ADRIAN W. SCALES
Adrian W. Scales gravestone
(Photo by Vernon B. Paddock)
B. 1928 in Sault Ste. Marie, Chippewa County, MI
D. July 11, 1958 in Lake County, IL
Find A Grave memorial (click here)
- Father: Winlow Alfred Scales born February 7, 1900 in Dollar Settlement, Bay Mills Township, Chippewa County, MI, son of Alfred Scales (1864-1934) and Mary (Motney) Scales (1875-1936); married Alberta K. Walsh on January 29, 1920 in Sault Sainte Marie, Chippewa, County, MI; Winlow died August 11, 1941 in Sault Sainte Marie, Chippewa County, MI; buried in Pine Grove Cemetery, Sault Sainte Marie, Chippewa County, MI
- Mother: Alberna K. (Walsh) Scales born in 1899 in Pembroke, Ontario, Canada, daughter of James Walsh (?-1956) and Julie (Quigley) Walsh (?-1958); Alberna died in 1963; buried in Pine Grove Cemetery, Sault Sainte Marie, Chippewa County, MI
- Wife: Ida Mae (LaPonsie) (Scales) Sampson born December 5, 1928 in Brimley, Chippewa County, MI, daughter of Gabrielle William LaPonsie (1902-2003) and Myrtle L. (Williams) LaPonsie (1910-1992); married (1) Adrian W. Scales on November 3, 1948 in Sault Sainte Marie, Chippewa County, MI; married (2) Russell Sampson; Ida died December 16, 2005 in Dallas, Dallas County, TX
According to the U.S. Public Records Index, 1950-1993, Volume 1:
Ida M. Sampson, born December 5, 1928 lived at the following: 1995 – 25390 Shan St, Grayslake, IL; 1992 – 230 Moore Ct, Graylake, IL; 125 Nippersink Blvd, Fox Lake, IL; 1989 – 37724 N Rt 12, Spring Grove, IL; last residence 34601 Brooksville, Hernando County, FL
According to the Fort Worth Star-Telegram (Fort Worth TX) Sunday, December 18, 2005, page 41:
“Ida Mae Sampson
CLEBURNE – Ida Mae Sampson, 77, died Friday, Dec. 16, 2005, in Dallas.
Memorial service: will be held in Illinois at a later date.
Mrs Sampson was born Dec. 5, 1928, in Brimley, Mich., to William and Myrtle Welch LaPonsie.
Survivors: Her husband, Russell Sampson; sons, David, Donald and Clayton Scales; daughters, Sharon Scales and Kathleen Gholson; numerous grandchildren, great-grandchildren and other family members.
Rosser Funeral Home
Cleburne, (817 774-3700″
According to the U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007:
“Name: Ida Mae Laponsie [Ida Mae Scales] [Ida Sampson] [Ida Mae Laponsic]; Gender: Female; Race: White; Birth Date: 5 Dec 1928; Birth Place: Dafter Chepa, Michigan [Darter Chipp??, Michigan]; Death Date: 16 Dec 2005; Father: William Laponsic; Mother: Myrtle Williams; SSN: 476282043; Notes: Jun 1946: Name listed as IDA MAE LAPONSIE; Mar 1955: Name listed as IDA MAE SCALES; Jun 1971: Name listed as IDA MAE SAMPSON; 24 Dec 2005: Name listed as IDA M SAMPSON”
- Adrian Winlow Scales born January 16, 1951 in Chicago, Cook County, IL; married Joyce Silvestri; Adrian died May 15, 2004 in Gurnee, Lake County, IL
According to the News-Sun (Waukegan IL) May 18, 2004:
“Adrian W. Scales
Adrian W. Scales, 53, of Antioch, IL passed away Saturday, May 15, 2004 in Gurnee, IL. He was born January 16, 1951, the son of Adrian and Ida (Laponise) Scales and has lived most of his life in Lake County, IL. Adrian was a licensed plumber and a member of the Plumbers Union Local #93 of Waukegan, IL. On September 24, 1978, he married Joyce Silvestri, in Wadsworth.
