ROY FRANCIS LEW
Roy Francis Lew gravestone
(Photo by Vernon B. Paddock)
B. March 1, 1903 in Kansas City, Jackson County, MO
D. September 21, 1956 in Waukegan, Lake County, IL
Find A Grave memorial (click here)
- Father: unknown (possibly Thompson)
- Mother: Clara Lee Sweazy born about 1885 in Wisconsin, also given as Chicago (see additional information below) daughter of Tobe Sweazy and Frances (Archer) Sweazy; married George William Trayser (1876-1944) on May 17, 1909 in Geneva, Kane County, IL, son of Ludwig Heinrich “Louis” H. Trayser (1826-1898) and Sophia E. (Linnes) Trayser (1835-1915)
- Grandfather: Fred R. Lew born about 1861 in Ohio
- Grandmother: Frances Lew born about 1867 in Illinois
- Wife 1: Josephine Eugina Wittmer born June 5, 1902 in Illinois, daughter of Charles Wittmer (1871-1920) and Melanie (Munsch) Wittmer (1880-1954); married Roy Francis Lew on May 24, 1924 in Cook County, IL; Josephine died as Josephine Martin in June 1981; Last residence: Grayslake, Lake County, IL
- Wife 2: Edna Violet Essex born June 21, 1912 in Daleville, Delaware County, IN, daughter of Everett LeRoy “Roy” Essex (1890-1973) and Alvetta Mabel (Mayberry) Essex (1893-1918); married (1) Roy Walter Sorge (1909-1985) and divorced; married (2) Roy Francis Lew; married (3) James Arthur McKinney (1929-2009) on August 5, 1958, son of Irvin “Mike” McKinney and Pearl (Monnier) McKinney; Edna died April 1, 1994 in Rock County, WI; Edna and James are buried in Underhill Cemetery, Packwaukee, Marquette County, WI; According to the U.S., Social Security Applications and Claimes Index, 1936-2007:
“Name: Edna Violet Sorge [Edna Violet McKinney] [Edna Lew] [Edna McKinney] [Edna Violet Essex]; Gender: Female; Race: White; Birth Date: 21 Jun 1912; Birth Place: Daleville, Indiana; Death Date: Apr 1994; Father: Roy Essex; Mother Mable A Mayberry; SSN: 350160410; Notes: Jun 1941: Name listed as EDNA VIOLET SORGE; Sep 1966: Name listed as EDNA VIOLET MCKINNEY;: Name listed as EDNA SORGE LEW; 21 Apr 1994: Name listed as EDNA V MCKINNEY”
According to the Leader-Telegram (Eau-Claire WI) Sunday, April 3, 1994, page 12:
“One killed, four hurt in car-truck accident
JANESVILLE (AP) – A milk truck hit a van and sent it head-on into another vehicle, killing an Illinois woman and injuring four people, Rock County authorities said.
Edna McKinney, 78, of Round Lake Beach, Ill., died on the scene of the accident on U.S. 14 just east of Janesville about 10:50 a.m. Friday.
McKinney’s husband Jim, 65, was eastbound when he slowed for a driver turning off the highway in front of his van.
A milk truck driven by Dennis Haberman, 39, of Brodhead hit the van from behind and pushed it into the westbound lane, where it struck an oncoming minivan driven by Andrew L. Woodard, 29, of Cary, Ill.
Jim McKinney was in fair condition today at Mercy Hospital in Janesville. Woodard is in serious condition, his wife Jean, 29, was in stable condition and their daughter Kirsten, 20 months, was in good condition.
Haberman was uninjured. The State Patrol planned to cit the owner of the truck, Hoerler Trucking of Janesville, for equipment and brake violations, the sheriff’s department said.”
- Children: (children of Roy Francis Lew and Josephine Wittmer)
- Nevonne “Neva” (Lew) Portegys born August 21, 1924 in Chicago, Cook County, IL; married (1) Peter Paul Portegys (1919-1984), son of Peter Paul Portegys, Sr. (1878-1967) and Gertrude Margaret (DeBoer) Portegys (1880-1964); married (2) Thomas Edward Gallagher (1928-2011), son of Thomas Gallagher (1902-1931) and Gertrude (Blumenthal) Gallagher; According to the Nebraska State Journal (Lincoln NE) Monday, January 4, 1943, page 2:
“The birth of a son Friday at St. Elizabeth hospital is announced by Mr. and Mrs. Peter P. Portegys, 645 So. 27th. Mrs. Portegys is the former Neva Lew.”
