Lettie Willson gravestone
(Photo by Vernon B. Paddock)
B. April 21, 1866
D. June 11, 1868 (ae 2 yrs 1 mo 21 ds)
Find A Grave memorial (click here)
- Father: Edward Salisbury Willson born August 10, 1841 in Jefferson County, NY; married Rachel Ann Lindsey on April 18, 1864 in Lake County, IL; A Civil War Veteran (January 28, 1864 – July 2, 1865), Sgt. 45th Illinois Infantry, Company I; Edward died July 18, 1917 in Arbela, Scotland County, MO; buried in Hickory Grove Cemetery, Arbela, Scotland County, MO
According to the Stillwater Gazette (Stillwater OK), Friday, August 24, 1917, page 1:
“Edward Salisbury Willson.
Edward Salisbury Willson was born August 10, 1841, in Jefferson county, New York, and died July 18, 1917, at the home of his daughter at Arbela, Mo. He was 75 years, 11 months, and 8 days old. His death followed an illness of a few months. The decedent was formerly a resident of Stillwater, and many times during his illness he remarked that his only wish was that he might live to make one more visit here. He leaves two sons and one daughter, Jay W. Willson, of St. Joseph, Mo.; Edward and L. Willson of Celxico, Calif., and Mrs. J. A. Found, of Gorin; ten grandchildren and two great-grandchildren. The funeral was held at the M. E. church in Arbela, Mo., July 21, 1917, at 10 o’clock, the Rev. J. E. Elliott officiating, after which the remains laid to rest in Hickory Grove cemetery.”
- Mother: Rachel Ann (Lindsey) Willson born November 19, 1844 in Pennsylvania, daughter of James Lindsey (1805-1892) and Lydia (Lewis) Lindsey (1813-1901); Rachel died June 13, 1916 in Stillwater, Payne County, OK; buried in Fairlawn Cemetery, Stillwater, Payne County, OK
- Jay W. Willson born October 1868 in Illinois; married (1) Louise Townsend on April 30, 1894 in St. Joseph, Buchanan County, MO and divorced about 1900; married (2) Ruby Kelly; Jay was living in Wolf River, Doniphan County, KS with his son, Charles in 1940; Jay died August 24, 1947 in Troy, Doniphan County, KS
- Ellen Willson born about 1871 in Iowa
- Edward Logan Willson born September 22, 1880 in Missouri; married Cara E. (1881-1948); Edward died September 3, 1955 in Pomona, Los Angeles County, CA; buried in Pomona Valley Memorial Park, Pomona, Los Angeles County, CA
- Sarah Esther “Sadie” (Willson) Found born September 4, 1885 in Centerville, Appanoose County, IA; married (1) John Henry Pointer (1880-1912) on May 22, 1902; married (2) John Arthur Found (1878-1966) on June 22, 1916, son of James Tamlin Found (1852-1894) and Frances Eliza (Bates) Found (1854-1916); Sarah died November 24, 1972 in Memphis, Scotland County, MO; Sarah and James are buried in Hickory Grave Cemetery, Arbela, Scotland County, MO
According to the findagrave.com website, Memorial #73089383, created by contributor “Paggy Dochterman”:
“Sarah Esther Found, daughter of Rachel Anne Lindsay and Edward Salisbury Willson, was born September 4, 1885, at Centerville, Iowa and departed this life at Kisling Nursing Home, November 24, 1972, Memphis, Missouri.
On May 22, 1902, she was married to John Henry Pointer. He passed away September 1912.
June 22, 1916, she was married to John Arthur Found. They celebrated their 50th wedding anniversary in 1966.
She became a Christian at an early age and continued her Christian witness during her lifetime. She has been a member of the Arbela Methodist Church since 1930. She was a member of the Memphis Rebekah Lodge and was a charter member and the first Noble Grand of Faye Rebekah Lodge of Arbela.
She was preceded in death by her parents, husband, Arthur; three daughters, Rachel, Mildred, and Betty and one son, Wilson.
She leaves to mourn her passing, daughter, Beulah, Mrs. Harley Nelson of Montclair, California; son, Harry E. Pointer, Loveland, Colorado; daughter, Grace, Mrs. J. C. Gilbert, Maysville, Missouri; and daughter, Helen, Mrs. Homer Guy, Trenton, Missouri; also sons-in-law and a daughter-in-law; 18 grandchildren; 32 great grandchildren; and two great great grandchildren; sisters-in-law; nieces; nephews; and a host of friends.
She had spent the last six years at Kisling Nursing Home, where she was lovingly cared for.
She was a kind and loving mother and friend and will be greatly missed by those who knew and loved her.
