society. “Strang Funeral Home – Grayslake, Illinois – 1908-1964”. Mundelein IL. 2015:
“Surname: CASSEL; Name: Helen Jeanette; Birth Date/Place: 24 Apr 1951, Waukegan; Death Date/Place: 08 Nov 1954, Round Lake Beach; Cause of Death: Neurohlastoma of Brain; Single; Minister – Funeral Home: Rev. LIDDICOAT, Chapel; Burial Place – Next of Kin: Fort Hill, Abraham CASSEL-Father, Evelyn CRAGG-Mother”