VEORA CAROLINE (VROMAN) HESER
Veora Caroline (Vroman) Heser gravestone
(Photo by Vernon B. Paddock)
B. April 7, 1912 in Grant Township, Monroe County, WI
D. December 4, 2000 in Libertyville, Lake County, IL
Find A Grave memorial (click here)
- Father: William Henry “Will” Vroman born July 29, 1870 in Oconomoc, Waukesha County, WI son of James Myers Vroman (1848-1924) and Caroline Louisa “Carrie” (Vandervort) Vroman (1848-1933); married Estella Belle Lamb on February 1, 1891; died September 12, 1949 in Sparta, Sparta Township, Monroe County, WI; buried in LaGrange Cemetery, Tomah, Monroe County, WI
- Mother: Estella Belle (Lamb) Vroman born November 14, 1875 in Wisconsin daughter of Lewis Alexander Lamb and Mary Caroline (Peters) Lamb; died December 2, 1944 in Warrens, Monroe County, WI; buried in LaGrange Cemetery, Tomah, Monroe County, WI
- Husband: Oscar Raymond Heser born December 17, 1905 in LaGrange Township, Monroe County, WI, son of George Heser (1863-1916) and Evaline Aurelia “Eva” (Dickinson) Heser (1874-1924); eloped and married Veora Caroline Vroman March 29, 1930 in Winona, Winona County, MA; Oscar died July 23, 1979 in Libertyville, Lake County, IL (See section pertaining to Oscar Raymond Heser buried in the Fort Hill Cemetery)
- Donald Keith “Don” Heser born August 22, 1932 in Tomah, Monroe County, WI; U.S. Army Veteran; married Evelyn Motl on December 1, 1956 in Grayslake, Lake County, IL; Donald died March 6, 1984 in Stetsonville, Taylor County, WI; buried in Holy Rosary Cemetery, Medford, Taylor County, WI; According to the Marshfield News-Herald (Marshfield WI) Wednesday, March 7, 1984, page 1-2:
STETSONVILLE – Donald K. Heser, 51, of 829 S. Gibson Ave., Medford, died of suffocation Tuesday morning after the car he was driving flipped over, pinning him underneath.
The accident happened about 5:35 a.m. Tuesday on Highway 13, about 1 1/4 miles outh of Stetsonville. Heser was on his way to work in Colby at the time of the accident.
According to Taylor County deputies, Heser was driving south on the highway when his car hit a patch of ice and went out of control. The car traveled to the left side of the road and skidded 112 feet along the shoulder and ditch before rolling 2 1/2 times. Deputies said that on the last roll, Heser was through the car’s sun roof. The car then came to rest on top of him.
The accident was discovered about 6:20 a.m. Heser was pronounced dead at scene. The car sustained little damage, deputies said.
Services will be at 11:30 a.m. Thursday at Holy Rosary Catholic Church in Medford. The Rev. Brendan Kunda will officiate. The body will be cremated.
Visitation at the Hemer Funeral Home, Medford, will be from 4-9 p.m. today, where there will be a prayer vigil service at 7 p.m.
He was born Aug. 22, 1932 in Tomah, to Mr. and Mrs. Oscar (Veora Veorman (sic)) Heser. He received his education in Tomah and Round Lake, Ill. area schools. He married Evelyn Motl Dec. 1, 1956 in Grayslake, Ill. She survives.
After their marriage they lived in Grayslake for a number of years and in 1970 moved to Medford. He was employed at Liberty Homes in Spencer. Since 1972 he was employed as a maintanence machinists specialist at Packaging Corp. of America in Colby.
A member of Holy Rosary Catholic Church, Heser is also survived by his mother, Veora Heser of Grayslake, Ill.; six children, Mrs. Arthur (Susan) Walls of Colby, John Heser, Michael Heser, and Mary Hahn, all of Medford, Margaret Heser of Shakopee, Minn. and Kenneth Heser at home; six grandchildren; a brother, Eugene Heser of Round Lake, Ill.; and a sister, Diane Morse of Snohomish, Wash.
