EARL PORTER WILCOX
B. June 6, 1905 in Blissfield, Lenawee, MI
M. Veteran (1922) Navy
D. January 21, 1970 in Waukegan, Lake County, IL
Find A Grave memorial (click here)
- Father: Fred A. Wilcox born August 28, 1864 in Michigan; Army Veteran (1887-1888), Private, Charles Morton’s Troop A, 3rd Cavalry son of Luther Wilcox (1837-1879) and Jane Ann (Luke) Wilcox; married Nora A. Porter November23, 1890 in Odgen, Lenawee County, MI; Fred died in March 10, 1944 in Los Angeles County, CA; buried in Los Angeles National Cemetery, Los Angeles, Los Angeles County, CA; According to the Daily Telegram (Adrian MI) Monday, March 13, 1944, page 5:
“Former Resident Dies – Friends here have received word of the death last week of Fred Wilcox of Santa Monica, Calif. Mr. Wilcox was a former Blissfield resident. He is survived by two daughters Mrs. Marjorie Thompson of Toledo and Mrs. Goldie Florian of Monroe and two sons Merle of Flint and Earl of Chicago.”
- Mother: Elnora Adeline “Nora” “Addie” (Porter) Wilcox born April 1, 1871 in Lenawee County, MI daughter of John Meyers Lawrence Porter (1831-1901) and Emily (Domire) Porter (1830-1883); married (1) Fred A. Wilcox on November 23, 1890 in Ogden, Lenawee County, MI; married (2) William Hummel (1873-1947) as his second wife between 1914-1920, son of James Hummel and Elizabeth (Grimes) Hummel; William’s first wife Anna E. (Goodes) Hummel (1877-1914) were married on July 31, 1894 in Adrian, Lenawew County, MI daughter of Joseph Goodes and Sarah (Florida) Goodes; William died May 13, 1947 in Palmyra, Lenawee County, MI; William and Anna are buried in the Palmyra Village Cemetery, Palmyra, Lenawee County, MI; According to the U.S. City Directoris, 1822-1995 – Monroe, Monroe County, MI City Directory (1959): “Hummel Elnora (wid Wm ) h828 Adams”; Elnora died August 9, 1954
- Wife: Karin Maria “Corine” Peterson born September 17, 1905 in Carlsham, Sweden daughter of Ernest Peterson and Hilda (Nilson) Peterson; married Earl Porter Wilcox on August 31, 1940 in Sandusky County, OH; Corine died July 31, 1956
- David Robert Wilcox born April 5, 1928 in Chicago, Cook County, IL; WW II Army Veteran (June 1946-November 1947), Private 1st Class; married Helen Joy Dvorak, daughter of Frank Dvorak and Katherine Dvorak, on August 29, 1949 in Waukegan, Lake County, IL; last residence in Grayslake, Lake County, IL; David died October 24, 1979; buried in Avon Centre Cemetery, Grayslake, Lake County, IL
- Ralph Earl Wilcox, born March 13, 1930 in Chicago, Cook County, IL; Korean Army Veteran (April 1951-January 1953), Corporal; married Lorraine Hainline (1931-2017) on June 24, 1955 in Macomb, McDonough County, IL, daughter of Harmon W. Hainline (1909-1990) and Esther Lee Hainline (1909-1957), McDonough County, IL; last residence in Round Lake, Lake County, IL; Ralph died May 23, 2003 in Round Lake, Lake County, IL; Ralph and Lorraine are buried in Oakwood Cemetery, Macomb, McDonough County, IL; According to the Chicago Suburban Daily Herald, May 24, 2003:
“Ralph E. Wilcox of Round Lake – Funeral services for Ralph E. Wilcox, 73, will be held at 10 a.m. Wednesday, May 28, at Strang Funeral Chapel & Crematorium, Ltd., 410 E. Belvidere Road, Grayslake. Born March 13, 1930, in Chicago, to the late Corine (nee Petersen) and Earl Wilcox, he died Friday, May 23, 2003, at his home. Interment will be at 1 p.m. Thursday, in the Oakwood Cemetery, Macomb, Ill. Ralph was a Korean War veteran, and worked as an inspector for Komatsu Dresser, Libertyville, until his retirement in 1990. He is survived by his loving wife of 47 years, Lorraine (nee Hainline) Wilcox; daughter, Janice (Charles) Cochran of Alabama; grandchildren, Beth Cochran of Round Lake, and Matthew Cochran of Kentucky; 10 nephews; and four nieces. In addition to his parents, Ralph was preceded in death by brother, Dave Wilcox. Visitation will be from 4 to 8 p.m. Tuesday, at the funeral chapel. In lieu of flowers, donations may be made to Condell Hospice, 111 W. Church St., Libertyville, IL 60048. Friends may visit www.dailherald.com/obits to express condolences and sign the guest book. For funeral information, (847)223-8122.”
