WILLIAM MURRAY “BILL” THORNTON
B. 1928 in Tennessee
D. January 26, 2004 in Memphis, Shelby County, TN
Find A Grave memorial (click here)
- Father: Raymond Otha Thornton born May 26, 1896 in Dyer County, TN, son of Thomas Jefferson Thornton (1873-1938) and Glenora E. (Thompson) Thornton (1878-1901); married Effie Lou McCoules on April 24, 1922 in Dyer County, TN; Raymond died May 6, 1961 in Dyersburg, TN; buried in Sorrell Chapel Cemetery, Bonicord, Dyer County, TN
- Mother: Effie Lou (McCanless) Thornton born June 22, 1898, daughter of Walter McCanless (1874-1957) and Susan Fannie (Jones) McCanless (1870-1930); Effie died March 18, 1951 in Dyersburg, Dyer County, TN; buried in Sorrell Chapel Cemetery, Bonicord, Dyer County, TN
- Wife: Edith Rita “Eadie” (Coffill) Kiel born March 17, 1929 in Chicago, Cook County, IL, daughter of Albert Ellsworth Coffill (1890-1943) and Lillian G. “Lillie” (Hildebrand) Coffill (1895-1939); married William Murray Thorton on November 15, 1952 in Cook County, IL as her second husband; Edith died November 18, 2007 in Prairie du Sac, Sauk County, WI (See section pertaining to Edith Rita “Eadie” Thornton buried in the Fort Hill Cemetery)
- Terrane M “Terry” Thornton born 1948; Terry died December 23, 1967 in Libertyville, Lake County, IL (See section pertaining to Terrance M. “Terry” Thornton buried in the Fort Hill Cemetery)
- Raymond Otha Thornton born March 23, 1919 in Dyersburg, Dyer County, TN; Air Force WWII, Korea and Vietnam Veteran (August 1, 1942 – October 10, 1969); married Thelma Ida Kalz (1924-2001), daughter of Emil Theodor Kalz (1876-1946) and Bertha (Godt) Kalz (1884-1935); Raymond died January 7, 2005; Raymond and Thelma are buried in Sierra View Memorial Park, Olivehurst, Yuba County, CA
- Frances Glenora (Thornton) Pierce born October 23, 1923 in Tennessee; married James Herman Pierce (1917-1979) on December 20, 1947 in Hernando, Desoto County, MS, son of John Thomas Pierce (1882-1967) and Willie Verlon (Laster) Pierce (1889-1945); Frances died October 29, 1995; Frances and James are buried in Memphis Funeral Home and Memorial Gardens, Bartlett, Shelby County, TN
- William Thomas Thorton (Infant Boy) born April 18, 1925 in Dyer County, TN; William died June 17, 1925 in Dyer County, TN; buried in Sorrell Chapel Cemetery, Bonicord, Dyer County, TN
- Gerald Thomas Thornton born February 10, 1927 in Dyer County, TN; Gerald died October 30, 1983; buried in Sorrell Chapel Cemetery, Bonicord, Dyer County, TN
- Marion Etta (Thorton) (Robinson) Kincy born December 2, 1929 in Dyersburg, Dyer County, TN; Marion died October 21, 2003 in Carbondale, Jackson County, IL; buried in Cobden Cemetery, Cobden, Union County, IL; According to the Southern Illinoisan (Carbondale IL) Thursday, October 23, 2003, page 11:
COBDEN – Marion Etta Kincy, 73, of Cobden, formerly of Cicero, died at 5:22 a.m. Tuesday, Oct. 21, 2003, in Memorial Hospital of Carbondale.
Services will be at 1:30 p.m. today in Crain Funeral Home in Anna, with Dale Cral officiating. Burial will be in Cobden Cemetery.”
- Annie Louise “Louise” (Thornton) Rogers born March 30, 1932 in Tennessee; married J.B. “Red” Rogers (1922-1998) a WWII Army Veteran; J.B. is buried in Sorrell Chapel Cemetery, Bonicord, Dyer County, TN
- Tom Mac Thornton born September 12, 1932 in Dyer County, TN; married Ida Mae; Tom died April 3, 1959 in Columbia, Boone County, MO (auto accident); According to the Kansas City Star (Kansas City MO) Sunday, April 5, 1959, page 9:
“CAR SPEED IS FATAL.
Columbia, Mo., Carpenter is
Victim of Crash.
Columbia, Mo., April 4. – Tom Mac Thornton, 26, a carpenter, was fatally injured as his car overturned several times on Interstate route 70 last night near the east city limits of Columbia.
A friend in another car said that Thornton lost control of the car trying to pass him on the divided highway. A truck driver, Richard Mueller of Warsaw, said Thornton appeared to be racing the other car and that both were traveling at a high rate of speed.”
- Martha Lou (Thornton) Siddens born October 23, 1937 Bonicord, Dyer County, TN; married George Albert “Burt” Siddens (1935-2018); Martha died July 3, 2020 in Tifton, Tift County, GA; Martha and George are buried in Fairview Cemetery, Dyersburg, Dyer County, TN; According to the Dyersburg Funeral Home website (https://www.dyersburgfuneralhome.net/ ):
“Martha Lou Thornton Siddens, 82, of Sumner, GA, formerly of Dyersburg, TN, passed away on Friday, July 3, 2020 at Legacy Village in Tifton, GA.
