Louisa Whitney gravestone
(Photo by Vernon B. Paddock)
B. 1846 in Ohio
D. November 9, 1857
Find A Grave memorial (click here)
- Father: Harvey Whitney born about 1821 in New York son of David Whitney (1796-1855) and Mary (Arnott) Whitney; married Eliza Ann Jump on January 19, 1842 in Lake County, OH; Harvey, a blacksmith and a farmer, died after the 1880 U.S. Census for Prairie, Keokuk County, IA
- Mother: Eliza Anna (Jump) Whitney born 1821 in Westchester County, NY daughter of Moses Jump; Eliza died November 12, 1884 in Iowa; buried in Sixteen Cemetery, Thornburg, Keokuk County, IA.
- Agnes Whitney born about 1845 in Ohio; married Theodore C. Slusser (1841-1923); Agnes died May 18, 1911 in Tulare County, CA; Agnes and Theodore are buried in Tulare Cemetery, Tulare, Tulare County, CA
- Eliza Anna “Annie” (Whitney) Eggleston born about 1850 in Illinois; married Francis U. Eggleston (1845-1895) on September 17, 1885 in Keokuk County, IA son of Uriah Eggleston and Martha H. (Littlepage) Baker Eggleston (1812-1897); Eliza died 1939; Ann and Francis are buried in Tulare Cemetery, Tulare, Tulare County, CA; According to the Tulare Advance-Register (Tulare CA) Thursday, March 26, 1936, page 1:
“LOCAL RESIDENT FOR 55 YEARS IS CALLED BEYOND – Mrs. Ann Eliza Eggleston, 86, of 161 North O street, died here early Thursday morning, of natural causes. Mrs. Eggleston had resided in Tulare 55 years. She was a native of Illinois. She is survived by one son, Harvey L. Eggleston of Tulare; and a sister, Ella Haldeman of Seattle. Her husband was the late F. U. Eggleston, Tulare pioneer. Burial rites for Mrs. Eggleston will be conducted Friday morning at 10 o’clock. The body will lie in state at the Goble parlors until that time, the cortege leaving the chapel at 10 A. M. for the local cemetery, where graveside services will be held.”
- Harvey P. Whitney born February 15, 1852 in Illinois; married Ella M. McDowell, September 17, 1880 in Keokuk County, IA; Harvey died December 21, 1899; Harvey and Ella are buried in Summit View Cemetery, Guthrie, Logan County, OK.
- Ella Almira (Whitney) Haldeman born March 1856 in Hainesville, Lake County, IL; married David Evan Haldeman (1850-1928) in 1875; Ella died January 22, 1940 in Seattle, King County, WA; Ella and David are buried in Crown Hill Cemetery, Coldwater, Comanche County, KS
- Levi Sumner Whitney born March 29, 1860 in Bremer County, IA; married Laura A. Dunn (1859-1922) on April 4, 1880 in Keokuk County, IA daughter of James Allen Dunn (1834-1895) and Jane (Clubb) Dunn (1937-1920); Levi died December 27, 1928 in Kaneville Township, Kane County, IL; Levi and Laura are buried in Novinger Cemetery, Novinger, Adair County, MO
According to the 1850 U.S. Census for the Town of Avon, Lake County, IL the household members were: Harvey Whitney, age 29, occupation: blacksmith, born in New York; Eliza A. Whitney, age 29, born in New York; Louisa Whitney, age 6, born in Ohio; Agnes Whitney, age 5, born in Ohio; Henry S. Turner, age 24, occupation: farmer, born in New York; Amy C. Turner, age 20, born in Vermont; Wallace Turner, age 2, born in Illinois.
By 1860 the Whitney family had moved to Sumner, Bremer County, IA; In 1870 and 1880 the family lived in Prairie Township, Keokuk County, IA; Harvey had been a blacksmith and a farmer during this period.