GLORIA CHARLOTTE (NESS) FOX
B. October 2, 1920 in Chicago, Cook County, IL
D. March 12, 1953 in Long Lake, Lake County, IL
Find A Grave memorial (click here)
- Father: Charles John Ness born December 5, 1892 in Chicago, Cook County, IL, son of Paul Ness and Minnie (Grotzke) (Ness) (Engels) (Anderson) Wait; married Eleanor Steiner on June 22, 1917 in Lake County, IN; Charles died March 18, 1962 in Long Lake, Lake County, IL (See section pertaining to Charles John Ness buried in the Fort Hill Cemetery)
- Mother: Eleanor (Steiner) Ness born May 4, 1894 in Chicago, Cook County, IL, daughter of John Steiner and Maria (Kornischer) Steiner; Eleanor died November 29, 1980 (See section pertaining to Eleanor (Steiner) Ness buried in the Fort Hill Cemetery)
- Husband: Harold W. Fox born about 1908 in Illinois, son of William H. Fox and Ella H. (Calleoff) Fox; married May 25, 1943 in Durham County, NC
- Children: (NOTE: According to the 1950 U.S. Census, Gloria had three children (Harold W. Jr., Eleanor M. and Gloria C. Fox). According to the obituaries of Harold and Eleanor it lists their parents as Charles and Eleanor Ness, which may actually be their grandparents, Gloria’s parents. It is presumed after the death of Gloria at the age of 32, Charles and Eleanor adopted the children.)
- Harold W. “Skip” Fox/Ness born April 18, 1945 in Chicago, Cook County, IL; married Rita Fike on September 16, 1967 in Ingleside, Lake County, IL, daughter of Norman Fike; Harold died July 28, 2002 in Round Lake Beach, Lake County, IL; buried in Saint Mary Catholic Cemetery, Fremont Center, Lake County, IL
According to the Daily Herald (Arlington Heights IL) Tuesday, July 30, 2002:
“Harold W. “Skip” Ness – Harold W. “Skip” Ness of Round Lake Beach for 28 years. Funeral services for Harold W. “Skip” Ness, 57 formerly of Long Lake, will be held at 10 a.m. Thursday, at K.K. Hamsher Funeral Home, 12 N. Pistakee Lake Road, Fox Lake, (in the Chapel on the Lake). Born April 18, 1945, in Chicago, the son of Charles and Eleanor (nee Steiner) Ness, he died Sunday, July 28, 2002, at home. Burial will be in St. Mary’s Cemetery, Fremont Center, Ill. Skip was a member of the Brotherhood of Local @#281 for 34 years, having worked for the past 29 years for Simplex-Grinnel Co. as a sprinkler fitter. He was an avid fisherman, horseshoe player and gardener. He is survived by his wife, Rita (nee Fike) Ness of Round Lake Beach, whom he married on Sept. 16, 1967, at St. Bede’s Catholic Church in Ingleside; daughters, Michelle Jordan and Nicole Ness, both of Round Lake Beach; grandchildren, Brittany Jordan, Kelsey Jordan and Davon Horton; sisters, Eleanor (Robert) Buckley and Gloria Peterson, both of Wisconsin; brother-in-law, Robert (Charlotte) Fike of Addison; sister-in-law, Ellen (Gary) Knapcik of McHenry; three nieces; six nephews; four great-nieces; four great-nephews; and father-in-law, Norman Fike of Fox Lake. He was preceded in death by his parents; and mother-in-law, Mary Fike. Visitation will be from 4 to 9 p.m. Wednesday, at the funeral home. Friends may visit www.dailyherald.com/obits to express condolences and sign the guest book. For more funeral information, (847)587-2100.”
2. Eleanor M. (Fox/Ness) Buckley born September 5, 1946 in Chicago, Cook County, IL; married Robert Buckley on January 1966 in Round Lake, Lake County, IL; Eleanor died October 15, 2020 in Eau Claire County, WI
According to the drydenwire.com website:
“September 5, 1946 – October 15, 2020
Eleanor “Nana” Buckley Age 74, of Birchwood, WI died Thursday, October 15, 2020 at the Sacred Heart Hospital in Eau Claire, WI.