Martha was born on October 23, 1937, in Bonicord, TN, to the late Raymond and Effie Lou McCanless Thornton. She was a member of Sylvester Church of Christ in Sylvester, GA and was a former member of Parr Avenue Church of Christ. Martha was an avid member of the Dyersburg High School Band Boosters and a member of the Red Hat Society, along with many of her closest friends. She was retired from retail sales and loved travelling, arts and crafts.
Graveside services will be at 11 a.m. Tuesday, July 7, 2020 at Fairview Cemetery with Mr. Laddie Owens officiating. Dyersburg Funeral Home is in charge of the arrangements.
The family will receive visitors from 10-10:45 a.m. Tuesday, July 7, 2020 at Dyersburg Funeral Home.
Survivors include her daughter, Sara “Dianne” Boyle of Sumner, GA; a son, George “Terry” Siddens (Linda) of Mesquite, TX; a sister, Annie Louise Rogers of Lake Charles, LA; three grandchildren, John Boyle IV (Andie) of Ashville, N.C., Sarah Siddens of Denver, CO and George Terrance Siddens II of Dallas, TX; and one great-grandchild, Hadley Hazel Siddens.
In addition to her parents, Martha was preceded in death by her husband, George “Bert” Siddens.
Memorials may be directed to Guiding Eyes for the Blind or to Wounded Warrior Project.”
- Stella (Thornton) Jackson (of Oklahoma)
According to the 1930 U.S Census for the 2nd Civil District, Dyer County, TN, the household members were: Ramond (sic) Thornton, head, age 34, married at age 24, born in Tennessee, parents born in Tennessee, Occupation: farmer – general farm; Effie L. Thornton, wife, age 32, married at age 22, born in Tennessee, parents born in Tennessee; Ramond O. Thornton, son, age 9, single, born in Tennessee; Frances G. Thornton, daughter, age 6, single, born in Tennessee; Gerald T. Thornton, son, age 3 1/12, single, born in Tennessee; Willie M. Thornton, son, age 1 10/12, single, born in Tennesee; Maron Ettia (sic) Thornton, daughter, age 4/12, single, born in Tennessee.
According to the 1940 U.S. Census for C. D. 12, Dyer County, Tennessee, the household members were: Raymond O. Thornton, head, age 43, married, Highest grade completed: 8, born in Tennessee, lived in same house in 1935, Occupation: farm owner – farm; Effie L. Thornton, wife, age 41, married, Highest grade completed: H-2, born in Tennessee, lived in same house in 1935; Raymond O. Thornton, Jr. ab., son, age 19, single, Highest grade completed: H-2, born in Tennessee, lived in same house in 1935; Occupation: mecanic (sic) – irrigation CCC; Francis Thornton, daughter, age 16, single, Highest grade completed: H-1, born in Tennessee, lived in same house in 1935; Gerald Thornton, son, age 13, single, highest grade completed: 8, born in Tennessee, lived in same house in 1935; Murry Thornton, son, age 12, single, Highest grade completed: 7, born in Tennessee, lived in same house in 1935; Mrianatto (sic) Thornton, daughter, age 10, single, Highest grade completed: 5, born in Tennessee, lived in same house in 1935; Louise Thornton, daughter, age 8, single, Highest grade completed: 4, born in Tennesee, lived in same house in 1935; Tom Mack Thornton, son, age 7, single, highest grade completed: 1, born in Tennesee, lived in same house in 1935; Martha L. Thornton, daughter, age 2, single.
According to the U.S. WWII Draft Cards Young Men, 1940-1947:
“Name: Willie Murray Thornton; Place of Residence: Rt. #1, Dyersburg, Dyer County, Tennessee; Mailing Address: Rt. #1, Dyersburg, Dyer County, Tennessee; Telephone: None; Age in Years: 18 years; Date of Birth: April 26, 1927; Place of Birth: Dyersburg, Tenn.; Name and Address of Person who will always know your Address: R. O. Thornton, Rt. #1, Dyersburg, Tenn.; Employer’s Name and Address: Unemployed; Place of Employment: Unemployed; Height: 5-5; Weight: 140; Eyes: Gray; Hair: Red; Complexion: Light; Signed: April 17, 1946”
According to the Dyersburg State Gazette (Dyersburg TN) Wednesday, January 28, 2004:
“William Murray Thornton, 76, of Dyersburg, died Monday, Jan. 26, 2004 at the Veteran’s Hospital in Memphis.
He was a retired TV technician.
Survivors includes his wife, Edith Thornton of Dyersburg; three sisters, Louise Rogers and Martha Siddens, both of Dyersburg and Stella Jackson of Oklahoma; and a brother, Raymond Thornton of Yuba City, Calif.
He was preceded in death by a son, Terry Thornton; his parents, Raymond and Effie Thornton; two sisters, Marion Kincy and Francis Piere; and two brothers, Gerald Thornton and Tom Mac Thornton.
The family requests that any memorials be directed to the American Heart Association.”
According to the Commercial Appeal (Memphis TN) Tuesday, January 27, 2004, page B3:
“DYERSBURG – William Murray Thornton, 76, retired television technician, died Monday at Memphis Veterans Medical Center. Canale Funeral Directors has charge. He was a Navy veteran. Mr Thornton, the husband of Edith C. Thornton, also leaves three sisters, Martha Siddens and Louise Rogers, both of Dyersburg, and Stella Thornton of Oklahoma, and a brother, Raymond Thornton of California. The family requests that any memorials be sent to the American Heart Association.”