DUANE RICHARD WEIGAND
Duane Richard Weigand gravestone
(Photo by Vernon B. Paddock)
B. July 23, 1922 in Wells County, ND
M. WW II Navy Veteran; PHMI
D. November 9, 1969
Find A Grave memorial (click here)
- Father: Abraham Edward “Abe” Weigand born December 13, 1886 in Lehigh, Marion County, KS; married Nita M. Eaman on April 2, 1911 in Bowdon, Wells County, NY; Abraham died August 1966 (See section pertaining to Abraham Edward “Abe” Weigand buried in the Fort Hill Cemetery)
- Mother: Nita M. (Eaman) Weigand born July 18, 1894 in Candor Township, Otter Tail County, MN, daughter of Benjamin Eugene Eaman (1871-1952) and Jessie Beatrice (Cook) (Eaman) McAuley (1871-1960); Nita died in January 9, 1965 in Waukegan, Lake County, IL (See section pertaining to Nita M. (Eaman) Weigand buried in the Fort Hill Cemetery)
- Wife: Betty M. Jack born about 1924 in Illinois; married February 21, 1950 in Cook County, IL
- Leora Catherine (Weigand) Hansen born August 21, 1912 in Weaton, ND; married Peter Andrew Hansen on July 13, 1935 in Fessenden, Wells County, NY; Leora died May 1, 1982 in Wolf Point, Roosevelt County, MT; buried in Greenwood Cemetery, Wolf Point, Roosevelt County, MT
According to the Billings Gazette (Billings MT) Wednesday, may 3, 1982, page 16:
POPLAR – Mrs. Andrew Hansen, 59, of Wolf Point died May 1 at Community Hospital in Wolf Point.
She was born Aug. 21, 1912 in Weaton, N.D., attended high school in Minot, N.D., and received nurse’s training at St. Joseph’s Hospital there.
She married Hansen July 13, 1935, at Fessenden, N.D., and they moved to Wolf Point where she was superintendent of the Community Hospital from 1947 until 1949 until 1951, and then worked again at the Wolf Point hospital until July 1971.
Survivors include the widower of Wolf Point, a daughter, Mrs. Douglas Lloyd of San Antonio, Tex.; a step-daughter, Mrs. Edwin Jensen of Wolf Point; a step-son, James Hansen of Astoria, Ore.; a sister, Mrs. Merle Anderson of Fullerton, Calif.; and nine grandchildren.
Rosary will be recited at 7 p.m. Wednesday at Clayton Memorial Chapel of Wolf Point. Services will be at 10 a.m. Thursday at Immaculate Conception Church with the Rev. Michael Guinan officiating. Burial will be at Greenwood Cemetery.”
- Dallas Laverne Weigand born 1915 in North Dakota; Dallas died 1915; buried in Bowdon Country Seventh Day Adventist Cemetery, Bowdon, Wells County, ND
- Neva M. (Weigand) Herold born about 1916 in North Dakota; married Henry James “Virgil” Herold (1913-2009) on June 18, 1936 in Brainerd, Crow Wing County, MN, son of Dr. Philip Herald (1879-1971) and Mary (Cibuzar) Herald (1882-1971); Virgil married (2) LaVonne “Bonnie” Young in 1973 after the death of Neva in 1971.
- Betty Lou (Weigand) Anderson born January 20, 1925 in North Dakota; married Merle Vincent Anderson on May 22, 1943 in Wolf Point, Roosevelt County, MT, son of Andrew Anderson and Rose Anderson; Betty Lou died May 26, 1974 in Orange County, CA.
According to the 1930 U.S. Census for Berlin Township, Wells County, North Dakota the household members were:
“Abe E. Weigand, head, age 43, married at age 24, born in Kansas, parents born in Russia, occupation: farmer – grain farm; Nita Weigand, wife, age 34, married at age 16, born in Minnesota, father born in Canada, mother born in Iowa, occupation: teacher – public school; Leora J. Weigand, daughter, age 17, single, born in North Dakota; Neva M. Weigand, daughter, age 14, single, born in North Dakota; Duncan Weigand, son, age 7, single, born in North Dakota”
According to the 1940 U.S. Census for Speedwell Township, Wells County, ND the household members were:
“Abe E. Weigand, head, age 53, married, highest grade completed: H1, born in Kansas, lived in same house in 1935, occupation: farmer – farm; Nita M. Weigand, wife, age 44, married, highest grade completed: C2, born in Minnesota, lived in same house in 1935, occupation: teacher – rural school; Duanne R. Weigand, son, age 17, single, highest grade completed: C1, born in North Dakota, lived in same house in 1935; Betty L. Weigand, daughter, single, highest grade completed: H2, born in North Dakota, lived in same house in 1935”
According to the U.S. WWII Draft Cards Young Men, 1940-1947:
“Name: Duane Richard Weigand; Place of Residence: Heaton, Wells County, N. Dak; Mailing Adress: same; Telephone: none; Age in Years: 19; Date of Birth: 7-23-1922/ Place of Birth: Wells County, N. Dak.; Name and Address of Person who will always know your Address: Mrs. A. E. Weigand, Heaton, N. Dak; Employee’s Name and Address: A. E. Weigand, Heaton, N. Dak.: Place of Employment or Business: Heaton, Wells County, N. Dak.; Height: 6′; Weight: 170; Eyes: Hazel; Hair: Brown: Complexion: Light.”
According to the 1950 U.S. Census for Proctor Village, St. Louis County, MN living on 3rd St., the household members were:
“Duane R. Weigand, head, age 27, married, born in North Dakota, Occupation: Railroad Machinist Helper – Railroad; Betty Weigand, wife, age 26, married, born in Illinois”
According to the U.S. City Directories, 1822-1995 for Duluth, MN 1957:
“Weigand Duane R firemn DM&IR r520 2d (P)”