JOHN THOMAS LENTS
B. October 10, 1929 in Chicago, Cook County, IL
D. June 5, 1945 in Chicago, Cook County, IL
Find A Grave memorial (click here)
- Father: Fred Lents born August 15, 1900 in Memphis, Shelby County TN, son of John Lents and Annie (unknown) Lents; married (1) Bertha Amelia (Gilmore) Lents about 1928; married (2) Lilliam Hagstrom (1908-1976) about 1959; married (3) Lucille Pauline “Lu” (Kloss) Klemen (1916-2003) on November 23, 1978 in New Munster, Kenosha County, WI; Fred died died October 29, 1987 in Kenosha, Kenosha County, WI (See section pertaining to Fred Lents buried in the Fort Hill Cemetery)
- Mother: Bertha Amelia (Gilmore) Lents born December 5, 1909 in London, Ontario, Canada, daughter of William Hugh Gilmore (1835-1873) and Bertha Amelia (Bolt) Gilmore (1875-unknown); married (1) Bernard Charles Murrell on September 1, 1924 in Middlesex, Ontario, Canada and divorced on April 25, 1931 in Macomb, MI; married (2) Fred Lents about 1928; Bertha died November 13, 1955 in Elgin, Kane County, IL (See section pertaining to Bertha Amelia (Gilmore) Lents buried in the Fort Hill Cemetery)
- William Hugh Lents born August 26, 1927 in Cook County, IL; William died February 4, 1981 in Cook County, IL
- Betty Lou “Becky” (Lents) Smith born April 22, 1934 in Chicago, Cook County, IL; married Robert Smith about 1956; last residence in Winthrop Harbor, Lake County, IL; Betty died April 10, 2003 in Zion, Lake County, IL; her body was cremated; According to the News Sun (Waukegan IL) April 13, 2003:
“Betty Lou Smith
Betty Lou Smith, 68, of Las Vegas, Nevada and formerly of this area, died on Thursday, April 10, 2003 at Midwestern Regional Medical Center, Zion.
Betty Lou was born April 22, 1934 in Chicago. She was a 35 year employee of Illinois Bell Telephone Company, retiring 14 years ago and she was a member of the Telephone Pioneers of America. She was also a member of the Las Vegas Garden Club, was Post President and currently the Vice President of the Iris Society of Las Vegas and was a member of the National Iris Society of America where she was honored by receiving national recognition for the formation of an educational Iris program for elementary school children, something she was very proud of.
Survivors include her husband of 47 years, Robert, two sons, James (Mary) Smith of Winthrop Harbor and Joseph (Michelle) Smith of Spring Grove, Illinois; three grandchildren Julia Michelle (Joseph) Lobono, Casey and Nikki Smith; two great-grandchildren Tyler and Chloe; and one sister Louise (Richard) Whiteside of Winthrop Harbor. She was preceded in death by two brothers John Lents and William Lents and by her parents Fred and Bertha Lents.
Funeral services will be held on Wednesday, April 16, 2003 a.m. at the CONGDON FUNERAL HOME, 3012 Sheridan Road, Zion, with Pastor Gary Hougen of Winthrop Harbor United Methodist Church officiating. Private cremation will follow. Visitation will be Tuesday, April 15th, from 5:00 until 9:00 p.m. at the Congdon Funeral Home. Memorial donations to the American Cancer Society have been suggested. (847) 746-1234.”
- Louise (Lents) Whiteside; married Richard Whiteside; resided at 1325 Parke Ave., Winthrop Harbor, Lake County, IL between 1993 and 2002
According to the 1930 U.S. for Chicago, Cook County, IL living at 1154 Ridgeway, the household members were: Erwin Freitage, step son (adopted), age 9, single, born in Illinois, born in Austria; Fred Lents, head, age 29, married at age 27, born in Tennessee, parents born in Tennessee, occupation: cook – restaurant; Bertha Lents, wife, age 21, married at age 15, born in Canada, parents born in Canada, immigrated in 1925; William Lents, son, age 2 7/12, single, born in Illinois; John Lents, son, age 5/12, single, born in Illinois
According to the 1940 U.S. Census for Chicago, Cook County, IL living at 3238 Racine Avenue, the household members were: Fred Lants (sic Lents), head, age 39, married, highest grade completed: 8, born in Tennessee, live in same place in 1935, occupation: waiter – restaurant; Bertha Lants, wife, age 30, married, highest grade completed: 8, born in Canada, lived in same place in 1935; William Lants, son, age 12, single, highest grade completed: 7, born in Illinois, lived in same place in 1935; John Lants, son, age 10, single, highest grade completed: 5, born in Illinois, lived in same place in 1935; Betty Lou Lants, daughter, age 5, single, born in Illinois
According to the Illinois Statewide Death Index, 1916-1950:
“Name: John T Lents; Age: unk; Cert No. 0016337; Death Date: 1945-06-05; County: Cook; City: Chicago”
According to the Lake County Illinois Genealogical Society. “Strang Funeral Home – Grayslake, Illinois – 1908-1964”. Mundelein IL. 2015:
“Name: John Thomas Lents; Born: Chicago; Death Date/Place: 05 Jun 1945, Chicago; Cause of Death: Accident; Age: 15 yrs; Minister: Rev. D. Howe; Burial Place: Fort Hill; Next of Kin: Fred Lents, Father”