- Goldie Evelyn “Goldie” (Wilcox) Eddy Florian born February 11, 1893 in Blissfield, Lenawee County, MI; married (1) David L. Eddy on November 8, 1911 in Toledo, Lucas County, OH son of William Eddy and Mary (Randolph) Eddy; divorced David L. Eddy on November 23, 1935 in Monroe County, MI: married (2) Raymond R. Florian (1893-1982) on August 16, 1942 in Blissfield, Lenawee County, MI son of Herman Florian and Anna (Harvey) Florian; Goldie died June 2, 1970
- Marjorie May (Wilcox) Thompson born May 22, 1896 in Michigan, married James Albert Thompson (1891-1942) on December 4, 1915 in Lucas County, OH son of William Thompson and Emma (Murdash) Thompson; last residence in Toledo, Lucas County, OH: Marjorie died February 1970 in Ohio
- Merland D. Wilcox born March 16, 1899 in Michigan; last residence in Unionville, Tuscola County, MI; Merland died September 4, 1977 in Hampton, Bay County, MI
- Eldine Rexford Wilcox born February 22, 1903 in Michigan; Eldine died February 20, 1904 in Blissfield, Lenawee County, MI; buried in Pleasant View Cemetery, Blissfield, Lenawee County, MI
- Dorothy L. Wilcox born December 7, 1909 in Ohio; Dorothy died July 12, 1911 in Toldeo, Lucas County, OH
According to the 1910 U.S. Census for Toldedo City, Lucas County, OH living at 1684 Door Street, the household members were: Nora Wilcox, head, age 29, single, married 19 years, 6 children born, 5 children living, born in Michigan, parents born in Maryland, occupation: laundress – at home; Goldie Wilcox, daughter, age 17, single, born in Michigan, occupation: machine printer – bag factory; Marjorie Wilcox, daughter, age 13, single, born in Michigan; Earl Wilcox, son, age 4, single, born in Michigan; Dorothy Wilcox, daughter, age 1, single, born in Ohio
According to the 1920 U.S. Census for Palmyra Township, Lenawee County, MI, the household members were: William Hummell, head, age 46, married, born in Michigan, parents born in Pennsylvania, occupation: farmer – general farming; Noral Hummel, wife, age 46, married, born in Michigan, father born in Maryland, mother born in West Virginia; Earl Wilcox, son, age 14, single, born in Michigan, parents born in Michigan.
According to the 1930 U.S. Census for Chicago City, Cook County, IL living at 3304 (Rear) Sheffield Avenue, the household members were: Earl Wilcox, head, age 24, married first at age 21, born in Ohio (sic), parents born in Ohio (sic), occupation: color mixer – printing shop; Carine Wilcox, wife, age 24, first married at age 21, born in Sweden, parents born in Sweden; immigrated in 1923; David R. Wilcox, son, age 1 11/12, single, born in Illinois; Earl Wilcox Jr., son, age 0/12, single, born in Illinois.
According to the 1940 U.S. Census for Chicago, Cook County, IL, living at 3539 Belmont Avenue, the household members were: Earl Wilcox, head, age 34, married, highest grade completed: 8, born in Michigan, lived in same place in 1935, occupation: laborer – printers inks; Corine Wilcox, wife, age 34, married, highest grade completed: 8, born in Sweden, alien citizenship, lived in same place in 1935, occupation: candy wrappers – candy factory; Dave Wilcox, son, age 12, single, , highest grade completed: 6, born in Illinois, lived in same place in 1935; Ralph Wilcox, son, age 10, single, highest grade completed: 4, born in Illinois, lived in same place in 1935.
According to “A Genealogy of the Porter Family of Maryland, West Virginia, Michigan”; by Samuel Doak Porter 1896-1966; published 1971; pages 79-80:
“afbefhe EARL PORTER WILCOX, son of Elnora A. Porter (agbafh) and Fred A. Wilcox, was born June 6, 1905, in Blissfield, Mich. He served with the U.S. Navy in 1922. On Sept. 17, 1925, at Chicago, Ill., he married Karin Maria Peterson, who was born Sept. 17, 1905 at Carisham, Sweden. She died July 31, 1956. Earl lives in Round Lake, Ill. Their children are
*agbafhea David Robert Wilcox 1928-
*agbafheb Ralph Earl Wilcol 1930-“
According to the Daily Sentinel (Woodstock IL) Friday, January 23, 1970, page 14:
“EARL PORTER WILCOX – ROUND LAKE – Funeral services for Earl Porter Wilcox, 64, 405 Cedar Lake Road, Round Lake, father of Dave Wilcox of McHenry, were held at 1 p.m. today in the Strand (sic Strang) funeral home, Grayslake. Burial was in Fort Hill cemetery, Round Lake.
He died Wednesday, Jan. 21, in St. Therese Hospital, Waukegan.
He was a resident of Round Lake for 28 years. He was preceded in death by his wife, Corine.
Survivors include another son, Ralph, Round Lake; three grandchildren; a brother; and two sisters.”