MARTHA E. WHITNEY
B. about 1842 in Ohio
D. July 22, 1860
Find A Grave memorial (click here)
- Father: David Whitney born about 1794 in New York (Unable to verify a David Whitney, born October 1796 and died November 18, 1855) buried in Diamond Lake Cemetery, Diamond Lake, Lake County, IL)
- Mother: Nancy Whitney (possibly stepmother) born about 1801 in New York; died after 1870. (See section pertaining to Nancy Whitney buried in the Fort Hill Cemetery)
- Harvey Whitney born about 1821 in New York; married Eliza Anna Jump (1821-1884) on January 19, 1842 in Lake County, OH; Eliza born 1821 in Westchester County, NY and died November 12, 1884 in Iowa; she is buried in Sixteen Cemetery, Thornburg, KIeokuk County, IA; Children: 1.) Agnes Whitney born about 1845 in Ohio, 2.) Louisa Whitney (1846-1857) (See section pertaining to Louisa Whitney buried in the Fort Hill Cemetery) 3.) Eliza Ann Eliza “Annie” (Whitney) Eggleston (1850-1939), 4.) Harvey P. Whitney (1852-1899), 5.) Ella Almira (Whitney) Haldeman (1856-1940), 6.) Levi Sumner Whitney (1860-1928)
- Levi David Whitney born December 22, 1824 in New York; married Phebe Ann Slusser (1833-1901) on June 23, 1859 in Lake County, IL; children: 1.) Carrie E. Whitney (born about 1860); 2.) Orville Whitney (1862-1881); 3.) Jennie L. (Whitney) Walsh (born about 1868); 4.) Martha J. (Whitney) Miller (1870-1946); Levi died September 19, 1911 in Chicago, Cook County, IL; buried in Lakeside Cemetery, Libertyville, Lake County, IL along with his wife, Phebe. According to Levi’s death record his mother was Mary Arnott.
- Allen B. Whitney born about 1834 in Willoughby, Lake County, OH; married Harriet J. Arnold on August 8, 1858 in Lake County, IL; children: 1.) Nancy Arnett (Whitney) Mellen (1859-1919), 2.) Arthur A. Whitney (born about 1863), 3.) Hattie Whitney (born about 1867), 4.) May Whitney (1871); Allen was a Civil War Veteran, Captain of Company B, 96th Illinois Infantry, mustered in September 5, 1862 in Rockford, IL; died 1879; buried in Grayslake Cemetery, Grayslake, Lake County, IL along with his wife, Harriet (1837-1903)
- Arthur Whitney born August 1840 in Ohio; Civil War Veteran (1861-1863), Lieutenant, Company C, 37th Illinois Infantry Regiment; died March 13, 1863 in Springfield, Greene County, MO; (See section pertaining to Arthur Whitney buried in the Fort Hill Cemetery)
Unable to verify the 1840 U.S. Census for Willoughby, Lake County, OH: David Whitney, head of household, (age 40 thru 49); 2 males (15-19), 1 male (10-14), 2 males (5-9), 1 male (under 5), 1 female (30-39), 1 female (15-19), and 1 female (10-14).
According to the 1850 U.S. Census for the Town of Avon, Lake County, IL, the household members were: David Whitney, age 56, occupation: farmer, born in New York, Nancy Whitney, age 49, born in New York; Levi Whitney, age 26, occupation: farmer, born in New York; Allen Whitney, age 16, occupation: farmer, born in Ohio; Arthur Whitney, age 16, born in Ohio; Martha E. Whitney, age 8, born in Ohio
In regards to Nancy Whitney, mother of Martha: According to the 1860 U.S. Census for the Town of Avon, Lake County, IL with a Hainesville post office, the household members were: David Whitney (AKA Levi David Whitney), age 36, occupation: farmer, born in New York; P A Whitney (Phoebe Ann), age 29, born in New York; C U Whitney (Carrie U.), age 1, born in Illinois; Nancy Whitney, age 58, born in Illinois (sic New York); Charles Woestman, age 21, occupation: farm laborer, born in Illinois.
In regards to Nancy Whitney, mother of Martha: According to the 1870 U.S. Census for the Town of Avon with a Hainesville, post office, the household members were: Levi Whitney, age 47, occupation: farmer, born in New York; Phoeba (sic) Whitney, age 38, born in New York; Carrie E. Whitney, age 10, born in Illinois; Orville Whitney, born in Illinois; Jennie Whitney, age 2, born in Illinois; Nancy Whitney, age 66, born in New York.
According to the Cook County, IL Death Index, Levi Whitney’s (1824-1911) parents were David Whitney and Mary Arnott. Mary might have David’s first wife.