MILTON CLARENCE WAHLQUIST
B. September 4, 1903 in Doon, Lyon County, IA
D. July 20, 1954 in Round Lake, Lake County, IL
Find A Grave memorial (click here)
- Father: Nels August Wahlquist born about 1863 in Mahne, Sweden; Nels died possibly in 1918 in Inwood, Lyon County, IA
- Mother: Ella Barbara (Cornelison) (Wahlquist) Severson born 1882 in Lyne, TX; married (1) Nels August Wahlquist about 1903; married (2) Albert Berhard Severson (1882-1962) on June 10, 1922 in Minnehaha County, SD; Ella died March 15, 1946 in Fairview, Lincoln County, SD; Ella and Albert are buried in Richland Cemetery, Inwood, Lyon County, IA
- Wife: Jean (Malenke) Wahlquist born December 24, 1906 in Lansford, Carbon County PA daughter of Martin Malenke (1877-1947) and Veronica Sophie (Kubala) Malenke (1878-1952); married Milton Clarence Wahlquist about 1929; Jean died April 22, 1981 in Meridian, Ingham County, MI (See section pertaining to Jean (Malenke) Wahlquist buried in the Fort Hill Cemetery)
- unamed Wahlquist born July 22, 1929 in Richland Township, Lyon County, IA
- Patricia A. (Wahlquist) Everett born March 16, 1941
- Gladys Viola (Wahlquist) Schoen born February 28, 1906 in Iowa; baptized April 8, 1906 at Bethlehem Lutheran Congregation in Inwood, IA; married William E. Schoen II (1891-1937); Gladys died March 17, 1962; Gladys and William are buried in Fairview Cemetery, Fairview, Lincoln County, SD; According to the Argus-Leader (Sioux Falls SD) Monday, April 23, 1962, page 2:
IN SIOUS FALLS
MRS. GLADYS SCHOEN, 56, of 712 S. Willow Ave., Saturday.”
- Rev. Laurain Maymie “Wally” Wahlquist born March 30, 1909 in Inwood, Lyon County, IA; married Lorraine Pearl Boone (1911-2008) on August 18, 1930 in Lawrence County, SD; World War II U.S. Maritime Service chaplain in California for five years; Methodist Church Minister in Oak Creek, Routt County, CO, South Dakota and Idaho; past executive director of Armed Forces/Embarcadero YMCA in San Francisco, CA and member for 23 years; Boy Scout leader for 17 years; last residence in Sebastopol, Sonoma County, CA; Laurain died October 17, 1982 in San Rafael, Marin County, CA; According to the Argus-Leader (Sioux Falls SD) Saturday, November 6, 1982, page 15:
SEBASTOPOL, Calif. – Laurain Wahlquist, 73, a former Methodist minister in South Dakota, died Oct. 17 in a Santa Rosa, Calif., hospital after a long illness. Services and burial were in California.
Born in Inwood, Iowa, in 1909, he was graduated from Sioux Falls College and received his master’s degree from Iliff School of Theology, Denver, Colo. He was a Methodist minister for 17 years, serving in Valley Springs, S.D., Ben Clare, S.D., and Rowena, S.D., in the 1930s.
Survivors include his wife of 52 years, Lorraine; his daughter, Charnee Smit, Berkeley, Calif., and two grandchildren.
The family requests that memorials take the form of donations to the Iliff School of Theology, Denver, Colo.”
According to the 1910 U.S. Census for Inwood Town, Richland Township, Lyon County, IA the household members were: Nels A. Wahlquist, age 47, married once for 7 years, born in Sweden, parents born in Sweden, immigrated in 1888, occupation: laborer – odd jobs; Ella B. Wahlquist, wife, age 27, married once for 7 years, 3 children born, 3 childing living, born in Texas, parents born in Norway; Milton C. Wahlquist, son, age 6, single, born in Iowa; Gladys N. Wahlquist, daughter, age 4, single, born in Iowa; Lorain M. Wahlquist, son, age 1, single, born in Iowa
According to the 1920 U.S. Census for Inwood Towns, Richland Township, Lyon County, IA living on Maple St., the household members were Ella B. Wahlquist, head, age 37, widowed, born in Texas, parents born in Norway; Milton C. Wahlquist, son, age 16, son, born in Iowa, father born in Sweden, mother born in Texas, occupation: lineman – telephone; Gladys V. Wahlquist, daughter, age 13, single, born in Iowa, Lauran M. Wahlquist, daughter, age 10, single, born in Iowa; Christine Cornelison, mother, age 62, widowed, born in Norway, parents born in Norway.
According to the 1930 U.S. Census for City of Chicago, Cook County, IL living at 2314 West 48th Street, the household members were: Milton Wahlquist, age 26, married at age 25, born in Iowa, father born in Sweden, mother born in Texas, occupation: inspector – telephone co.; Jean Wahlquist, age 24, married at age 23, born in Pennsylvania, parents born in Pennsylvania, occupation: bench worker – telephone appl. elec. co.
According to the 1940 U.S. Census for Chicago City, Cook County, IL living at 1332 Campbell Ave., the household members were: Milton Wahlquist, head, age 37, married, highest grade completed: H1, born in Iowa, lived in same place in 1935, occupation: general repair telephone – automatic telephone co.; Jean Wahlquist, wife, age 33, married, highest grade completed: 8, born in Pennsylvania, lived in same place in 1935,
According to the Lake County Illinois Genealogical Society. “Strang Funeral Home – Grayslake, Illinois – 1908-1964”. Mundelein IL. 2015:
“Name: Wahlquist, Milton C.; Birth Date: 04 Sep 1903; Birth Place: Boone, IN; Death Date: 20 Jul 1954; Death Place: Round Lake; Cause of Death: Coronary Occlusion; Married; Minister: Rev. H. Noll, Chapel; Burial Place: Fort Hill; Next of Kin: Nels Wahlquist-Father, Barbara Nelson-Mother”