JOHN AMBROSE FRENCH
B. June 3, 1902 in Odell, Livingston County, IL
D. November 4, 1987
Find A Grave memorial (click here)
- Father: Charles Lew French born April 2, 1867 in Broughton Township, Livingston County, IL; married Emma A. Cotterell on October 30, 1896 in Algona, Kossuth County, IA; Charles died November 19, 1944 in Dwight, Livingston County, IL; buried in Oak Lawn Cemetery, Dwight, Livingston County, IL; According to the Times (Streator IL) Monday, November 22, 1944, page 10:
DIES IN DWIGHT
SUCCUMBS TO HEART ATTACK
IN SISTER’S HOME, RITES
Charles French, 77 died at 4:45 o’clock Sunday morning in the home of his sister, Mrs. Margaret Orr, where he had been residing the past four months. His passing was sudden. Mr. French being in apparently good healthy until Friday morning when he suffered a heart attack.
Final rites are to be held Tuesday afternoon at 2 o’clock in the Baker funeral home, with Rev. Robert C. Calderwood of the Methodist church officiating. Interment will be made in Oak Lawn cemetery. Friends may call at the funeral home until the hour of the service.
Mr. French was born in Broughton township, Livingston county, south of Dwight, April 2, 1867. He formerly resided in Dwight where he was night policeman for several years and from this community moved to Chicago. It was four months ago that he returned to Dwight to make his home with his sister.
Surviving are a son, John Ambrose French of Round Lake; two daughters, Miss Helen French of Chicago and Mrs. E. L. Warner of Baltimore, Md.’ And two sisters, Mrs. Orr of Dwight and Mrs. Catherine Smith of Chicago.”
- Mother: Emma A. (Cotterell) French born October 14, 1877 in Dodgeville, Iowa County, WI daughter of Sidney Charles Cotterell (1844-1903) and Augusta Alice (Bronson) Cotterell (1844-1921); Emma died in October 23, 1967 in Ottawa, La Salle County, IL; buried in Oak Lawn Cemetery, Dwight, Livingston County, IL; According to the Pantagraph (Bloomington IL) Wednesday, October 25, 1967, page 39:
“Mrs. Emma French
DWIGHT (PNS) – Mrs. Emma French, 90, a former Dwight resident, died at 11:10 p.m. Monday at Ryburn Memorial Hospital in Ottawa, where she had been a patient since Oct. 4. For the past six years she lived at Pleasant View Lutheran Home in Ottawa.
Her funeral will be at 10 a.m. Thursday at the Von Qualen Funeral Home in Dwight. The Rev. Obed Westphal with officiate. Burial will be in Oaklawn Cemetery, Dwight.
Visitation will be from 7 to 9 this evening.
Mrs. French was born Oct. 14, 1877 at Dodgeville, Wis., a daughter of Charles Sidney and Alice Bronson Cotterell. She was married to Charles L. French, who died in 1944.
Surviving are a son, John A. French, Round Lake; two daughters, Mrs. Helen Carrl, St. Petersburg, Fla.; Mrs. Leona Warner, Lombard; a brother, Fred Cotterell, Ottawa and four grandchildren. A son preceded her in death in 1905.
She was a member of Arcadia Avenue Presbyterian Church, Peoria.”
- Wife: Catherine L. (Grimm) French born 1906 in Illinois; Catherine died 1963 (See section pertaining to Catherine L. (Grimm) French buried in the Fort Hill Cemetery)
- Richard Warren French born January 14, 1932 in Chicago, Cook County, IL; last residence in Round Lake, Lake County, IL; Richard died May 18, 2006 in New London, Ralls County, MO; According to the U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007:
” Name: Richard W. French; Gender: Male; Race: White; Birth Date: 14 Jan 1932; Birth Place: Chicago, Illinois; Death Date: 18 May 2006; Father: John A French; Mother: Catherine Grimm; SSN: 357245475; Notes: June 1947: Name listed as RICHARD W FRENCH”
According to the Pantagraph (Bloomington IL) Friday, January 22, 1932, page 12:
Mr. and Mrs. Ambrose French of Chicago are parents of a son, named Richard Warren. This is their first child. Mr. French was a former Dwight resident.”
