FRANK CHRIST CLOOS
Frank Christ Cloos gravestone
(Photo by Vernon B. Paddock)
B. March 31, 1901 in Chicago, Cook County, IL
D. October 29, 1962 in Chicago, Cook County, IL
Find A Grave memorial (click here)
- Father: Tonis “Louis” N. Cloos born December 3, 1876 in Germany; immigrated to U.S. in 1890; married Marie “Mary” Denier on October 26, 1898 in Chicago, Cook County, IL; died August 25, 1955 in Albuquerque, NM; buried in Sunset Memorial Park, Albuquerque, Bernalillo County, NM; according to the Albuquerque Journal (Albuquerque NM) Saturday, August 27, 1955, page 2: “Louis N. Cloos, 78, Dies at Home Here – Louis N. Cloos, 78, retired baker and resident of Albuquerque seven years, died Thursday at his home, 5117 Pastura Place NW, following a long illness. He was a member of Elks Lodge No. 461, and had come here from Chicago. Survivors include his wife, Mary; a sister, Mrs. Catherine Manternach of Albuquerque; a daughter, Mrs. Walter L. Paterson of El Paso; a son, Frank, of Chicago; a grandson and a great grandson. Funeral services will be held at 2 o’clock today in French-Fitzgerald Mortuary, with burial following in Sunset Memorial Park.”
- Mother: Mary (Denier) Cloos born April 1879 in Germany; immigrated to U.S. in 1892; died July 1965; buried in Sunset Memorial Park, Albuquerque, Bernalillo County, NM; according to the Albuquerque Journal (Albuquerque NM) Friday, July 2, 1965, page 2: “CLOOS – Services for Mrs. Mary D. Cloos will be held Saturday afternoon at 2 o’clock form the Chapel in the Garden of the French Mortuary, 1111 University NE. Interment will be made in Sunset Memorial Park.”; according to the El Paso Herald-Post (El Paso TX) Thursday, July 1, 1965, page 43: “CLOOS – Mrs. Mary D. Cloos, 86, 3203 Cork St., passed away Tuesday. She had been a resident at El Paso 8 years. Survivors, daughters, Mrs. Helen Peterson, El Paso, Miss Catherine Kana, Chicago, Ill. Mrs. Dorothy Norling, Lake Villa, Ill., grandson, Frank J. Cloos, Lake Villa, Ill., and 1 great-grandson. Funeral services will be held at 5 p.m. Thursday in the Harding-Orr & McDaniel Pershing Dr Chapel with Dr. Charles de Vries officiating. She will be taken to Albuquerque where services will be held at 2 p.m. Saturday in the French Funeral Home. Interment will be in Albuquerque. Arrangements by Harding-Orr & McDaniel Pershing Dr.”
- Wife: Dorothy born September 9, 1905 (possibly Anderson or Shaw, daughter of Minnie Huebner (Hermann) Shaw died 1949); Dorothy remarried a Norling; last residence Lake Villa, Lake County, IL; died March 1980
- Frances “Frank” James Cloos born December 13, 1928 in Cook County, IL; died 1970 (See section pertaining to Frances “Frank” James Cloos buried in the Fort Hill Cemetery)
- Helen (Cloos) Peterson born May 1899 in Illinois; married Walter L, Peterson
According to the 1910 U.S. Census for City of Chicago, Cook County, IL living at 2309 Cooper St., the household members were: Louis N. Cloos, head, age 33, married once for 11 years, born in Luxemburg Germany, parents born in Luxemburg Germany, immigrated in 1891, occupation: baker – bread bakery; Marie Cloos, wife, age 30, married once for 11 years, 2 children born, 2 children living, born in Germany, father born in Germany, mother born in France, immigrated in 1893; Helen E. Cloos, daughter, age 10, single, born in Illinois; Frank E. Cloos, son, age 9, single, born in Illinois
According to the 1920 U.S. Census for Chicago City, Cook County, IL living at 3616 N Hamilton Ave., the household members were Louis L. Cloos, head, age 43, married, born in Luxemburg, parents born in Luxemburg, occupation: baker – baker shop; Mary Cloos, wife, age 40, married, Rhine Germany, father born in Rhine Germany, mother born in Alsace-Lorraine; Helen Cloos, daughter, age 20, single, born in Illinois, occupation: operator – switch board; Frank Cloos, son, age 19, single, born in Illinois.
According to the 1930 U.S. Census for City of Chicago, Cook County, IL living at 3945 Christiana, the household members were: Frank Cloos, head, married at age 27, born in Illinois, parents born in Germany, occupation: carpenter – building; Dorothy Cloos, wife, age 24, married at age 22, born in Illinois, parents born in Germany; Frank Cloos Jr., son, age 1 4/12, single, born in Illinois; Louis Cloos, father, age 52, married at age 20, born in Germany, parents born in Germany, immigrated in 1890, occupation: baker – baker shop.
According to the 1940 U.S. Census for Chicago City, Cook County, IL, living at 2117 North Cicero Avenue, the household members were Frank Cloos Sr., head, age 39, married, highest grade completed: 8, born in Illinois, lived in same place in 1935, occupation: roofer – roofing company; Dorothy Cloos, wife, age 34, married, highest grade completed: 8, born in Illinois, lived in same place in 1935, occupation: beauty operator – beauty shop; Frank Cloos Jr., son, age 11, single, born in Illinois, lived in same place in 1935.
According to the McHenry Plaindealer (McHenry IL) Thursday, August 21, 1947, page 9:
“REAL ESTATE ASSESSMENT LIST FOR 1947
Valuations of Real Estate in McHenry Township
Deep Springs Woods, Unit No. 2 (Wonder Lake)
Frank C. and Dorothy Cloos, lt 31 blk 13”
According to the Albuquerque Journal (Albuquerque NM) Thursday, October 28, 1948, page 14:
“Mr. and Mrs. Cloos Celebrate Anniversary With Dinner Party
“Mr. and Mrs. Tonis N. Cloos celebrated their 50th wedding anniversary Tuesday with a dinner at the Alvarado. They were married in Chicago Oct. 26, 1898, and lived there until last month when they bought a home at 5117 Pastura Place, after Mr. Cloos retired from the bakery business.
Their children are Frank Cloos, of Round Lake, Ill.; and Mrs. Walter Peterson, Guadalupe Trail. They also have one grandson, Frank James Cloos. Many telegrams and messages came to them from friends in Chicago on their anniversary.”
According to the 1950 U.S. City Directories, 1822-1995 for Albuquerque, NM:
Cloos Frank C roofer r5117 Pastura pl
Cloos Louis N (Mary) baker h5117 Pastura pl
According to the Chicago Tribune (Chicago IL) Thursday, November 1, 1962, page 86:
“CLOOS – Frank C. Cloos, age 61, of Chicago; dear father of Frank J. of Lake Villa, Ill.; beloved son of Mary, nee Denier, of El Paso, Taxes; fond brother of Mrs. Walter (Helen) Peterson, of El Paso, Texas. Member of Roofers Union Local 11. Resting at Strang Funeral Chapel, 410 E. Belvidere street, Grayslake, after 7 p.m., Thursday. Funeral services 2:30 p.m. Friday, Interment Fort Hill Cemetery, Round Lake, Ill. Baldwin 3-8521.”