EDITH RITA “EADIE” (COFFILL) (KIEL) THORNTON
Edith Rita “Eadie” (Coffill) (Kiel) Thornton gravestone
(Photo by Vernon B. Paddock)
B. March 17, 1929 in Chicago, Cook County, IL
D. November 18, 2007 in Prairie du Sac, Sauk County, WI
Find A Grave memorial (click here)
- Father: Albert Ellsworth Coffill born January 20, 1890 in Lima, Allen County, OH, son of Albert Coffill and Sylvan A. (Folk) Coffill; married (1) Lillian G. Hildebrand on November 9, 1914 in Cook County, IL; married (2) Edith Gregory on February 23, 1937 in Des Moines, IA Albert died December 15, 1943 in Cook County, IL
- Mother: Lillian G. “Lillie” (Hildebrand) Coffill born in 1895 in Chicago, Cook County, IL, daughter of Jonathan Hildebrand (1841-1923) and unknown (Kruze) Hildebrand; Lillian died May 20, 1939 in Chicago, Cook County, IL; buried in Forest Home Cemetery, Forest Park, Cook County, IL
According to the Chicago Tribune (Chicago IL) Monday, May 22, 1939, page 20:
“COFFILL – Lillian G. Coffill, nee Hildebrand; fond mother of Albert E., Sylvia L., Helen G., David A., Lawrence F., and Edith R. Coffill. At rest at chapel, 1801 Jackson boulevard. Funeral Wednesday, 2:30 p. m., at Erie Chapel Institute, 1347 Erie street. Interment Forest Home.”
- Husband 1: Glenn Donald Kiel born September 20, 1925 in Chicago, Cook County, IL, son of Richard Otto Kiel (1895-1950) and Phyllis Marie (Choate) Kiel (1898-1966); U.S. Army WW II Veteran (November 2, 1943 – January 5, 1945); married Edith R. Coffill on May 1, 1948 in Cook County, IL; Glenn died February 20, 1985 in Los Angeles County, CA; buried in Riverside National Cemetery, Riverside, Riverside County, CA
- Husband 2: William Murray “Bill” Thornton born in 1928; married Edith Kiel on November 15, 1952 in Cook County, IL; William died in 2004 (See section pertaining to William Murray “Bill” Thornton buried in the Fort Hill Cemetery)
- Terrance M. “Terry” Thornton born 1948 in Illinois; Terry died December 23, 1967 in Libertyville, Lake County, IL (See section pertaining to Terrance M. “Terry” Thornton buried in the Fort Hill Cemetery)
- Albert Ellsworth Coffill born July 20, 1915 in Chicago, Cook County, IL; Albert died June 12, 1989; last residence in Norris, Fulton County, IL
- Sylvia Lillian (Coffill) Meier born January 1, 1919 in Chicago, Cook County, IL; married William W. Meier (1905-1967) on September 6, 1940 in Cook County, IL, son of Henry Meier (1868-1957) and Augusta (Koeppe) Meier (1872-1928) and step-son of Katharina Meier (1884-1967); Sylvia died October 13, 1953 in Cook County, IL; buried in Forest home Cemetery, Forest Park, Cook County, IL
According to the Chicago Tribune (Chicago IL) Thursday, October 15, 1953, page 99:
MEIER – Sylvia L. Meier, suddenly, of 1901 N. Kedzie avenue, beloved wife of Willare, fond sister of Albert Coffill, Helen Stephen, David, and Lawrence Coffill, and Edith Thornton. Services Friday, 1:30 p. m. at chapel, 3905-07 Lincoln avenue. Interment Forest Home.”
- Helen Grace (Coffill) (Stephen) (Tate) Stephen born August 13, 1921 in Chicago, Cook County, IL; married George “Joe” Stephen on April 1, 1940 in Cook County, IL; Helen died August 11, 1998 in Wyocena, Columbia County, WI; buried in Forest Home Cemetery, Forest Park, Cook County, IL
According to the Portage Daily Register (Portage WI) Wednesay, August 12, 1998, page 2:
“HELEN G. STEPHEN
TOWNSHIP OF DEKORRA
—Helen G. Stephen, age 76, of the township of Dekorra, died on Tuesday, August 11, 1998 at the Columbia Health Care Center in Wyocena.