- Children: (children of Roy Francis Lew and Edna Violet Essex)
- Patrick David Lew born about 1950; married Wanda; According to the News Sun (Waukegan IL) August 19-25, 2014:
“Lew, Patrick David “Blade” of RLB, IL, went to be with the angels August 8, 2014 at 3:02 p.m. in Park Ridge, IL. He is survived by his daughter, kimberly McAlister of Duluth, MN; his daughter, Crystal Bonanno of Twin Lakes, WI; his son, Patrick David Lew II of Antioch, IL; and his daughter, Kelsey Jeanette Lew of Union City, TN; and his three grandchidlren, Caitlen, Draven and Trent; and one great-grandchild, Mia of Duluth, MN; along with many othe family and friends. He loved riding his motorcycle, fishing, and spending time on the open highway.”
- Step Children (children of Roy Walter Sorge and Edna Violet Essex):
- Roy Sorge, Jr born about 1932 in Illinois; married Joan; married Christine
- Gloria Carol (Sorge) Semar born January 12, 1934 in Illinois; married Philip Semar (1938-2014) son of William and Elizabeth Semar; Gloria died april 10, 1991; Gloria and Philip are buried in the Ridgewood Cemetery, Des Plaines, Cook County, IL; According to the Chicago Tribune (Chicago IL) Friday, April 12, 1991, page 39:
“SEMAR – Gloria C. Semar, 57, of Mt. Prospect, beloved wife of Philip; loving mother of Denice (Larry) McKone, Keith (Rose Marie), Guy and Tracey (Bill) Masterson; grandmother of 10; dear daughter of Edna and the late Roy Sorge; fond sister of Roy (Joan) Sorge Jr., Patrick (Wanda) Sorge and Sue (Rusty) Barton. Visitation Friday 3 to 9 p.m. at Lauterburg & Oehler Funeral Home, 2000 E. Northwest Hwy., Arlington Heights. Lying in state Saturday from 9 a.m. until time of service 10 a.m., at St. Raymond Church, Mt. Prospect. Interment Ridgewood Cemetery. 708-253-5423.”
- Step Children (children of James Arthur McKinney and Edna Violet Essex)
- Susan (McKinney) Barton; married Rusty Barton
According to the Ancestry.com post by “gretchin anderson” on December 31, 2013:
“Roy Francis Lew was the son of Clara Lew. Clara had Roy out of wedlock and the father is unamed. My grandmother (Nevonne Lew Portegys, daughter of Roy Lew) said that she believed hearing that his last name was Thompson and that he came from a very wealthy family, although never involved with Roy. On the Census it show Roy Lew is the son of Fred and Francis Lew, but those are his grandparents.”
According to the 1920 U.S. Census for Maywood Village, Proviso Township, Cook County, IL living at 1518 So. 17th Ave., the household members were: Fred R. Lew, head, age 59, married, born in Ohio, parents born in Ohio, occupation: laborer – couch manufacturing; Frances Lew, wife, age 53, married, born in Illinois, parents born in Missouri, occupation: sewing – ladies suits; Roy Lew, son, age 16, single, born in Missouri; occupation: laborer – couch manufacturing.
According to the U.S. City Directories, 1822-1995; 1935 Waukegan, Lake County, IL:
“Lew Roy r33 S Genesee”
According to the 1940 U.S. Census for Round Lake Beach, Avon Township, Lake County, IL living on Cedar Lake Road, the household members were: Francis Lew, head, age 65 widowed, highest grade completed: 8, born in Missouri, living in Chicago, IL in 1935; Roy Lew, son, age 37, married, highest grade completed: 8, born in Missouri, lived in same place in 1935, occupation: laborer – road construction; Josephine Lew, daughter-in-law, age 36, married, highest grade completed: H-8, born in Illinois; lived in same place in 1935, occupation: file clerk – industry.
