FREDERICK WILLIAM SCHEFFLER
Frederick William Scheffler gravestone
(Photo by Vernon B. Paddock)
B. May 26, 1892 in Streator, LaSalle County, IL
D. October 23, 1946 in Hainesville, Lake County, IL
Find A Grave memorial (click here)
- Father: Frederick E. Scheffler born August 1864 in Germany; Frederick died after 1942
- Mother: Frieda L. (Bauman) Scheffler born August 1874 in Germany
- Wife: Mary (Roth) Scheffler born April 29, 1896, daughter of Joseph Roth (1852-1922) and Josephine (Tix/Dix) Roth (1857-1929); Mary died Feb 1985 (See section pertaining to Mary (Roth) Scheffler buried in the Fort Hill Cemetery)
- Lillian Josephine (Scheffler) Adams born June 6, 1914 in Streator, LaSalle County, IL; married Elmer D. “Bud” Adams (1912-1968) on April 25, 1936 in Dixon, Lee County, IL, son of Elmer Adams and Sarah (Guy) Adams; Lillian died November 27, 2003; Elmer and Lillian are buried in Ridgewood Cemetery, Des Plaines, Cook County, IL; According to the Chicago Tribune (Chicago IL) Saturday, November 29, 2003, page 2-10:
“ADAMS, LILLIAN J.
Lillian J. Adams, nee Scheffler, beloved wife of the late Elmer; loving mother of Lynn (Robert) McEstes and Kim (Kathy) Adams; cherished grandmother of seven; great-grandmother of 11; and great-grandmother of one; dear sister of William (Phyllis) Scheffler; fond aunt of many nieces and nephews. Visitation Sunday 4 to 8 p.m. at Lutheran Home for the Aged, 800 W. Oakton St., Arlington Hts. Funeral Service Monday, 10 a.m. at Lutheran home. Interment Ridgewood Cemetery. Arrangements by Smith-Corcoran Funeral Home, 185 E. Northwest Hwy., Palatine, IL 60067. 847-359-8020.”
- Maxine Catherine (Scheffler) Lehnert born November 13, 1915 in Streator, LaSalle County, IL; married Harry J. Lehnert; Maxine died June 5, 1988; buried in Queen of Heaven Catholic Cemetery, Hillside, Cook County, IL; According to the Chicago Tribune (Chicago IL) Tuesday, June 7, 1988, page 10:
Maxine C. Lehnert, nee Scheffler, age 72, of Lombard, beloved wife of Harry J.; dear mother of Patricia Stefanski and Susan (Edwin) Ellison; grandmother of Brett (Gail) Stefanski, Melinda Stefanski, Corey Stefanski and Eric Ellison; dear sister of Lillian Adams, Florence (Earl) Donner, Elmer Scheffler and William (Phyllis) Scheffler; fond aunt of many. Visitation Tuesday 1 p.m. until time of service 2 p.m. at Brust Funeral Home, 135 S. Main St., Lombard. Interment Queen of Heaven. Memorials to Alzheimers Disease Foundation appreciated. 629-0094.”
- Florence Marie (Scheffler) Donner born August 31, 1918 in Streator, LaSalle County, IL; married to Earl A. Donner (unknown-2007); Florence died December 4, 1999 in Elmhurst, DuPage County, IL; Florence and Earl are buried in Memorial Park Cemetery and Crematorium, Skokie, Cook County, IL; According to the Chicago Tribune (Chicago IL) Wednesday, December 8, 1999, page 211:
“Florence M. Donner
Florence M. Donner, 81, of Addison, formerly of Arlington Heights, died Saturday in Elmhurst Hospital. Mrs. Donner, who was born in Streator, Ill., was a homemaker. “She was the most loving, caring person you’d ever want to meet,” said her husband of more than 62 years, Earl. “She was very talented, very creative. She was strictly a homemaker, the kind of person who makes a home out of a house.” Other survivors include a daughter, Kathleen Oswald; two sons, Phillip and Rev. Larry; two sisters, Lillian Adams and Billie Scheffler; a brother, Elmer Scheffler; nine grandchildren; and 18 great-grandchildren. Visitation will be held from 10 to 11 a.m. Wednesday, when a service will begin in Our Saviour’s Lutheran Church, 1234 N. Arlington Heights Rd., Arlington Heights.”