He was predeceased by his father and a brother.”
- Richard Arlen “Dick” Heser born March 19, 1939 in Tomah, Monroe County, WI; Richard died September 18, 1951 in Waukegan, Lake County, IL (See section pertaining to Richard Arlen “Dick” Heser buried in the Fort Hill Cemetery)
- Diana Rae (Heser) (Young) Morse born December 31, 1943 in Sparta, Monroe County, WI; married (1) Grady Milton Young (1941-1996) on December 21, 1963 in Grayslake, Lake County, IL and divorced November 22, 1967; married (2) Thomas Cleveland “Tom” Morse on February 7, 1976 in Seattle, King County, WA, son of George Oscar Morse and Madeline Elsie (Murrie) Morse;
- Eugene Paul “Butch” Heser born June 13, 1948 in Waukegan, Lake County, IL; Army Veteran, Korea; Eugene died June 3, 2015 in Kenosha, Kenosha County, WI (See section pertaining to Eugene Paul “Butch” Heser buried in the Fort Hill Cemetery)
- Louisa Caroline (Vroman) Purdy born April 1, 1892 in Monroe County, WI; married Milo Augusta Purdy (1892-1971); Louisa died December 9, 1973; Louisa and Milo are buried in Oak Grove Cemetery, Tomah, Monroe County, WI
- Mabel May (Vroman) Nelson born July 19, 1894 in Monroe County, WI; married (1) Perry Gorbet (1888-1957) in 1915; married (2) Julius C. Nelson (1893-1971); Mabel died March 7, 1972 in Tomah, Monroe County, WI; Mabel and Perry are buried in LaGrance Cemetery, Tomah, Monroe County, WI
- Eva (Vroman) Hart born March 29, 1902 in Monroe County, WI; married Riley James Talmadge Hart (1896-1965); Eva died August 30, 1968 in LaCrosse, LaCrosse County, WI; Eva and Riley are buried in Oak Grove Cemetery, Tomah, Monroe County, WI
- Frank William Vroman born January 18, 1905 in Monroe County, WI; died January 15, 1969 in Sparta, Monroe County, WI; buried in LaGrange Cemetery, Tomah, Monroe County, WI
- Chester Archie “Chet” Vroman born November 14, 1908 in Monroe County, WI; married Lois Pauline (Birkholz) Vroman (1911-1994); Chester died September 10, 1988 in Warrens, Monroe County, WI; Chester and Lois are buried in Warren Mills Cemetery, Warrens, Monroe County, WI
- Erwin Keith Vroman born October 18, 1915 in Monroe County, WI; married Willeene Carrie (Vandervort) Vroman (1918-1990) (Willeene married (2) Charles Richard Egeland (1916-2005); Erwin died January 5, 1964 in Wisconsin; Erwin and Willeene are buried in Oak Grove Cemetery, Tomah, Monroe County, WI
According to the 1920 U.S. Census for Grant Township, Monroe County, WI, the household members were: William Vroman, head, age 48, married, born in Wisconsin, father born in Wisconsin, mother born in New York, occupation: farmer – general farm; Estella Vroman, wife, age 44, married, born in Wisconsin, father born in Pennsylvania, mother born in Wisconsin; Frank Vroman, son, age 14, single, born in Wisconsin; Chester Vroman, son, age 11, single, born in Wisconsin; Verona C. Vroman, daughter, age 7, single, born in Wisconsin; Erwin Vroman, son, age 4 2/12, single, born in Wisconsin; Caroline Leighton, mother, age 71, married, born in New York, parents born in New York.