- Robert O. French born June 19, 1897 in Kossuth County, IA; Robert died in 1904; buried in Oak Lawn Cemetery, Dwight, Livingston County, IL
- Helen (French) Carll born March 20, 1905 in Dwight, Livingston County, IL; Army Veteran (1945-1947); married William B. Carll on November 14, 1950 in Pinellas County, FL; Helen died February 8, 1986 in Pinellas County, FL; According to the Tampa Bay Times (St. Petersburg FL) Tuesday, February 11, 1986, page 30:
“CARLL, HELEN F., 80, of 555 62nd St. S, died Saturday, (Feb. 8, 1986 at Palms of Pasadena Hospital. Born in Dwight, Ill., she came here in 1950 from California, where she was a registered nurse. Locally she was a former nurse at St. Anthony’s Hospital. During World War II, she served in the Army Nurses Corps. She was a Methodist. Survivors include a sister Leona Warner, Leesburg; a brother John French, Round Lake, Ill. and several nieces and nephews. National Cremation Society.”
- Leona F. (French) Warner born January 19, 1908 in Dwight, Livingston County, IL; married Edgar Lee Warner on September 14, 1942, Chicago, Cook County, IL; Leona died July 16, 1997 in Lake County, FL
According to the 1910 U.S. Census for Dwight Village, Dwight Township, Livingston County, IL living at 402 West Delaware St., the household members were: Charles H. French, head, age 42, married once for 13 years, born in Illinois, father born in Illinois, mother born in unknown, occupation: police – city; Emma French, wife, age 32, married once for 13 years, 4 children born, 3 children living, born in Wisconsin, father born in England, mother born in Wisconsin; Ambrose French, son, age 7, single, born in Illinois; Helen French, daughter, age 5, single, born in Illinois; Leona French, daughter, age 2, single, born in Illinois.
According to the 1920 U.S. Census for Dwight Village, Dwight Township, Livingston County, IL living on West Wauponsie Street, the household members were: Emma French, head, age 42, married, born in Wisconsin, father born in England, mother born in Indiana, occupation: sewing – private family; Ambrose French, son, age 18, single, born in Illinois; Helen French, daughter, age 15, single, born in Illinois; Leona French, daughter, age 12, single, born in Illinois.
According to the Times (Streator IL) Tuesday, May 1, 1928, page 7:
” Ambrose French who is employed in Chicago has returned to his work after spending the week end in Dwight as a guest of his mother, Mrs. Emma French and daughter, Miss Leona.”
According to the 1930 U.S. Census for Chicago City, Cook County, IL living at 7411 N. Damen Ave., the household members were: John Ambrose French, head, age 27, married at age 27, born in Illinois, father born in Illinois, mother born in Iowa, occupation: electrician – refrigeration; Catherine G. French, wife, age 23, married at age 22, born in Illinois, father born in Germany, mother born in Iowa, occupation: teacher – public school.
According to the 1940 U.S. Census for Chicago City, Cook County, IL living at 3330 Berteau Street, the household members were: John French, head, age 38, married, highest grade completed: H-4, born in Illinois, lived in same house in 1935, occupation: service & repair – electrical; Katherine French, wife, age 34, married, highest grade completed: C-2, born in Illinois, lived in same house in 1935; Richard French, son, age 8, single, highest grade completed: 1, born in Illinois.
According to the U.S. WWII Draft Cards Young Men, 1940-1947:
Name: John Ambrose French; Place of Residence: Forest Glen Drive, Round Lake, Illinois; Mailing Address: Same; Telephone: 3591; Age in Years: 39; Date of Birth: June 3 1902; Place of Birth: Odell, Illinois; Name and Address of Person Who Will Always Know Your Address: Catherine L. French, Round Lake, Illinois; Employer’s Name and Address: Commonwealth Edison Co., Service and repair Dept, Chicago, Illinois; Place of Employment: Chicago, Illinois (2230 So Throop) Cook County, Illinois; Race: White; Height: 5′ 10″; Weight: 136#; Complexion: Dark; Eyes: Brown; Hair: Brown; Signed: 2-16-42″