- Elmer Fredrick Scheffler born January 23, 1922 in Streator, LaSalle County, IL; last residence in Waukegan, Lake County, IL; Elmer died April 15, 2003
- William F. “Billie” Scheffler born about 1930 born in Illinois; married Phyllis
- Elmer Scheffler died in infancy
- Edna K. (Scheffler) (Westwood) Petz born August 1896 in Streator, LaSalle County, IL; married (1) Emmet Richard Westwood; married (2) Andrew J. Petz (1901-1971) on November 26, 1949 in Menominee, Menominee County, MI as his second wife; Andrew’s first wife was Mary Kiszely (1904-1946)
- George William Scheffler born July 13, 1898 in Streator, LaSalle County, IL; veteran of WW I, Private 1st Class, 4 ANTI-ACFT BN CAC; married Teresa A. Whalen (1901-1994) on November 26, 1920 in Eagle Township, LaSalle County, IL; George died December 22, 1962 in Streator, LaSalle County, IL; George and Teresa are buried in Saint Marys Cemetery, Streator, LaSalle County, IL; According to the Times (Streator IL) Saturday, December 22, 1962, page 2:
AFTER SHORT ILLNESS
A patient in St. Mary’s Hospital for nine weeks, George W. Scheffler of 304 W. Sumner St., passed away today at 2 a.m.
Friends may call after 4 o’clock Sunday afternoon at the Elias Funeral Home. The rosary will be said at 8 p. m. Sunday evening. A bried service will be held from the funeral home at 9:30 a. m. Monday prior to funeral rites at 10 a. m. in the Immaculate Conception Church.
Burial will be in St. Mary’s cemetery.
Born in Streator, July 13, 1898, he was the son of Fred and Frieda Bauman Scheffler. Nov. 26, 1920, he was married to Theresa Whalen in Eagle Twp. Sshe (sic) survives along with two daughters, Mrs. Robert (Norma) Perry of Streator; and Mrs. Dale (Joan) Pollett, DeKalb; two grandchildren, David and Bob Perry; a brother, William of Streator, and one sister, Mrs. Andrew (Edna) Petz, Milwaukee, Wis.
His parents, one sister, Mrs. Oscar (Welda) Carlson, Chicago, and one brother, Fred of Grayslake, preceded him in death.
A retired supervisor, he was employed at Owens-Illinois for 46 years.
Mr. Scheffler was a member of the V. F. W. and a veteran of World War I.
Memorials may be directed the Cancer Society.”
- William Elmer Scheffler born January 18, 1900 Streator, LaSalle County, IL; married Marguerite M. Whitten (1908-1970) on August 14, 1926 in Crown Point, Lake County, IN; William died August 16, 1973; William and Marguerite are buried in Riverview Cemetery, Streator, LaSalle County, IL; According to the Times (Streator IL) Thursday, August 16, 1973, page 4:
William E. Scheffler, 73, 1730 Baker St., died suddenly early this morning. He was pronounced dead on arrival at St. Mary’s hospital, 1:15 a. m.
Residing in Streator all of his lifetime, he retired from Owens-Illinois in 1965. He had been employed there 26 years. Mr. Scheffler was operator of Northergate trailer park.
Visitation will be after 4 p.m. Friday at Elias funeral home and Saturday morning until the time of services.
Services will be at 2 p.m. Saturday from the funeral home. Burial will be in Riverview cemetery.
Born Jan. 18, 1900 in this city, he was the son of Fred and Freida (Bauman) Scheffler. He married Marguerite Whitton, Aug. 14, 1927, in Crown Point, Ind. She died Feb. 22, 1970.
Surviving are a daughter, Mrs. Robert (Marilyn) Wahl, Streator; two grandchildren, Gregory and Lisa Wahl; and a sister, Mrs. Edna Petz, Peshtigo, Wis.
Preceding him in death beside his wife were three brothers, Fred, George and Elmer in infancy, and a sister, Mrs. Oscar (Nelda) Carlson.
Memorials may be directed to the Heart Fund.”
- Nelda (Scheffler) Carlson born about 1902 in Illinois; married Oscar M. Carlson on June 10, 1931 in Cook County, IL; Nelda died before 1962.
According to the 1900 U.S. Census for Streator City, Bruce Township, LaSalle County, IL living at 1506 Baker Street, the household members were: Fred Schiffler (sic), head, born August 1864, age 35, married 8 years, born in Germany, parents born in Germany, immigrated in 1882, occupation: coal miner; Freeda Schiffler, wife, born August 1874, age 25, married 8 years, 5 children born; 4 children living, born in Germany, parents born in Germany; Fred Schiffler, son, born May 1892, age 8, single, born in Illinois; Edna Schiffler, daughter, born August 1896, age 3, single, born in Illinois; George Schiffler, son, born July 1898, age 1, single, born in Illinois; Willie Schiffler, son, born January 1900, age 4/12, single, born in Illinois.