According to the 1930 U.S. Census for Grant Township, Monroe County, WI living at Co Trunk I, the household members were: William B. Vroman, head, age 58, married at age 20, born in Wisconsin, father born in Wisconsin, mother born in New York, occupation: farmer – general; Estella B. Vroman, wife, age 54, married at age 16, born in Wisconsin, parents born in Wisconsin; Frank W. Vroman, son, age 24, single, born in Wisconsin, occupatioin: farm labor – general farm; Erwin K. Vroman, son, age 14, single, born in Wisconsin; Veora C. Heser, daughter, age 17, married at age 17, born in Wisconsin (NOTE: Veora was married to Oscar Raymond Heser at the time of this census)
According to the 1940 U.S. Census for Tomah City, Monroe County, WI living at 529 Hollister Avenue, the household members were: Oscar Heser, head, age 33, married, highest grade completed: H-4, born in Wisconsin, lived in the same place in 1935, occupation: highway patrolman – state highway; Veora Heser, wife, age 28, married, highest grade completed: H-3, born in Wisconsin, lived in same place in 1935; Donald Heser, son, age 7, single, born in Wisconsin, lived in same place in 1935; Richard Heser, son, age 1, single, born in Wisconsin.
According to an obituary from tomahfamilies.com website for “Descendants of John Savage I”:
(written by Veora before her passing)
“OBITUARY – VEORA CAROLINE VROMAN HESSER passed away on December 4, 2000 at Condell Memorial Hospital, Libertyville, Illinois. Veora was born at home in Warrens, Monroe County, Wisconsin on April 7, 1912, the daughter of William Henry Vroman and Estella Belle Lamb Vroman.
Veora was the widow of Oscar Raymond Heser whom she married on March 29, 1930 in Winona, Minnesota. Oscar and Veora started their married life in Tomah, Wisconsin, and in 1944 moved to Illinois. Oscar retired from the Chicago, Milwaukee, St Paul and Pacific Railroad in 1970 and passed away in 1979. Four children were born to this union, namely Donald Keith, Richard Arlen (both deceased), Diana Rae Heser Morse of Tieton, Washington and Eugene Paul Heser of Round Lake, Illinois. She also leaves a daughter-in-law Evelyn Marie Motl Heser of Medford, Wisconsin, plus 7 grandchildren and numerous great grand children.
Besides her two sons, 3 brothers (Chester Archie, Frank William, Erwin Keith) and 3 sisters (Louisa Caroline, Eva, Mabel May) proceeded her in death. Veora had been in ill health for several years, but kept active, trusting in God to keep her on her feet. She belongs to several Senior organizations and was an active member of the Living Waters Assembly of God Church in Grayslake, Illinois.
Veora chose to be cremated and her remains were interred at Fort Hill Cemetery, Round Lake, Illinois beside her husband and one son.”
According to the Daily Herald (Arlington Heights IL) December 7, 2000:
“Veora C. Heser of Grayslake for 30 years
A memorial service for Veora C. Heser, 88, will be held at 7 p.m. today, at the Living Waters Assembly of God Church, 525 N. Atkinson Road, Grayslake. Born April 7, 1912, in Warrens, Wis., she passed away Monday, Dec. 4, 2000, at Condell Medical Center, Libertyville.
She was a member of the Liver Waters Assembly of God Church. Veora was an active member of the Lake County Council for Seniors, the Happy Seniors Club of Round Lake, as well as numerous other senior activities. She is survived by daughter, Diana (Tom) Morse of Tieton, Wash; son, Eugene Heser of Round Lake Beach; 14 grandchildren, and one great-grandchild.
She was preceded in death by her husband, Oscar Heser, in July 1979; sons Donald Heser, in 1984 and Richard Heser, in 1951; three sisters; and three brothers. In lieu of flowers, memorials may be made to the Living Water Assembly of God Church, 525 N. Atkinson Road, Grayslake, Il 60030. Arrangements were made by Strang Funeral Chapel & Crematorium, Ltd., Grayslake. For information, (847) 223-8122.”