BERTHA AMELIA (GILMORE) LENTS
B. December 5, 1909 in London, Ontario, Canada
D. November 13, 1955 in Elgin, Kane County, IL
Find A Grave memorial (click here)
- Father: William Hugh P. Gilmore born May 3, 1855 in England; arrived in Canada in 1873; William died April 22, 1940; buried in Pond Mills Cemetery, London, Middlesex County, Ontario, Canada
- Mother: Bertha Amelia “Millie” Bolt born February 6, 1871 in London, Middlesex, Ontario, Canada, daughter of James Jeffrey Bolt (1836-1920) and Katherine (Widdicombe) Bolt (1836-1928); Bertha died August 4, 1949 in London, Middlesex County, Ontario, Canada; buried in Ponds Mill Cemetery, London, Middlesex County, Ontario, Canada
- Husband 1: Bernard Charles Murrell married on September 1, 1924 in Middlesex, Ontario, Canada; divorced April 25, 1931 in Macomb, MI
- Husband 2: Fred Lents born August 15, 1901 in Memphis, TN; married Bertha Amelia Gilmore about 1928; married 2) unknown Kemen on November 23, 1978 in Kenosha County, WI; last residence in Burlington, Racine County, WI; Fred died October 29, 1987 (See section pertaining to Fred Lents buried in the Fort Hill Cemetery)
- William Hugh Lents born August 26, 1927 in Chicago, Cook County, IL; William died February 4, 1981 in Cook County, IL
- John Thomas Lents born October 10, 1929 in Chicago, Cook County, IL; John died June 5, 1945 in Chicago, Cook County, IL (See section pertaining to John Thomas Lents buried in the Fort Hill Cemetery)
- Betty Lou “Becky” (Lents) Smith born April 22, 1934 in Chicago, Cook County, IL; married Robert Smith about 1956; last residence in Winthrop Harbor, Lake County, IL; Betty died April 10, 2003 in Zion, Lake County, IL; her body was cremated; According to the News Sun (Waukegan IL) April 13, 2003:
“Betty Lou Smith
Betty Lou Smith, 68, of Las Vegas, Nevada and formerly of this area, died on Thursday, April 10, 2003 at Midwestern Regional Medical Center, Zion.
Betty Lou was born April 22, 1934 in Chicago. She was a 35 year employee of Illinois Bell Telephone Company, retiring 14 years ago and she was a member of the Telephone Pioneers of America. She was also a member of the Las Vegas Garden Club, was Post President and currently the Vice President of the Iris Society of Las Vegas and was a member of the National Iris Society of America where she was honored by receiving national recognition for the formation of an educational Iris program for elementary school children, something she was very proud of.
Survivors include her husband of 47 years, Robert, two sons, James (Mary) Smith of Winthrop Harbor and Joseph (Michelle) Smith of Spring Grove, Illinois; three grandchildren Julia Michelle (Joseph) Lobono, Casey and Nikki Smith; two great-grandchildren Tyler and Chloe; and one sister Louise (Richard) Whiteside of Winthrop Harbor. She was preceded in death by two brothers John Lents and William Lents and by her parents Fred and Bertha Lents.
Funeral services will be held on Wednesday, April 16, 2003 a.m. at the CONGDON FUNERAL HOME, 3012 Sheridan Road, Zion, with Pastor Gary Hougen of Winthrop Harbor United Methodist Church officiating. Private cremation will follow. Visitation will be Tuesday, April 15th, from 5:00 until 9:00 p.m. at the Congdon Funeral Home. Memorial donations to the American Cancer Society have been suggested. (847) 746-1234.”
- Louise (Lents) Whiteside; married Richard Whiteside; resided at 1325 Parke Ave., Winthrop Harbor, Lake County, Il between 1992 and 2002.
