WALTER HARTMAN SCHAD
B. March 21, 1890 in Chicago, Cook County, IL
D. December 6, 1939 in Grant Township, Lake County, IL
Find A Grave memorial (click here)
- Father: Hartman Schad born November 1858 in Germany; married Bertha Groskopf on March 25, 1883 in Cook County, IL
- Mother: Bertha Groskopf born March 2 1864 in Chicago, Cook County, IL daughter of William Groskopf; Bertha died October 4, 1919 in Chicago, Cook County, IL
- Wife: Hattie B. Tews born July 17, 1895 in Chicago, Cook County, IL, daughter of Julius Tews and Henrietta H. (Loy) Tews; married (1) Walter Hartman Schad on November 26, 1913 in Chicago, Cook County, IL and divorced; married (2) unknown Peterson
- Leroy H. Schad born October 20, 1914 in Cook County, IL (Name listed at Jerald Schad on Cook County, IL Birth Certificates Index); married Ellen Elizabeth Myer (1919-2007) on August 14, 1940 in Dubuque, Dubuque County, IA, daughter of Peter Joseph Myer (1879-1941) and Alice Johanah (Renehan) Myer (1891-1925); their daughter, Patricia Ann Schad (1947-1952) is buried in the Fort Hill Cemetery (See section pertaining to Patricia Ann “Patty” Schad buried in the Fort Hill Cemetery); Leroy died January 1977; Leroy and Ellen are buried in Highland Memorial Park, Libertyville, Lake County, IL
- Dorothy A. (Schad) Williams born February 17, 1916 in Chicago, Cook County, IL; married Harvey Williams on August 7, 1935 in Round Lake, Lake County, IL; Dorothy died June 25, 2007 in Montello, Marquette County, WI; buried in Northshore Garden of Memories, North Chicago, Lake County, IL; According to the News Sun (Waukegan IL) June 27, 2007, page 11:
Dorothy Williams, age 91 of Montello, Wisconsin, passed away on Monday, June 25, 2007 at the Montello Care Center.
She was born February 17, 1916 in Illinois to Walter and Hattie (nee Tews) Schad. She was united in marriage to Harvey William on August 7, 1935 at the Round Lake Community Church. Harvey passed in June of 1976. Dorothy was a member of the United Protestant Church of Grayslake. She then moved to Montello, WI in 1993 and became a member of Trinity United Methodist Church. Survivors include her son, Dennis (Cyndy) Williams of Montello, WI; her four grandchildren; her ten great-grandchildren; and other relatives and friends.
Her aforementioned parents, two brothers and her husband Harvey precede her in death.
A funeral service is scheduled for 11 AM, Thursday, June 28, at Strang Funeral Chapel & Crematorium, 410 E Belvidere Rd, Grayslake, IL 60030. Interment will follow at North Shore Garden of Memories in North Chicago. Friends of the family may visit from 10 AM until the time of service at the funeral chapel.
For information please call 847-223-8122 or visit www.strangfuneral.org.”
- Edwin Walter Schad born November 10, 1918 in Chicago, Cook County, IL; married Kathryn (uknown); According to the U.S. Draft Cards Young Men, 1940-1947:
“Name: Edwin Walter Schad; Address: Round Lake, Lake County, Illinois; Age in Years: 21; Date of Birth: Nov. 10, 1918; Place of Birth: Chicago, Illinois; Name of Person Who Will Always Know Your Address: Mr. Leroy Schad; Relation of That Person: Brother; Address: Round Lake, Lake County, IL; Height: 5′ 11″; Weight: 160; Eyes: Gray; Hair: Brown; Comlexion: Light; signed: Oct 11, 1944”
- Henry E. Schad born June 24, 1884 in Chicago, Cook County, IL; married Elizabeth “Lizzie” A. Schrader (1887-1986) on April 14, 1907 in Arlington Heights, Cook County, IL; Henry died November 16, 1951 in Arlington Heights, Cook County, IL; Henry and Elizabeth are buried in Wheeling Township Arlington heights Cemetery, Arlington Heights, Cook County, IL; According to the Arlington Heights Herald (Arlington Heights IL) Friday, November 23, 1951, page 5:
“Henry E. Schad
Henry E. Schad, 67, of 19 S. State rd., Arlington Heights, died at his home November 16.