Survivors include his wife, Joyce, his daughter, Jennifer of Salem, WI; his mother, Ida (Russell) Sumpson of Brooksville, FL; three brothers, David of Antioch, Donald of Arlington, TX and Clayton of Fox Lake, IL; two sisters, Sharon (Ray) Scales of Alvardo, TX and Kathleen (David) Gholson of Gurnee, IL; several nieces and nephews, including his special care givers, Crystal and Joe Evans.
He was preceded in death by his father, Adrian Scales in 1956; and by his sister, Barbara.
Funeral Services will be held at 7 PM Thursday, May 20, 2004 at the STRANG FUNERAL HOME OF ANTIOCH, 1055 Main St. (Rt. 83). Interment will be private. Visitation will be from 4 PM until the time of services. In lieu of flowers, memorials may be made to the family. Info: 847-395-4000.”
2. David E. Scales born January 22, 1952 in Chicago, Cook County, IL; David died May 29, 2011 in Kenosha County, WI
According to the Kenosha News (Kenosha WI) Wednesday, June 1, 2011, page 4:
“David E. Scales
David E. Scales, 59, 59, of Trevor, Wis., formerly Round Lake, Ill., passed away Sunday, May 29, 2011, at his hoe, surrounded by his family. He was born Jan. 22, 1952, in Chicago, the son of Adrian Scales and Ida (LaPonsie) Sampson. David retired as an Operating Engineer of Local #150. He enjoyed fishing, camping and making his famous lasagna.
Survivors include his daughters, Stacey (Ken) Kuhfuss and Catherine (Jon) Shiraishi, both of Trevor, and Lisa (Sean) Honickel of Jacksonville, N.C.; his siblings, Donald Scales of Alvarado, Tex., Sharon Scales of Alvarado, Tex., Kathy (Dave) Gholson and Clayton (Debi) Scales, both of Gurnee, Ill.; his step-father, Russell Sampson of Alvarado, Tex.; five grandchildren, Greg, Kyle, Stephen, Ashton, and Chase; Claudette Scales; and his grand cats, Pudding and Bucket. David was preceded in death by his father, Adrain; mother, Ida; and two siblings, Adrian Scales and Barbara Wehle.
His family would like to reach out and thank Hospice Alliance and the Vince Lombardi Cancer Clinic of Kenosha for all of their kindness and support during David’s time of need.
Funeral services will be held at 5 p.m. Saturday, June 4, 2011, at the Strang Funeral Home of Antioch, 1055 Mains St. (Rte. 83) Antioch, Ill. Interment will be private. Visitation will be held from 2 p.m. until time of services Saturday. Info: 847-395-4000. In lieu of flowers, those desiring may make contributions to a family memorial, in his memory. Please sign the online guest book for David at www.strangfh.com
Strang Funeral Home of Antioch
1055 Main Street
Antioch, IL 60002
3. Donald Scales
4. Clayton Scales
5. Barbara (Scales) Wehle; Barbara died before 2004; (NOTE: unable to determine if Barbra Scales (1954-1983) buried in the Fort Hill Cemetery is the daughter of Adrian W. Scales and Ida Mae (LaPonsie) (Scales) Sampson.) (See section pertaining to Barbra Scales buried in the Fort Hill Cemetery)
6. Sharon Scales; married Ray
7. Kathleen (Scales) Gholson; married David Gholson
- Leland Ivan Scales born April 4, 1920 in Sault Sainte Marie, Chippeaw County, MI; Leland died October 12, 1920 in Sault Sainte Marie, Chippewa County, MI; buried in Pine Grove Cemetery, Sault Sainte Marie, Chippewa County, MI
- Marguriete Mary (Scales) Newcomb born May 25, 1921 in Sault Sainte Marie, Chippewa County, MI; married William Henry Newcomb (1920-1992) son of Otto C. Newcomb (1886-1956) and Mary Gertrude (French) Newcomb (1882-1927); Marguriete died November 28, 1995 in Sault Sainte Marie, Chippewa County, MI; Marguriete and William are buried in Oaklawn Chapel Gardens, Sault Saint Marie, Chippewa County, MI
- Virginia Monica (Scales) Shunk born July 10, 1922 in Sault Sainte Marie, Chippewa County, MI; married Gordon Shunk (?-1995) on May 18, 1946 in Sault Sainte Marie, Chippewa County, MI son of Carl Reginald Shunk (1896-1931) and Grace (Hill) Schunk (1897-1977); Virginia died August 8, 2007
According to the Evening News (Sault Ste. Marie MI) August 9, 2007:
“SHUNK, VIRGINIA, age 85, of Sault Ste. Marie passed away Wednesday evening, August 8, 2007 at Tendercare Nursing Home. Arrangements are incomplete at this time, but will be announce by C.S. Mulder Funeral Home.”