- Gertrude Ann (Gilmore) Merrylees born April 10, 1886 in London, Middlesex County, Ontario, Canada; married Thomas Andrew Merrylees (1876-1939) on May 26, 1906 in London, Middlesex County, Ontarioa, Canada, son of James Goethe Merrylees (1832-1907) and Elizabeth J. (Moffatt) Merrylees (1854-1933); Gertrude died December 5, 1966 in London, Middlesex County, Ontario, Canada; buried in Woodland Cemetery, London, Middlesex County, Ontario, Canada
- Mary Ellen “Nellie” Gilmore born February 9, 1890 in St. Joseph Island, Jocelyn Township, Algoma District, Ontario Canada; Mary died August 25, 1975 in Sault Ste. Marie, Algom District, Ontario, Canada
- James Henry Gilmore born December 27, 1891 in Algoma, Ontario, Canada; James died November 18, 1911 in London, Middlesex County, Ontario, Canada; buried in Pond Mills Cemetery, London, Middlesex County, Ontario, Canada
- Jessie Lillian (Gilmore) Martin born August 30, 1893 in Tenby Bay, Jocelyn Township, St. Joseph Island, Algoma District, Ontario, Canada; married John Alexander Martin (1874-unknown) on December 11, 1912 in Middlesex, Ontario, Canada; Jessie died March 17, 1975 in Sault Ste. Marie, Algoma District, Ontario, Canada
- Catherine (Gilmore) Howland born in London, Ontario, Canada born July 31, 1895 in London, Ontario, Canada; married Samuel Aske Watts (1890-1917) on March 31, 1915 in Middlesex, Ontario, Canada
- Hugh Gilmore born December 28, 1909 in Middlesex County, London, Ontario, Canada; Hugh died January 6, 1910 in Middlesex County, London, Ontario, Canada; buried in Pond Mills Cemetery, London, Middlesex County, Ontario, Canada
According to the 1911 Census of Canada living in Ontario province, Middesex East district #95, London Township, Ealing Village sub-district, the household members were: William H. Gilmour, married, Irish, age 58, born May 1853 in England, head, immigrated 1983; Bertha A. Gilmour, married, English, born February 1875 in Ontario, wife; Bertha Gilmour, single, Irish, age 2, born December 1908 in Ontario, daughter
According to the 1930 U.S. for Chicago, Cook County, IL living at 1154 Ridgeway, the household members were: Erwin Freitage, step son (adopted), age 9, single, born in Illinois, born in Austria; Fred Lents, head, age 29, married at age 27, born in Tennessee, parents born in Tennessee, occupation: cook – restaurant; Bertha Lents, wife, age 21, married at age 15, born in Canada, parents born in Canada, immigrated in 1925; William Lents, son, age 2 7/12, single, born in Illinois; John Lents, son, age 5/12, single, born in Illinois
According to the 1940 U.S. Census for Chicago, Cook County, IL living at 3238 Racine Avenue, the household members were: Fred Lants (sic Lents), head, age 39, married, highest grade completed: 8, born in Tennessee, live in same place in 1935, occupation: waiter – restaurant; Bertha Lants, wife, age 30, married, highest grade completed: 8, born in Canada, lived in same place in 1935; William Lants, son, age 12, single, highest grade completed: 7, born in Illinois, lived in same place in 1935; John Lants, son, age 10, single, highest grade completed: 5, born in Illinois, lived in same place in 1935; Betty Lou Lants, daughter, age 5, single, born in Illinois
According to the Detroit Border Crossing and Passenger and Crew Lists, 1905-1957, dated January 10, 1950:
“I, Bertha Amelia Lents a lawful permanent resident of the United States at R R Box 348, Round Lake, Illinois hereby make applications for a Border Crossing Identification Card and furnish the following information: Alline Registration No. 13540641; Born on Dec. 5, 1909, at London, Ont., Canada; Sex Fm; Marital status: married; Occupation: housewife; Read: Y; Write: Y; Nationality: Canada; Height: 5 ft. 3 in.; Weight: 180 lb.; Complexion: fair; Hair: Grey; Eyes: Grey; Visible distinctive marks or peculiarities: mastoid scar on right ear; Lawfully entered the United States for permanent residence at Port Huron, Mich. Under the name of Bertha Murrell on March 13, 1926, on the train. I have not been arrested, indicted, or convicted of any offense.”
According to the Lake County Illinois Genealogical Society. “Strang Funeral Home – Grayslake, Illinois – 1908-1964”. Mundelein IL. 2015:
“Name: Bertha Amelia Lents; Birth Date: 1910; Death Date/Place: 13 Nov 1955, Elgin; Age: 45 yrs; Marital Status: M; Minister: Rev. Buckmiller; Burial Place: Stone in Fort Hill Cem, or Avon”