Graveside services will be held at Forest Home Cemetery in Forest Park, Illinois on Friday, August 28, 1998 at 11:00 a.m. The Planz Mantey Mendrala in Poynette is assisting the family with arrangements.
Helen Stephen was born on August 13, 1921 in Chicago, Illinois, the daughter of Albert and Lillian (Hilderbrand) (sic) Coffill. She had worked as a secretary for Western Electric in Chicago.
Survivors include her son, Ronald (Lyn) Stephen, Township of Dekorra; her daughter, Diana Stephen, Villa Park, Illinois; three grandchildren, Dawn (Allan) VanKauwenberg, Susan Bentel, and Raymond (Susan) Chandler; four great-grandchildren, a sister, Edith (Bill) Thornton, Saunemin, Illinois; a brother, David (Viola) Coffill, Joliet, Illinois; other near relatives and many close friends. She was preceded in death by her husband, George “Joe” Stephen on February 2, 1997, her parents, two brothers, and a sister.”
- David Aloyzy Coffill born October 26, 1924 in Illinois; married Viola A. Oliver (1929-2012); David died January 14, 2012; David and Viola are buried in Abraham Lincoln National Cemetery, Elwood, Will County, IL
According to the Chicago Tribune (Chicago IL) Monday, January 16, 2012, page 2-6:
David Coffill, WWII veteran of the United States Coast Guard. Cherished husband of Viola (nee Oliver); devoted father of Julie (Larry) Johnson and Janice (Chuck) Swindler; proud grandfather of Lorraine and Michelle Johnson and Christopher and Steven Swindler; fond great-grandfather of Kathy Johnson. Preceded in death by three sisters and two brothers. Funeral Service 10:30 a.m. Wednesday at Woodlawn Funeral Home, 3201 W. Jefferson, Joliet. Burial Abraham Lincoln National Cemetery. Visitation Tuesday, 4 to 8 p.m. In lieu of flowers, memorials to Will County Humane Society, 24109 W. Sell Rd., Shorewood, IL 60404 would be appreciated. For info: (815) 725-0100″
- Lawrence Frank Coffill born in 1927 in Illinois; married Bernice June Lohrbach (1931-2013), daughter of August M. Lohrbach (1900-1991) and Caroline Lohrbach (1906-1996); Lawrence died September 30, 1997; Lawrence and Bernice are buried in Skyline Memorial Park, Monee, Will County, IL
According to the Chicago Tribune (Chicago IL) Wednesday, October 2, 1996, page 182:
Lawrence Frank Coffill, Sept. 30, age 68, late of Homewood, beloved husband of Bernice J. Coffill, nee Lohrbach; dear father of Cheryl (Jeffrey) Hochmuth of Bartlett, IL. and Mark Coffill of Whitmore Lake, MI.; loving brother of Edith (William) Thornton of Saunemin, IL., Helen (George) Stephen of Pleasant Plains, AR., David (Viola) Coffill of Joliet and the late Sylvia Meier and Albert Coffill. Resting at Tews Funeral Home, 18230 S. Dixie Why., Homewood, Wednesday from 2 to 9 p.m. Lying in state Thursday from 10 a.m. until the time of Services at 11 a.m. at Flossmoor Community Church, Hutchinson Rd. and Carroll Pkwy., Flossmoor, IL. Interment Skyline Memorial Park. Memorials to The Flossmoor Community Church Music Dept. or the United Parkinson Foundation, 833 W. Washington Blvd., Chicago, IL 60607. 7085-798-5300.”
