LEMUEL CLARK DAVIS
Frances, Lemuel, Cora, Estella, wife Sarah and Clara Davis (1864)
(Photo by Findagrave.com contributor Joseph Bowman)
Lemuel Clark Davis gravestone
(Photo by Vernon B. Paddock)
B. October 1, 1822 in Canandaigua, Ontario County, NY
D. March 11, 1915
Find A Grave memorial (click here)
- Father: Lemuel Davis born about 1790 in Stafford, Tolland County, CT son of Lemuel Davis (1755-?) and Abigail (Fuller) Davis (1759-?); Lemuel died March 11, 1856 in Avon Township, Lake County, IL (See section pertaining to Lemuel Davis buried in the Fort Hill Cemetery).
- Mother: Clarissa “Clara” (Denney) Davis born 1795 in New York; Clarissa died March 27, 1856 (See section pertaining to Clarissa “Clara” (Denney) Davis buried in the Fort Hill Cemetery).
- Wife 1: Sarah H. (Grant) Davis born July 28, 1825 Sodus, Wayne County, NY daughter of Samuel Grant and Caroline (Conant) Grant; married Lemuel Clark Davis in 1845 in Orleans County, NY; Sarah died December 3, 1873 (See section pertaining to Sarah (Grant) Davis buried in the Fort Hill Cemetery).
- Wife 2: married Hariette (unknown) born in 1826 in New York; possibly married between 1873 and 1880 in Lake County, IL
- Frances Rosa “Rose” (Davis) Parker born about October 20, 1848 in Ridgeway, Orleans County, NY; married William B. Parker (1848-1921) on September 21, 1876 in Cook County, IL; Frances died December 30, 1921 in Buchanan, Berrien County, MI; Rose and William are buried in Grayslake Cemetery, Grayslake, Lake County, IL
- Cora Louise (Davis) Lobdell born May 1, 1851 in Lake County, IL; married Frank Lobdell (1849-1910) on October 27, 1873 in Lake County, IL; Cora died November 16, 1936 in San Jose, Santa Clara County, CA; Cora and Frank are buried in Los Gatos Memorial Park, San Jose, Santa Clara County, CA.; According to the San Francisco Examiner (San Francisco CA) Wednesday, November 18, 1936, page 15:
“SANTA CLARA COUNTY – DEATHS – LOBDELL – In San Jose, Nov. 16, Clara L. Lobdell, age 85 years.”
3. Estelle “Stella” (Davis) (Shower) Sackett born June 5, 1858 in Iowa; married (1) Andrew Jackson Shower (1838-1886) on September 16, 1883 in Santa Clara County, CA. Andrew was a Civil War veteran, Co. D, 4th Michigan Volunteer Infantry; married (2) George Warren Sackett (1869-1908) son of George Warren Sackett Jr. (1846-1878) and Julia Angeline (Henry) Sackett (1847-1870); Estelle died February 27, 1951 in San Francisco, CA; buried at Cypress Lawn Memorial Park, Colma, San Mateo County, CA; According to the San Francisco Examiner (San Francisco CA) Saturday, March 3, 1951, page 13:
“SACKETT – In this city, Feb. 27, 1951, Estelle Sackett, loving mother of Mrs. Clara Wynkoop and Mrs. Bertha Humphrey, devoted grandmother of Mrs. J. R. Lepard, Mrs. Marjorie Roberts, Mrs. Edward Shaw, Andrew J. Humphrey, Mrs. William Watson, Mrs. R. J. Bakla, George W. and Claude M. Grokett and survived by 12 great-grandchildren and 2 great-great-grandchildren, aged 92 years; a native of Iowa. Friends are invited to attend the funeral 2 p. m. Saturday, March 3, at Grav’s. Divisadero St. at Post.”
4. Clara E. (Davis) Lawson born October 25, 1870 in Hainesville, Lake County, IL; married Frank Lawson (1853-?) on August 13, 1889 in Chicago, Cook County, IL; Clara died November 15, 1937 in Niles, Berrien County, MI.; Clara is buried in Grayslake Cemetery, Grayslake, Lake County, IL; According to the Herald-Press (Saint Joseph MI) Monday, November 15, 1937, page 5:
“MRS. FRANK LAWSON OF BUCHANAN DIES – BUCHANAN, Nov. 15 (Special). – Mrs. Clara L. Lawson, 67, of 222 South Potage steet (sic), died at 7:30 o’clock this moning (sic) in Pawating hospital at Niles. Death was due to a complication of diseases. She was the wife of Fank (sic) Lawson and wan bon (sic) Oct. 25, 1870 in Hainesville, Ill., and came to Buchanan 17 years ago from Gray’s Lake, Ill. Besides her husband, she leaves one sister, Mrs. Stella Sackett of San Francisco, Calif. Funeral services will be conducted in the T. D. Childs funeral home Tuesday night at 8 o’clock by the Rev. W. H. Brunelle, Presbyterian pastor. The body will be taken to Gray’s Lake for services at 2:30 o’clock Wednesday afternoon and burial there.”
