SARAH H. (GRANT) DAVIS
Sarah H. (Grant) Davis
(photo by Ancestry.com contributor jpbowman)
Sarah H. (Grant) Davis gravestone
(Photo by Vernon B. Paddock)
B. July 1825 in Ontario County, NY
D. December 3, 1873
Find A Grave memorial (click here)
- Father: Samuel Grant born about 1789 in New Jersey; Samuel died May 25, 1872 in Lake County, IL (See section pertaining to Samuel Grant buried in the Fort Hill Cemetery)
- Mother: Caroline Conant born June 25, 1797 in Wayne County NY; married Samuel Grant on August 16, 1816 in Ontario County, NY; Caroline died June 22, 1867 in Hartland, Niagara County, NY
- Husband: Lemuel Clark Davis born October 1, 1822 in Manine Township, Canadaigua, Ontario County, NY son of Lemuel Davis (1790-1856) and Clarissa “Clara” (Denney) Davis (1795-1856); married about 1845 as his first wife; he married (2) Hariette (unknown) between 1873 and 1880 in Lake County, IL; Lemuel died March 11, 1915 (See section pertaining to Lemuel Clark Davis buried in the Fort Hill Cemetery)
- Frances Rosa “Rose” (Davis) Parker born about October 20, 1848 in Ridgeway, NY; married William B. Parker (1848-1921) on September 21, 1876 in Cook County, IL; Frances died December 30, 1921 in Buchanan, Berrien County, MI; Rose and William are buried in Grayslake Cemetery, Grayslake, Lake County, IL
- Cora Louise (Davis) Lobdell born May 1, 1851 in Lake County, IL; married Frank Lobdell (1849-1910) on October 27, 1873 in Lake County, IL; Cora died November 16, 1936 in San Jose, Santa Clara County, CA; Cora and Frank are buried in Los Gatos Memorial Park, San Jose, Santa Clara County, CA.; According to the San Francisco Examiner (San Francisco CA) Wednesday, November 18, 1936, page 15:
“SANTA CLARA COUNTY – DEATHS – LOBDELL – In San Jose, Nov. 16, Clara L. Lobdell, age 85 years.”
3. Estelle “Stella” (Davis) (Shower) Sackett born June 5, 1858 in Iowa; married (1) Andrew Jackson Shower (1838-1886) on September 16, 1883 in Santa Clara County, CA. Andrew was a Civil War veteran, Co. D, 4th Michigan Volunteer Infantry; married (2) G. W. Sackett; Estelle died February 27, 1951 in San Francisco, CA; buried at Cypress Lawn Memorial Park, Colma, San Mateo County, CA.; According to the San Francisco Examiner (San Francisco CA) Saturday, March 3, 1951, page 13:
“SACKETT – In this city, Feb. 27, 1951, Estelle Sackett, loving mother of Mrs. Clara Wynkoop and Mrs. Bertha Humphrey, devoted grandmother of Mrs. J. R. Lepard, Mrs. Marjorie Roberts, Mrs. Edward Shaw, Andrew J. Humphrey, Mrs. William Watson, Mrs. R. J. Bakla, George W. and Claude M. Grokett and survived by 12 great-grandchildren and 2 great-great-grandchildren, aged 92 years; a native of Iowa. Friends are invited to attend the funeral 2 p. m. Saturday, March 3, at Grav’s. Divisadero St. at Post.”
4. Clara E. (Davis) Lawson born October 25, 1870 in Hainesville, Lake County, IL; married Frank Lawson (1853-?) on August 13, 1889 in Chicago, Cook County, IL; Clara died November 15, 1937 in Niles, Berrien County, MI.; Clara is buried in Grayslake Cemetery, Grayslake, Lake County, IL; According to the Herald-Press (Saint Joseph MI) Monday, November 15, 1937, page 5:
“MRS. FRANK LAWSON OF BUCHANAN DIES – BUCHANAN, Nov. 15 (Special). – Mrs. Clara L. Lawson, 67, of 222 South Potage steet (sic), died at 7:30 o’clock this moning (sic) in Pawating hospital at Niles. Death was due to a complication of diseases. She was the wife of Fank (sic) Lawson and wan bon (sic) Oct. 25, 1870 in Hainesville, Ill., and came to Buchanan 17 years ago from Gray’s Lake, Ill. Besides her husband, she leaves one sister, Mrs. Stella Sackett of San Francisco, Calif. Funeral services will be conducted in the T. D. Childs funeral home Tuesday night at 8 o’clock by the Rev. W. H. Brunelle, Presbyterian pastor. The body will be taken to Gray’s Lake for services at 2:30 o’clock Wednesday afternoon and burial there.”
- Emily (Grant) Richards born March 22, 1823 in Pennsylvania; married (1) Nases LeGore; married (2) Alfred Richards, Sr. on September 6, 1892 in Berrien Springs, Berrian County, MI; Emily died January 20, 1915 in Buhanan, Berrien County, MI
- William S. Grant born March 11, 1838 in New York; William died March 30, 1909 in Buchanan, Berrien County, MI; buried in Weesaw Township, Berrien County, MI
- Caroline S. “Carrie” Grant born 1840 in New York; Caroline died March 16, 1916 in Buchanan, Berrien County, MI; buried in Galien Township Cemetery, Balien, Berrien County, MI
According to the 1850 U.S. Census for the Town of Avon, Lake County, IL the household members were: Lemuel Davis, age 30, occupation: farmer, born in New York; Sarah Davis, age 26, born in New York; Frances Davis, age 3, born in New York.
According to the 1860 U.S. Census in the Town of Avon, Lake County, IL with a Fox Lake post office, the household members were: L. C. Davis, age 38, occupation, born in New York: merchant; Sarah Davis, age 31, born in New York; Rosella Davis, age 12, born in New York; Cora Davis, age 10, born in New York; and Estelle Davis, age 2, born in Iowa.
According to the 1870 U.S. Census In 1870 in Town of Avon, Lake County, IL the household members were: Lewis C (Lemuel), age 47, occupation: farmer, born in New York; Sarah Davis, age 44, born in New York; Rosa Davis, age 22, born in New York; Cora Davis, age 19, born in Illinois; Stella Davis, age 12, born in Iowa; Clara Davis, age 9/12, born in September in Illinois; Samuel Grant, age 82, retired, born in New York. In 1894, Lemuel Clark Davis was living in Kern County, CA.