According to the 1930 U.S. Census for the City of Chicago, Cook County, IL living at 1432 Walton Street, the household members were:
“Lillian Coffill, head, , age 35, widowed, born in Illinois, parents born in Germany; Occupation: none; Albert Coffill, son, age 14, single, born in Illinois; Silvia Coffill, daughter, age 11, single, born in Illinois; Helen Coffill, daughter, age 8, single, born in Illinois; David Coffill, son, age 5, single, born in Illinois; Lawrence Coffill, son, age 2 6/12, single, born in Illinois; Edith Coffill, daughter, age 1 1/12, single, born in Illinois”
According to the 1940 U.S. Census for Chicago, Cook County, IL living at 1320 Wicker Park Ave., the household members were:
“Albert Coffill, head, age 24, single, Highest grade completed: H-2, born in Illinois, lived in same place in 1935, Occupation: Stock clerk – Warehouse; Slyvia Coffill, sister, age 21, single, Highest grade completed: H-4, born in Illinois, lived in same place in 1935, Occupation: Enambler – Button and Pin Company; Helen Coffill, sister, age 18, single, Highest grade completed: H-4, born in Illinois, lived in same place in 1935, Occupation: New Worker; David Coffill, brother, age 15, single, Highest grade completed: H-s, born in Illinois, lived in same place in 1935; Lawrence Coffill, brother, age 12, single, Highest grade completed: 7, born in Illinois , lived in same place in 1935; Edith Coffill, sister, age 11, single, Highest grade completed: 6, born in Illinois, lived in same place in 1935”
According to the 1950 U.S. Census for Chicago, Cook County, IL living at 3212 Wabansia Ave, the household members were:
“Richard R Kiel, head, age 55, married, born in Illinois; Phyllis C Kiel, wife, age 51, married, born in Wisconsin, Occupation: Cook – Restaurant; John Kiel, son, age 20, never married, born in Illinois, Occupation: Molder – Molding Press; David Kiel, son, age 19, never married, born in Illinois, Occupation: Switch man – Railroad, Was he living in this same house a year ago?: Yes, What country were his father and mother born in?: U S, What is the highest grade of school that he has attended?: S10, Did he finish this grade?: Yes, Last year in how many weeks did this person do any work at all?: 52, Last year (1949) how much money did he earn working as an employee for wages or salary?: $1,275, Did he ever serve in the U.S. Armed Forces during – WWII?: Yes, WWI?: No, Any other time including present service?: No; Phyllis Kiel, daughter, age 17, never married, born in Illinois, Occupation: Waitress – Restaurant; Glenn C Kiel, son, age 23, married, born in Illinois, Occupation: Molder – Molding Press; Edith R Kiel, daughter in law, age 21, married, born in Illinois, Occupation: Waitress – Restaurant; Terrence Kiel, grand son, age 1, never married, born in Illinois”
According to the U.S. Public Records Index, 1950-1993, Volume 1:
“Name: Edith R. Thornton; Birth Date: 17 Mar 1929;
Residence Date: 1996; Address: 19 Willington Dr.; Residence: Saunemin, IL; Postal Code: 61769-6097;
Second Residence Date: 1996: 19 Wellington Dr.; Second Residence: Saunemin, IL; Second Postal Code: 61769-6097;
Third Address: 410 W Touhy Ave Lot 71; Third Residence: Des Plaines, IL; Third Postal Code: 60018-2453;
Fourth Residence Date: 1993; Fourth Address: 300 E Spencer St Lot 108; Fourth Residence: Dwight, IL; Fourth Postal Code: 60420-1180″
According to the Dyersburg State Gazette (Dyersburg TN) November 20, 2007:
“Edith R. “Eadie” Thornton, 78, of Prairie du Sac, Wis, died on Sunday, Nov. 18, 2007 at Sauk Prairie Memorial Hospital.
She was employed as an in-house sales representative for the International Paper Co. in Chicago.
Pflanz Mantey Mendrala Funeral Home in Poynette is in charge of arrangements.
Survivors include a brother, David Coffill, of Joliet, Ill.; two sisters-in-law, Martha and Louise, both of Dyersburg, Tennessee; nieces, nephews, other relatives and close friends.”
She was preceded in death by her husband, Bill Thornton; a son, Terry Thornton; and her parents, Albert and Lillian Hildebrand Coffill; two sisters, Sylvia and Helen; and two brothers, Lawrence and Albert Coffill.”