- Phoebe (Davis) Farrand born April 28, 1820 in Ontario County, NY; married William Farrand in New York; Phoebe died January 31, 1901 in Sumner, Bremer County, IA; buried in Wilson Grove Cemetery, Sumner, Bremer County, IA
- Roxanna (Davis) Delap Briggs born about 1826 in New York; married (1) William H. Delap about 1852; married (2) Albert Briggs on November 19, 1887 in Athens, Calhoun County, MI son of Austin Briggs (1786-1862) (See section pertaining to Austin Briggs buried in the Fort Hill Cemetery) and Annis (Town) Briggs (1788-1862) (See section pertaining to Annis (Town) Briggs buried in the Fort Hill Cemtery). Roxanna and William had the following children: Rollin Sanford (1854-?), William (1856-?) and Clara (1861-?) all born in Avon Township, Lake County, IL.
- Wesley Davis born about 1827 in Ontario County, NY
- Maria (Davis) Wright Abrams born about 1834 in Ontario County, NY; married (1) Orlando Saltmarsh Wright (1829-1917) a Justice of the Peace and Doctor, July 25, 1851 in Lake County, IL; married (2) Henry D. Abrams on December 12, 1889 in Franklin County, IA; Maria died October 10, 1923.
According to the 1850 U.S. Census for the Town of Avon, Lake County, IL the household members were: Lemuel Davis, age 30, occupation: farmer, born in New York; Sarah Davis, age 26, born in New York; Frances Davis, age 3, born in New York.
According to the 1860 U.S. Census in the Town of Avon, Lake County, IL with a Fox Lake post office, the household members were: L. C. Davis, age 38, born in New York, occupation: merchant; Sarah Davis, age 31, born in New York; Rosella Davis, age 12, born in New York; Cora Davis, age 10, born in New York; and Estelle Davis, age 2, born in Iowa.
According to the U.S. IRS Tax Assessment Lists, 1862-1918 for Division No. Eight of Collection District No. Two of the State of Illinois in 1862:
“Sept 1st, Davis Lemuel C, residing in Hainesville, Class B-Licenses: retail dealer in liquor, Amount of Tax: 20.00”
According to the 1870 U.S. Census in the Town of Avon, Lake County, IL the household members were: Lewis C (Lemuel), age 47, occupation: farmer, born in New York; Sarah Davis, age 44, born in New York; Rosa Davis, age 22, born in New York; Cora Davis, age 19, born in Illinois; Stella Davis, age 12, born in Iowa; Clara Davis, age 9/12, born in September in Illinois; Samuel Grant, age 82, retired, born in New York. In 1894, Lemuel Clark Davis was living in Kern County, CA.
According to the California, Voter Registers, 1866-1898 for Santa Clara County, CA 1890:
“No.: 2612, Name: Davis Lemuel C, age 68, Country of Nativity: U S, Occupation: Farmer, Local Residence: Mountain View, Date of Registration: October 4, 1890”
According to the California, Voter Registers, 1866-1898 for Kern County, CA, 1894:
“No. 996, Name: Davis Lemuel Clark, Age: 71, Height: 5 ft. 4 ½ in., light complexion, blue eyes, gray hair, Occupation: Farmer, Nativity: New York, Residence: Greenhorn, Precinct: Greenhorn, Post Office: Glennville”
According to the California, Voter Registrations, 1900-1968 for Vineland Precinct, Santa Clara County, CA, 1900 three 1906:
“No. 48, Name: Davis Lemuel C, Age 79, Street Address: Los Gatos & Saratoga Rd”
According to the 1910 U.S. Census for Richmond City, Fifteenth Township, Contra Costa County, CA the household members were: Estella Sackett, head, age 50, divorced, born in Iowa, parents born in New York, occupation: none; Lemuel C. Davis, father, age 87, widowed, born in New York, father born in Connecticut, mother born in New York, occupation: none; Andrew Humphery, grandson, age 5, single, born in California, father born in Tennessee, mother born (illegible)