JOHN B. GASH
B. 1872 in Illinois
D. March 22, 1948 in Waukegan Township, Lake County, IL
Find A Grave memorial (click here)
- Father: Pvt. George B. Gash born about 1840 in Lebanon, Boyle County, KY; Civil War veteran, Company A, 16 IL US Infantry, joined May 24, 1861, discharged at Birds Point, MO on February 3, 1862; married Maggie Powers on December 31, 1863 in McDonough County, IL; George died September 16, 1910; buried in Danville National Cemetery, Danville, Vermilion County, IL
- Mother: Margaret “Maggie” (Powers) Gash born about 1843 in Nova Scotia, Canada; Margaret died July 30, 1906 in Chicago, Cook County, IL; According to the Chicago Tribune (Chicago IL) Thursday, August 2, 1906, page 12:
“Gash, Margaret, 60; 439 Washington blvd., July 30.”
- Wife: Ethel Merle (Brown) Gash born October 23, 1880 in Kentucky daughter of Cyrus Brown and Alsey (Bristol) Brown; married on June 17, 1909 in St. Joseph, Berrien County, MI; last residence in Libertyville, Lake County, IL; Ethel died February 1974 (Grave marker does not indicate date of death)
- Henry E. Gash born January 18, 1865 in Macomb, McDonough County, IL; married Ida May Hainline (1865-1917) daughter of James MacArthur Hainline (1822-1908) and Sarah B. (Willeford) Hainline (1826-1902); Henry died April 26, 1925 in Chicago, Cook County, IL; Henry and Ida are buried in Arlington Cemetery, Elmhurst, DuPage County, IL; According to the Chicago Tribune (Chicago IL) Tuesday, April 28, 1925, page 12:
“GASH – Henry E. Gash, April 26, aged 60 years. Funeral from chapel, 3848 W. Madison st., Wednesday, April 29, at 11 a. m., to Arlington cemetery.”
- Harriet “Hattie” (Gash) Goodhart born about 1868 in Illinois; married Charles Isaac Goodhart (1866-1950) on January 22, 1866 in Titusville, Crawford County, PA son of James Goodhart and Sophia (Jesseison or Yeatleson) Goodhart; Harriet died February 4, 1936 in Chicago, Cook County, IL
- Frank F. Gash born about 1879 in Illinois
- Mary Elizabeth (Gash) McCall born 1882 in Illinois; married Frank Patrick McCall (1884-?) on June 25, 1913 in Chicago, Cook County, IL; 1940 residents of Warren Township, Lake County, IL
- Cecilia H. (Gash) Canham born September 1887 in Illinois; married William S. Canham on July 28, 1905 in Chicago, Cook County, IL; Cecilia died June 25, 1927 in Chicago, Cook County, IL
According to the 1880 U.S. Census for the City of Macomb, McDonough, IL living on East Carroll Street, the household members were: George B. Gash, married, occupation: drayman, born in Kentucky, parents born in Kentucky; Maggied Gash, age 34, wife, married, born in Canada, father born in Ireland, mother born in Canada; Henry Gash, age 15, son, single, born in Illinois; Hattie Gash, age 12, daughter, single, born in Illinois; John Gash, age 8, son, single, born in Illinois, Frank F. Gash, age 6/12, born in November, son, single, born in Illinois; Sanford Daniels, age 24, servant, single, occupation: servant, born in Missouri, parents born in Missouri.
According to the 1920 U.S. Census for Allegan Township, Allegan County, MI the household members were: John Gash, head, age 45, married, born in Illinois, father born in Kentucky, mother born “at sea”, occupation: farmer – general farm; Ethel Gash, wife, age 39, married, born in Kentucky, father born in Illinois, mother born in Indiana.
According to the 1940 U.S. Census for Warren Township, Lake County, IL the household members were: John Gash, head, age 67, married, highest grade completed: H1, born in Illinois, lived in same place in 1935; Ethel M. Gash, wife, age 60, married, highest grade completed: 8, born in Kentucky, lived in same place in 1935.