According to the C.S. Mulder Funeral Home website (https://www.csmulder.com/obituary/136093):
“Virginia M. Shunk
July 10, 1922 – August 8, 2007
Virginia M. Shunk, age 85, of Sault Ste. Marie, Michigan passed away Wednesday evening, August 8, 2007 at Tendercare Nursing Home. She was born July 10, 1922 in Sault Ste. Marie, Michigan to the late Winlow and Alberna (Walsh) Scales.
Virginia graduated from Sault High School. She married Gordon Shunk on May 18, 1946 in Sault Ste. Marie, Michigan. She was a life member of the VFW Auxiliary Post #3676, and the American Legion Auxiliary Post #3.
She is survived by two daughters; Linda (James) Sherry and Marsha Carter both of Lansing, MI, two sons; Gordon (Susan) Shunk and Clayton (Gail) Shunk both of Sault Ste. Marie, MI, seven grandchildren and seven great-grandchildren.
She was preceded in death by her husband; Gordon in 1995, her parents; Winlow and Alberna (Walsh) Scales, two brothers; Adrian Scales and Clayton Scales, and two sisters; Margaret Newcomb and Ruby Denardo.
According to Virginia’s wishes, no services will be held at this time, but a memorial service will be held at a later date. Memorials may be left to a charity of one’s choice.”
- Ruby May (Scales) DeNardo born May 10, 1926 in Sault Sainte Marie, Chippewa County, MI; married Ralph DeNardo (1918-2007) on August 7, 1943 in Sault Sainte Marie, Chippewa County, MI son of Pasquale DeNardo and Elvira (Costable) DeNardo and U.S. Army veteran; Ruby died March 6, 1998 in Woodstock, McHenry County, IL; Ruby and Ralph are buried in Windridge Memorial Park and Nature Sanctuary, Cary, McHenry County, IL
According to the Daily Herald (Arlington Heights IL) March 9, 1998, page 6:
“Ruby May DeNardo
A memorial service for Ruby May Denardo, 72, of Crystal Lake, formerly of Cary, will be held at 11 a.m., today, at Windridge Memorial Park Chapel, with Pastor Roger Schneider of Shepherd of the Hills Church, McHenry officiating.
Born May 10, 1926, in Sault Ste. Marie, Mich., she died Friday, March 6, 1998, at Centegra-Woodstock Memorial Hospital. Inurnment will take place at a later date.
Mrs. DeNardo was a homemaker, a member of the V.F.W. of both McHenry and Woodstock, and a member of the Moose Lodge of Woodstock.
She was the wife of Ralph; mother of Charles (Judith) of Waukesha, Wis., James (Susan) of Genoa City, Wis., Nancy Hallock of Hudson, Fla., Kathleen (Larry) Krich of Cary, Debra (Randy) Prybil of Woodstock, and Diane (Donald) Beene of Cary; sister of Virginia Shunk of Sault Ste. Marie, Mich.; and grandmother of 19.
She was preceded in death by her parents; two brothers and a sister.