Funeral services were held Monday, November 27, 1972, at 1:00 p.m. in the Methodist Church, Arbela, Missouri. The Rev. Ernest Deatrick officiated. Burial was in the Hickory Grove Cemetery. Body bearers were Okie D. Boyer, Karl J. Kraus, Stanley Adams, Leland Harvey, J. C. Hoskinson, and Richard Stevenson.
Memphis Democrat – Memphis, Missouri – November 30, 1972 ed.”
(NOTE: Lettie Wilson was a cousin of Hettie L. Lindsey and Eddie H. Lindsey, also buried in the Fort Hill Cemetery (See section pertaining to Hettie L. Lindsey buried in the Fort Hill Cemetery) (See section pertaining to Eddie H. Lindsey buried in the Fort Hill Cemetery) The two fathers and one mother, Jacob D. Lindsey, Samuel Hiram Lindsey and Rachal Ann (Lindsey) Willson were siblings. In 1850, according to the U.S. Census records, the parents of Jacob, Samuel, and Rachel and their siblings were living in Avon Township, Lake County, IL. The Lindsey family originated from Pennsylvania, came to Lake County, IL and eventually moved further west. The genealogy of the Lindsey family:
- James Lindsey born 1805 in Pennsyvlania; married Lydia Lewis in 1828; James died March 12, 1892 in Centerville, Appanoose County, IA; buried in Oakland Cemtery, Centerville, Appanoose County, IA
- Lydia (Lewis) Lindsey born August 9, 1813 in Conneaut Center, Crawford County, PA; Lydia died July 22, 1901 in Cincinnati, Appanoose County, IA; buried in Oakland Cemetery, Centerville, Appanoose county, IA
- Jacob D. Lindsey born April 5, 1830 in Crawford County, PA; married Jane Catherine Webb (1835-1906) on May 3, 1855; by 1860, Jacob and Janes were in Taylor, Appanoose County, IA; Jacob died December 29, 1907 in Mercer County, MO; Jacob and Jane are buried in Lowry Snyder Cemetery, Mercer, Mercer County, MO
- Samuel Hiram Lindsey born June 8, 1832 in Crawford County, PA; married Ellen Augusta Ingalls (1838-?) on December 21, 1854 in Lake County, IL; by 1870 Samuel and Ellen were living in Sumner, Bremer County, IA; Samuel died January 25, 1900 in Minneiska, Wabasha County, MN; buried in Hillside Cemetery, Minneiska, Wabasha County, MN
- William James Lindsey born January 2, 1835 in Pennsylvania; Civil War Veteran, 96th Illinois Infantry, Company B; Muster in October 11, 1864 and transferred to Company G, 21st Illinois Infantry on June 9, 1865
- Harriet Lindsey born May 15, 1837 in Pennsylvania; Harriet died November 5, 1838
- Elizabeth Ann (Lindsey) Hawkins born August 19, 1839; married Loren W. Hawkins (1836-1881); Elizabeth died February 16, 1910; Elizabeth and Loren are buried in Evergreen Cemetery, Cincinnati, Appanoose County, IA
- Mary A. (Lindsey) (Brand) Bateman born March 19, 1841 in Pennsylvania; married William Bateman in October 1910 in Seymour County, IA; Mary died June 1, 1931 in Corydon, Wayne County, IA; Mary and William are buried in Promise City Cemetery, Promise City, Wayne County, IA
- Rachel Ann (Lindsey) Willson born November 19, 1844 in Pennsylvania; married Edward Salisbury Willson (1841-1917) on April 18, 1864 in Lake County, IL a Civil War Veteran (January 28, 1864 – July 12, 1865), Sgt. 45th Illinois Infantry, Company I; Rachael died June 13, 1916 in Stillwater, Payne County, OK; buried in Fairlawn Cemetery, Stillwater, Payne County, OK
- David Lewis Lindsey born June 6, 1947 in Lake County, IL; married (1) Sarah Ketner Crater (1850-1923) in 1869; married (2) Rachel Jane McGlaughlen in 1924 in Brown County, IL; David died August 16, 1924 in Versailles, Brown County, IL; David, Sarah and Rachael are buried in West Side Cemetery, Versailles, Brown County, IL
- Alsena Lindsey born February 3, 1850 in Illinois; Alsena died March 5, 1850
- Joseph Lindsey born October 6, 1851 in Illinois; Joseph died March 12, 1852
- Franklin Pierce “Frank” Lindsey born September 26, 1855 in Lake County, IL; married Lucinda Armstrong (1859-1941); Franklin died May 15, 1918 in El Paso County, CO; Franklin and Lucinda are buried in Diamond Grove Cemetery, Jacksonville, Morgan County, IL
- Lydia F. (Lindsey) Huston born January 12, 1857 in Illinois; married Frederick Clarence Huston (1855-1932) on November 21, 1880 in Appanoose County, IA; Lydia died in 1944; Lydia and Frederick are buried in Newton Burial Park, Nevada, Vernon County, MO