According to the U.S. WWII Draft Cards Young Men, 1940-1947:
“Name: Roy Francis Lew; Place of Residence: 1438 Frawell Ave, Chicago, Ill; Mailing Address: same; Telephone: Shel 8458; Age in Years: 38; Date of Birth: March 1, 1903; Place of Birth: Kansas City, Missouri; Name and Address of Person who will Always know your Address: Mrs. Clara Trayser, 625 N. Ridgeway Ave.; Employer’s Name and Address: C. A. Barnes & Sons, 215 W. Illinois Str.; Place of Employment: same; Race: White: Height: 5.10 1/2; Weight: 175; Eyes: Gray; Hair: Brown; Complexion: Sallow; Signed: February 16, 1942”
According to the Chicago Tribune (Chicago IL) Sunday, April 15, 1945, page 53:
“Round Lake Beach will choose a president, clerk, magistrate, three full term trustees, and one short term trustee. Candidates include: President, Harold H. Rostad and Theodore Fisher; clerk, Harry Royale and Mrs. Violet Hammergren; magistrate, Thomas Ford, Roy Lew, and Charles Schwartz; full term trustees, James Clayburn, Edmond Reiker, Aloysius Rosinski, Carl Schmidt, and Louis McKean, and trustees for unexpired term, Charles Blake and Mrs. Alma Yeager.”
According to the Chicago Tribune (Chicago IL) Sunday, April 17, 1949, page 122:
“Other Round Lake Areas
Round Lake Beach has a full ticket and a number of candidates running independently. The ticket: Young People’s Administrative – president, Marshall R. Shephard; clerk, Grover E. Ellison; magistrate, Edward J. Supergan; trustees, three to be elected, Arne Olaf Johnson, Robert C. Dehler, and Edward A. Patton. Those running separately as independents: president, Charles Schwartz and Theodore T. Fisher; clerk, Harry Royale, incumbent; magistrate, Roy Lew, Clarence Folgers, and Thomas J. Ford…”
According to the Chicago Tribune (Chicago IL) Sunday, April 19, 1953, page 97:
“ROUND LAKE BEACH
President, clerk, magistrate and three trustees to be elected. All candidates are Independents by position. The candidates:
President, Charles Schwartz; clerk, Harry Royale; magistrate, Eugene M. Williams and Harry W. Schippers Sr.; trustees, John J. Magee, John J. Pacyna, George Bruske, Andrew Eichhorn, Roy F. Lew, Donald E. Neumann, Elwing D. Carlson and Robert H. Thielsen.”
According to the Chicago Tribune (Chicago IL) Sunday, April 17, 1955, page 258:
“Nine Candidates Run
Round Lake Beach – Nine candidates running independently for trustees, three to be elected. They are Joseph P. Mayer, Robert N. Lee, Charles W. Innis, Andrew Eichhorn, Edwin Zalewski, Frank Bartlett, Elmer ([Red] Brandt, Elwing O. Carlsen, and Roy F. Lew. Mayer is the only incumbent of these candidates.”
According to the Chicago Tribune (Chicago IL) Sunday, September 23, 1956 page 54:
“LEW – Roy Francis Lew, age 53, of 1508 Cedar Lake road, Round Lake Beach, beloved husband of Edna; fond father of Neva Portegya, Patrick David, Roy Sorge Jr., and Gloria Semar. At Strang chapel, Grayslake, Ill., until services Monday at 2 p. m. Interment Fort Hill cemetery.”
According to the Lake County Illinois Genealogical Society. “Strang Funeral Home – Grayslake, Illinois – 1908-1964”. Mundelein IL. 2015:
“Surname: LEN (sic); Name: Roy Francis; Birth Date/Place: 01 Mar 1903, Kansas City, Missouri; Death Date/Place: 21 Sep 1956, Waukegan; Cause of Death: Uremia; Married; Occupation: Petroleum Engineer; Minister – Funeral Home: Rev. LIDDICOAT, Chapel; Burial Place – Next of Kin: Fort Hill, Fred LEN (sic)-Father, Frances-Mother”