Visitation will be from 10 a.m. until the time of services at 11 a.m., today, at Windridge Memorial Park Chapel.
Arrangements were made by Windridge Funeral Home, Ltd., Cary.
For information, 1-(800) 870-9648.”
- Clayton Albert Scales born October 11, 1929 in Michigan; Clayton died September 2, 1987 in Sault Sainte Marie, Chippewa County, MI; Army Veteran, Sgt, Korea; buried in Pine Grove Cemetery, Sault Sainte Marie, Chippewa County, MI
According to the 1930 U.S. Census for Sault Sainte Marie City, Chippewa County, MI living at 209 Johnston St., the household members were:
“Winlow Scales, head, age 29, married at age 20, born in Michigan, parents born in Michigan, occupation: truck driver – local co.; Alberna Scales, wife, age 30, age 21, born in Canada, parents born in Canada, immigrated 1903; Margaret Scales, daughter, 9, single born in Michigan; Virginia Scales, daughter, age 8, single, born in Michigan; Ruby May Scales, daughter, age 4 10/12, single, born in Michigan; Adrian Scales, son, age 1 5/12, single, born in Michigan; Clayton Scales, son, age 6/12, single, born in Michigan”
According to the 1940 U.S. Census for Sault Ste. Maried, Coo Township, Chippeaw County, MI, living at 1049 Cedar Street, the household members were:
“Winlow Scales, head, ge 41, married, highest grade completed: 4, born in Michigan, lived in same place in 1935; occupation: laborer – Carbide Co.; Alberna Scales, wife, age 41, married, highest grade complete: 7; born in Canada, lived in same place in 1935; Margarette Scales, daughter, age 18, single, highest grade completed: H-3, born in Michigan, lived in same place in 1935; Virginia Scales, daughter, age 17, single, highest grade completed: H-2, born in Michigan, lived in same place in 1935; Ruby Scales, daughter, age 15, single, highest grade completed: H-1, born in Michigan, lived in same place in 1935; Adrian Scales, son, age 11, single, highest grade completed: 5, born in Michigan, lived in same place in 1935; Clayton Scales, son, age 10, single, highest grade completed: 4, born in Michigan, lived in same place in 1935”
According to the Chicago Tribune (Chicago IL) Saturday, July 12, 1958, page 41:
2 LAKE COUNTY MEN KILLED AS CAR OVERTURNS
1 Hurt as Convertible Leaves Highway
“Two Lake county men were killed and another was injured seriously early Friday when their car went out of control in a curve in Rollins road, east of Fox Lake, and sideswiped a tree, a telephone pole, and a culvert before overturning.
The dead are Adrian Scales, 30, of 1432 N. Channel dr., Round Lake Beach, father of five small children, and George Lewis 45, of 735 Warrior dr., Indian Hills, a tavern owner. Lewis was thrown from the car and died later in St. Therese’s hospital, Waukegan.
Suffers Head Injuries
Taken to the same hospital was Donald R. Mann, 22, of 736 Tomahawk trail, Indian Hill, driver of the car. Police said he suffered head injuries and possible internal injuries.
Deputies Carl Schmidt and Robert Charles said the car, a 1957 convertible, left the road and traveled 108 feet along a ditch before it sideswiped the tree and pole, then went another 51 feet before hitting the culvert.
The car then went back on the road, rolled over on its side, and skidded 84 feet before it overturned. Scales and Mann were pinned in the wreckage and were freed by two Fox Lake rescue squads.”
According to the Chicago Tribune (Chicago IL) Sunday, July 13, 1958, page 31:
“SCALES – Adrian W. Scales of Round Lake, Ill., suddenly, beloved husband of Ida; dear father of Adrian, David, Donald, Barbara, and Sharon; dear son of Alberna Walsh; fond brother of Clayton, Ruby DeNardo, Virginia Shunk, and Margaret Newcomb. Servies Monday, 2 p. m., at MacGillis funeral home, Round Lake, Ill. Interment Fort Hill cemetery.”