BERTHA A. (EXNER) KRONCKE
B. June 10, 1899 in Illinois
D. November 1982 (Last residence Libertyville, Lake County, IL)
Find A Grave memorial (click here)
- Father: Albert F. Exner born May 1862 in Germany; married Fredericka Haach on July 16, 1892 in Chicago, Cook County, IL; Albert died June 2, 1901 in Chicago, Cook County, IL; buried in Forest Park Cemetery, Forest Park, Cook County, IL
- Mother: Fredericka (Haach) Exner born October 1863 in Germany; died April 2, 1947; buried in Forest Home Cemetery, Forest Park, Cook County, IL; According to the Chicago Tribune (Chicago IL) Thursday, April 3, 1947, page 40:
“EXNER – Fredericka Exner, nee Haach, beloved wife of the late Albert, dear mother of George, Charles, Dorothy Brown, and Bertha Kroncke. Services Friday, 2 p. m., at funeral home, 2500 N. Cicero avenue. Interment Waldheim. Berkshire 8070.”
- Husband: Henry William Kroncke born February 6, 1893 in Wyanet, Bureau County, IL; married Bertha Exner on June 17, 1916 in Chicago, Cook County, IL; Henry died November 27, 1957 in Waukegan, Lake County, IL (See section pertaining to Henry William Kroncke buried in the Fort Hill Cemetery)
- Henry George Kroncke born about 1918 in Chicago, Cook County, IL; married Madelyn Agnes Leahy; Henry died January 30, 1953 in Cook County, IL; buried in Mount Carmel Catholic Cemetery, Hillside, Cook County, IL; According to the Chicago Tribune (Chicago IL) Saturday, January 31, 1953, page 21:
“KRONCKE – Henry George Kroncke, beloved husband of Madelyn, nee Leahy; dear son of Henry W. Bertha, fond brother of William. Funeral Monday, 9 a. m., from funeral home, 2500 N. Cicero avenue, to St. Genevieve’s church. Interment Mount Carmel. BErkshire 7-8070.”
- William H. Kroncke born April 23, 1939 in Lisle, DuPage County, IL; married Dorothy Ann “Dollie” Halla (1942-2006) in April 1966 in Lake County, IL daughter of Wallace T. Halla (1918-1985) and Dorothy A. Halla (1918-1994); Dorothy married (2) Clarence Zahnow in 1985 in St. Louis, MO; William died October 15, 2003 in Kenosha, Kenosha County, WI; William and Dorothy are buried in Saint Joseph Catholic Cemetery, Round Lake, Lake County, IL; According to the Kenosha News (Kenosha WI) Friday, October 17, 2003, page 20:
” William H. Kroncke
William H. Kroncke, 64, of Kenosha, died Wednesday (Oct. 15, 2003 at Woodstock Nursing home.
Born in Round Lake, Ill. on April 23, 1939, he was the son of the late Henry and Bertha Kroncke. He spent his youth in Round Lake and worked with his father at Kroncke-Colby Paint Company.
He later worked for Miller-Kreuger Dodge as sales manager. He moved to Shelbyville, Ill., and purchased Pier 16 Marine, which he operated with his family, selling boats and snowmobiles. He later moved to Greenville, N.C., and worked for Greenville Marine.
He retired in Kenosha.
Survivors include two sons, William (Cindy) of Mt. Zion, Ill., and Wallace H. of Kenosha; his former wife, Dolly Kroncke of Missouri; and four grandchildren.
A brother, Henry, preceded him in death.
Strang Funeral Chapel and Crematorium of Grayslake, Ill. is in charge of arrangements.”
- George Exner born November 1893 in Illinois
- Charles “Chick” Exner born October 2, 1894 in Chicago, Cook County, IL; Army veteran Batt E. 6th field artillery; married Julia “Lulu” McCann (1895-1972) daughter of James McCann (1859-1926) and Mary McCann (1864-1903); Charles died May 14, 1956; buried in Oakridge-Glen Oak Cemetery; According to the Chicago Tribune (Chicago IL) Wednesday, May 16, 1956, page 42:
“EXNER – Charles (Chick) Exner, beloved husband of Lulu, nee McCann; brother of Dorothy Neale, Bertha Kroncke, and George Exner. Member of V. F. W. post, No. 2955. Services Thursday, May 17, at 3 p. m. at funeral home, 301 S. 5th avenue, at Maple street, Maywood. Interment Oakridge, Fillmore 4-0100.”
- Dorothy “Dora” (Exner) (Brown) Neale born October 1897 in Illinois; married (1) Clifton W. Brown (1897-1941) on October 11, 1917 in Cook County, IL; married (2) James Neale; Dorothy died September 1975; According to the Chicago Tribune (Chicago IL) Saturday, September 13, 1975, page 84:
“NEALE – Dorothy M. Neale, nee Exner, beloved wife of the late James; loving mother of Pearl (Charles) Wall, Dorothy Baumgartner, Shirley (Jacob) Bissing, Thora (Elmer) Brewer and Gloria (Edward) Kohs; ten grandchildren; fond sister of Bertha Kroncke. Funeral Monday, 11 a.m. at John V. May Funeral Home, 4553-61 Milwaukee Av. Interment private. Visitation after 6 p.m. Saturday.”
- Albert Exner born December 25, 1895 in Chicago, Cook County, IL; Albert died July 4, 1896 in Chicago, Cook County, IL; buried in Forest Home Cemetery, Forest Park, Cook County, IL
According to the 1900 U.S. Census for Chicago, South Town, Cook County, IL living at 2630 Lowe Avenue, the household members were: Albert Exner, head, born May 1862, age 38, married for 8 years, born in Germany, parents born in Germany, immigrated in 1888, occupation: marble cutter; Fredericka Exner, wife, born October 1862, age 37, married for 8 years, 5 children born, 4 children living, born in Germany, parents born in Germany, immigrated in 1888; George Exner, son, born November 1893, age 6, single, born in Illinois; Charles Exner, son, born October 1895, age 4, single, born in Illinois; Dora Exner, daughter, born October 1897, age 2, single, born in Illinois; Fredericka Exner (sic Bertha) daughter, born July 1899, age 11/12, single, born in Illinois.
According to the 1920 U.S. Census for Genesee Town, Waukesha County, WI the household members were: Henry W. Kroncke, head, age 25, married, born in Illinois, father born in Germany, mother born “at sea”, occupation: farmer – dairy farm; Bertha A. Kroncke, wife, age 20, married, born in Illinois, parents born in Germany; Henry G. Kroncke, son, age 2 6/12, single, born in Illinois.
According to the 1940 U.S. Census for Chicago, Cook County, IL living at 5144 Irving Pk Road, the household members were: Harvey W. Kroncke, head, age 47, married, highest grade completed: 7, born in Illinois, lived in same place in 1935, occupation: paint superintendent – paint mfg; Bertha A. Kroncke, wife, age 40, highest grade completed: 8, born in Illinois, lived in same place in 1935; William Kronckey, boarder (sic), age 1, single, born in Illinois.