She was born on September 5, 1946 in Chicago, Illinois to Charles and Eleanor Ness. Nana graduated from the Grant High School in Fox Lake, Illinois. She was married to Bob Buckley on January 1966 in Round Lake, Illinois. Nana was a homemaker and they moved to Birchwood in the early 90’s and owned and operated Buck’s Hardware Hank in Birchwood since they moved to town. She was very creative, loved woodworking, ceramics, gardening, being outside, reading and being with her family especially her grandchildren.
She is survived by her husband, Bob Buckley of Birchwood, WI; a son and daughter-in-law, Bobby and Whitney Buckley of Round Lake, IL; a daughter and son-in-law Tracy and Jeff Dittmer of Round Lake, IL; 4 grandchildren, Faith, Nicole, Derek and Cassidy; a great granddaughter, Mila; and a sister, Gloria Peterson of Osceola, WI.
She was preceded in death by her parents and a brother.
Appleyard’s Home for Funerals in Rice Lake, WI, Jon Tillung – Funeral Director is in charge of the arrangements.”
3. Gloria C. Fox/Ness
According to the 1930 U.S. Census for Chicago City, Cook County, IL living at 3930 Armitage Ave., the household members were:
“Chas. J. Ness, head, age 37, married at age 23, born in Illinois, parents born in Germany, occupation: chauffeur – city official; Eleanor Ness, wife, age 35, married at age 21, born in Illinois, parents born in Germany, Gloria Ness, daughter, age 9, single, born in Illinois”
According to the 1940 U.S. Census for Chicago City, Cook County, IL living at 3618 Dickens Avenue, the household members were:
“Charles Ness, head, age 47, married, highest grade completed: 8, born in Illinois, lived in same house in 1935, occupation: truck driver – coal dealers; Eleanor Ness, wife, age 45, married, highest grade completed: 8, born in Illinois, lived in same house in 1935; Gloria Ness, daughter, age 19, single, lived in same house in 1935, born in Illinois; Frank Steiner, lodger, age 52, single, highest grade completed: 4, born in Austria, lived in same house in 1935, occupation: stone planerman – cut at one manufacturer”
According to the 1950 U.S. Census for unincorporated Long Lake area, Grant Township, Lake County, IL living on James St, the household members were:
“Harold W Fox, head, age 40, married, born in Illinois, Occupation: Manager Frozen Food Locker – Frozen Food Locker; Gloria C Fox, wife, age 29, married, born in Illinois, Was he living in this same house a year ago?: No, Was he living on a farm a year ago?: No, Was he living in this same county a year ago?: No, What county and State was he living in a year ago?: Cook County, IL, What country were his father and mother born in?: U.S., What is the highest grade of school that he has attended?: S-10, Did he finish this grade?: Yes, What kind of work did this person do in his last job?: Inspector, What kind of business or industry did he work in?: Airplane parts mfr., Has this person been married more than once?: No, How many years since this person was married?: 8 years, How many children has she ever borne, not counting stillbirths?: 3 children; Harold W Fox Jr, son, age 4, never married, born in Illinois; Eleanor M Fox, daughter, age 3, never married, born in Illinois”
According to the Lake County Illinois Genealogical Society. “Strang Funeral Home – Grayslake, Illinois – 1908-1964”. Mundelein IL. 2015:
“Surname: FOX; Name: Gloria charlotte; Birth Date/Place: 02 Oct 1920; Death Date/Place: 12 Mar 1953, Long Lake; Cause of Death: Cerebral Edema; Married; Occupation: (blank); Minister – Funeral Home: Chapel; Burial Place – Next of Kin: Fort Hill, Charles E. NESS-Father, Eleanor STEINER-Mother”