According to the 1910 U.S. Census for Bruce Township, LaSalle County, IL living at 1731 Barber St., the household members were: Fredrick Scheffler, head, age 45, married 19 years, born in Germany, parents born in Germany, immigrated in 1896, occupation: miner – coal mine; Freda Scheffler, wife, age 36, married for 19 years, 6 children born, 5 children living, born in Germany, parents born in Germany; Frederick Scheffler, son, age 17, single, born in Illinois, occupation: painter – lounge; Edna Scheffler, daughter, age 13, single, born in Illinois; George Scheffler, son, age 11, single, born in Illinois; William Scheffler, son, age 10, single, born in Illinois; Nelda Scheffler, daughter, age 8, single, born in Illinois
According to the U.S., World War I Draft Registration Cards, 1917-1918:
“Name in full: Fred William Scheffler; Age in yrs: 25; Home address: 206 W Marrell (illegible) St, Streator, Ill; Date of birth: May 26, 1892; Natural Born Citizen; Where were you born: Streator, Illinois; What is your present occupation: carpenter; By whom employed: American Bottle Co.; Where employed: Streator, Illinois; Have you a per solely depended on you for support: Wife two children; Married; Race: American; Do you claim exemption from draft: broken knee cap; Tall, medium or short: 5 ft 8 in; Slender, medium or stout: medium; Color of eyes: brown; Color of hair: brown; Signed: 6-5-17”
According to the 1920 U.S. Census for Streater, Bruce Township, LaSalle County, IL living at 806 Van Buren, the household members were: Frederick Scheffler, head, age 28, married, born in Illinois, parents born in Germany, occupation: painter; Mary Scheffler, wife, age 24, married, born in Illinois; Lillian Scheffler, daughter, age 5 single, born in Illinois; Maxine Scheffler, age 4 2/12, single, born in Illinois; Florence Scheffler, daughter, age 14/12, single, born in Illinois.
According to the 1930 U.S. Census for Chicago (City), Cook County, IL living at 4032 North Kimball Ave. the household members were: Fred W. Scheffler, head, age 37, married at age 21, born in Illinois; parent born in Germany, occupation: decorator – homes; Mary Scheffler, wife, age 34, married at age 17, born in Illinois, parents born in Germany; Lillian, J. Scheffler, daughter, age 15, single, born in Illinois; Maxine C. Scheffler, daughter, age 14, single, born in Illinois; Florence R. Scheffler, daughter, age 11, single, born in Illinois; Elmer F. Scheffler, son, age 8, single, born in Illinois; Billy F. Scheffler, son, age 2/12, single, born in Illinois.
According to the 1940 U.S. Census for unincorporated Johnsburg, McHenry Township, McHenry County, IL the household members were: Fred Scheffler, head, age 48, married, highest grade completed: 6, born in Illinois, lived in Chicago IL in 1935, occupation: watchman – factory; Mary Scheffler, wife, age 44, married, highest grade completed: 7, born in Illinois; Elmer Scheffler, son, age 18, single, highest grade completed: 8, born in Illinois; Billy Scheffler, son, age 10, single, highest grade completed: 3, born in Illinois
According to the U.S. World War II Draft Registration Cards, 1942:
“Name: Fred William Scheffler; Place of Residence: Grayslake, Lake County, Ill; Mailing Address: same; Telephone: none; Age in Years: 49; Date of Birth: May 26, 1892; Place of Birth: Streator, Illinois; Name and Address of Person who will Always know your Address: Fred Scheffler Sr., Streator, Illinois; Employee’s Name and Address: self; Race: White: Height: 5′ 8″; Weight: 230; Eyes: Brown; Hair: Brown: Complexion: Ruddy; Signed: April 27, 1942”
According to the Illinois, Deaths and Stillbirths Index, 1916-1947:
“Name: Frederick William Scheffler; Birth Date: 26 May 1892; Birth Place: Streator, Illinois; Death Date: 23 Oct 1946; Death Place: Hainesville, Lake, Illinois; Burial Date: 26 Oct 1946; Burial Place: Avon, Lake, Illinois; Cemetery Name: Fort Hill; Death Age: 54; Occupation: Fireman; Race: White; Marital status: M; Gender: Male; Residence: Hainesville, Lake, Illinois; Father Name: Frederick Scheffler; Father Birth Place: Germany; Mother Name: Frieda Bauman; Mother Birth Place: Germany; Spouse Name: Mary; FHL Film Number: 1991352”
According to the Decatur Herald (Decatur IL) Friday, October 25, 1946, page 7:
“Killed by Auto
“Waukegan, Oct. 24 (AP) – Fred Scheffler, 55, of rural route 1, Grayslake, was killed today on highway 120 west of Waukegan when he was struck by an automobile driven by Raymond I. Falk, Round Lake, foreman at the Oaks Products Co., North Chicago.”