Funeral services were held November 19 at Lauterburg and Oehler funeral home in Arlington Heights at 2 p. m. Rev. William F. Kamphenkel officiated. Interment Arlington Hts. cemetery.
Mr. Schad was born June 24, 1884, in Chicago and was employed by the Crofoot Manufacturing Co. in Mt. Prospect. He also had operated his own roofing business in Chicago for more than 25 years. He was married April 14, 1907, in Arlington Heights. Mr. Schad was a member of Arlington heights Lodge 1162, AF and AM, and the Palatine chapter.
Survivors include: his wife, Elizabeth; two children, Florence Mall of Chicago and Harold A. of Arlington heights, and two grandchildren, Donald and James.”
According to the 1900 U.S. Census for Chicago, West Town, Cook County, IL living at 287 W. Chicago Ave. the household members were: Hartman Schad, head, born November 1858, age 41, married 17 years, born in Germany, parents born in Germany, occupation: butcher – wholesale market; Berta Schad, wife, born March 1864, age 36, married for 17 years, 4 children born, 2 children living, born in Illinois, parents born in Germany; Henry Schad, son, born June 1884, age 15, single, occupation: apprentice – marble setter; Walter Schad, son, born March 1890, age 18, single, born in Illinois; August Schafer, boarder, born May 1876, age 24, single, born in Germany, parents born in Germany, immigrated in 1890, lived in U.S. 10 years, occupation: finisher – brass.
According to the 1910 U.S. Census for Chicago, Cook County, IL living at 4858 No. Berteau Ave., the household members were: Henry F. Groskopf, head, age 33, single, born in Illinois, parents born in Germany, occupation: transfer clerk – R.R. office; Albert B. Groskopf, brother, age 31, single, born in Illinois, parents born in Germany, occupation: bookkeeper – real estate; Theresa Groskopf, sister, age 28, single, born in Illinois, parents born in Germany; Bertha Shad, sister, age 46, widowed, married 19 years, 2 children born, 2 children living, born in Illinois, parents born in Germany; Walter Shad (sic Schad), nephew, age 20, single, born in Illinois, occupation: machinest – brass factory
According to the U.S., World War I Registration Cards, 1917-1918:
“Name in full: Walter Hartman Schad; Age in yrs: 27; Home address: 4219 N Cicero, Chicago, Illinois; Date of birth: March 21st 1890; Where were you born? Chicago, Illinois, USA; Present Occupation: Clothing cutter; By whom employed: Lamm & Co. Where employed: 846 Jackson Bvld, Chicago; Have you a relative dependent on you for support: Mother – Wife – 2 children; Married; Military service?: none; Medium height; Medium build; Color of eyes: D. Gray; Color of hiar: M. Brown; signed: June 5, 1917″
According to the 1920 U.S. Census for the City of Chicago, Cook County, IL living at 4219 No. Cicero Ave, the household members were: Walter Schad, head, age 29, married, born in Illinois, parents born in Germany, occupation: cutter – men’s tailoring; Hattie Schad, wife, age 26, married, born in Illinois, parents born in Posen (Germany); Leroy Schad, son, age 5, single, born in Illinois; Dorothy Schad, daughter, age 3 10/12, single, born in Illinois; Edwin Schad, son, age 1 1/12, single, born in Illinois; Henrietta Tews, mother-in-law, age 57, widowed, immigrated in 1878, naturalized 1889, born in Posen (Germany)
According to the 1930 U.S. Census for the Township of Avon, Lake County, IL the household members were: Walter Shad (sic Schad), head, age 41, married at age 26, born in Illinois, father born in Germany, mother born in Illinois, occupation: laborer – general labor; John L. Mannina, boarder, age 43, married at age 21, born in Indiana, father born in U.S., mother born in Indiana, occupation: machinist – elevator construction.
According to the Lake County Illinois Genealogical Society. “Strang Funeral Home – Grayslake, Illinois – 1908-1964”. Mundelein IL. 2015:
“Name: Walter Hartman Schad; Birth Date: 21 Mar 1890; Birth Place: Chicago; Death Date: 6 Dec 1939; Cause of Death: Coronary Thrombosis; Divorced; Occupation: Laborer; Minister: Rev. Curea, Funeral Home; Burial Place: Fort Hill; Next of Kin: Hartman Schad (GER) – Father, Bertha Graskopf – Mother”