ALMA (WILLIAMS) (KOWL) BRIMBERY
B. March 12, 1912 in Louisiana, Pike County, MO
D. August 6, 1969 in McHenry, McHenry County, IL
Find A Grave memorial (click here)
- Father: James Williams; James died in 1935
- Mother: Lula R. (Scott) Williams born June 25, 1888 in Louisiana, Pike County, MO, daughter of Samuel W. Scott (1852-1902) and Martha P. (Turner) Scott (1854-?); Lula died September 5, 1958 in Wood River, Madison County, IL; buried in Oakwood Cemetery (aka Upper Alton Cemetery) Alton, Madison County, IL
According to the Alton Evening Telegraph (Alton IL) Saturday, September 6, 1958, page 7:
“Mrs. Lula Williams
Mrs. Lula R. Williams, 70, died unexpectedly Friday at 6:57 p.m. in Wood River Township Hospital where she had been moved from Kirchner Nursing Home in Alton. Williams had been in failing health and a patient in the nursing home for two years, but her fatal illness was unexpected.
She was moved from the nursing home to the hospital about 6 p.m. and lived a little less than an hour after entering the hospital.
Born at Louisiana, Mo., June 25, 1888, she had resided in Alton since 1937. Her husband, James Williams, died in 1935.
Surviving are two daughters, Mrs. Frank Kowl of Round Lake, Ill., and Mrs. Thelma Henry of Alton; a sister, Mrs. James Carey of Salem, Ore., and a brother, Roy Scott of Salem, and a grandson.
The body is at Staten Funeral Home where services will be conducted Tuesday at 2 p.m. by the Rev. C. L. Gruver, pastor of Alton Gospel Tabernacle. Burial will be in Upper Alton Cemetery. Friends may visit the funeral home after 7 p.m. Monday.”
- Husband 1: Frank Willis Kowl born January 29, 1900 in Peoria, Peoria County, IL; married (1) Rose (last name unknown); married (2) Alma Mae Williams; Frank died March 1961 (See section pertaining to Frank Willis Kowl buried in the Fort Hill Cemetery)
- Husband 2: Eddie Adelbert Brimbery (also spelled Brimberry) (aka Eddie D.; Delbert A.; Andelbert; Edward; Eddie A.) born June 29, 1908 in Matoon, Cole County, IL, son of Homer Brimberry (1887-1948) and Minerva (Vaughn/Smethers) Brimberry (1889-1968); married (1) Clover Garuth Spannagel (1909-1977) on May 14, 1927 in Coles County, IL, daughter of William J. Spannagel (1864-1951) and Eliza Jane (Kail) Spannagel (1869-1961), divorced in November 1929 and she remarried Walter Gossett Morris in 1934; Eddie married (2) Velma Hazel Gilbert (1913-1944) on October 5, 1935 in Sigel, Shelby County, IL, daughter of William Henry Gilbert (1886-1953) and Jessie I. (Shinn) (Hilbert) Walker (1890-1975) and divorced in October 1938; (NOTE) Eddie had criminal activity between 1928 and 1935 and was imprisoned in the Illinois State Penitientiary, Menard, Randolph County, IL serving eleven years and seven months released in April 1945); Eddie married (3) Alma (Williams) Kowl; Eddie died January 15, 1998; last residence in Homewood, Cook County, IL
According to the U.S. World War II Draft Cards Young Men, 1940-1947:
“Name: Delbert Brimberry; Address: Route #4, Mattoon, Ill; Telephone: (blank); Age in Years: 35; Date of Birth: June 20, 1908; Place of Birth: Matton (sic), Coles County, ILL, U.S.A.; Name of Person Who Will Always Know Your Address: (blank); Relationship of That Person (blank); Address of That Person: (blank) Employer’s Name: (blank) Place of Employment: (blank); Race: White; Height: 5-11; Weight: 185; Eyes: Brown; Hair: Brown; Complexion: Ruddy; Signed: July 20 1943”
- Step Children (children of Delbert “Eddie” Brimberry and Clover Garuth (Spannagel) Brimberry)
- Delbert Brimberry, Jr born June 22, 1928 in Mattoon, Coles County, IL; Delbert died June 28, 1928; buried in Dodge Grove Cemetery, Mattoon, Coles County, IL
- Step children:
- Delcie (Brimberry) Jager; married Larry Jager, son of Helen F. (Spakowski) Jager
- Thelma M. (Williams) Henry born June 7, 1909 possibly married Floyd F. Henry and divorced November 1953; last residence in Collinsville, Madison County, IL; Thelma died August 18, 2000
According to the U.S., Social Security Death Index, 1935-2014:
“Name: Thelma M. Henry; Social Security Number: 333-18-8154; Birth Date: 7 Jun 1909; Issue Year: Before 1951; Issue State: Illinois; Last Residence: 62234, Collinsville, Madison, Illinois, USA; Death Date: 18 Aug 2000”
According to the U.S., City Directories, 1822-1995 (Alton, Illinois, City Directories, 1927):
“Williams Alma Mae stu res 1120 Easton
Williams James (Lulu) emp Big 4 res 1120 Easton
Williams Thelma Miss emp Ill Glass Co res 1120 Easton”
According to the U.S. City Directories, 1822-1995, Alton, Illinois City Directory, 1928:
“Williams Alma Miss emp Majestic Café r 927 Union
Williams James (Lula) emp Alton Trans Co r 927 Union
Williams Thelma Miss emp Majestic Café r 927 Union”
According to the Edwardsville Intelligencer (Edwardsville IL) Saturday, December 9, 1933, page 5:
Probate Court Proceedings Dec. 8.
Dorothy Williams, Alma Williams, minors; inventory approved. Guardian’s final report approved. Guardian discharged.”
According to the Alton Evening Telegraph (Alton IL) Friday, August 8, 1969, page 18:
“Brimbery – Mrs. Alma Kowl Brimbery, 57, a former Alton area resident, of 709 Cedar Lake Ave., Lake Villa, Ill., died Aug. 6 at the McHenry Hospital there following a lengthy illness. She was born March 12, 1912, in Louisiana, Mo., and lived in the Round Lake and Lake Villa areas of Illinois for the past 25 years. She is survived by her husband, Eddie D., one sister, Mrs. Thelma Henry of East Alton; a stepdaughter, Mrs. Delcie Jager of Chicago; and one grandchild. Services will be held at 10 a.m. Aug. 9, McGillis Funeral Home, 340 Goodnow Blvd., Round Lake, Ill. Interment will be in Fort Hill Cemetery at Round Lake.”