KENNETH LEVERNE TINDELL
Kenneth Leverne Tindell gravestone
(Photo by Vernon B. Paddock)
B. November 15, 1919 in Stockton, Jo Daviess County, IL
M. Army Veteran (December 8, 1942-September 24, 1945), Private 1st Class, Good Conduct Medal, 717th Airborne Ordnance Maintenance Company
D. May 5, 1954
Find A Grave memorial (click here)
- Father: Harry Robert Tindell born May 20, 1894 in Holy Cross, Dubuque County, IA son of Joseph Tindell (1861-1946) and Lillie F. (Trursdel) Tindell (1870-1946); Harry died January 10, 1928 in Millville Township, Clayton County, IA; buried in Guttenberg Cemetery, Guttenberg, Clayton County, IA; According to an unnamed newspaper by “mckay101”, Tindell-Carlbor Families 6.7.16 of Ancestry.com:
“YOUNG MAN DIES
IN MILLVILLE TOWNSHIP
HARRY TINDELL, 33 YEARS OLD
PASSES AWAY TUESDAY
The death of Harry Tindell occurred at the home of Mr. and Mrs. Fred (illegible) in Millville township on Tuesday morning at 3:30 o’clock, at the age of 33 years, 7 months and 90 days, after an illness of a long duration.
Harry Tindell was born at Cottage Hill, Dubu que county, Iowa, on May 20, 1894, a son of Mr. and Mrs. Joseph Tindell, later coming to Millville township, Clayton county, with his parents, where the greater part of the remainder of his life was spent.
He was united in marriage with Miss Florence Cornwell, of Manchester.
Harry was an ambitious young man and one of a pleasing personality, and was held in high regard by all who had the pleasure of making his acquantence.
He was born in poor health, suffering with diabetes for some time when death called him to the Great Beyond. During his entire illness he was patient suffering and had hopes for recovery to the last.
His ultimate death is deeply mourned by three children, Lloyd, Kenneth and Alberta; his parents, three brothers, Glen Tindell, of Guttenberg, and Howard and Norman Tindell, of Greeley; seven sisters, Mrs. Fred Block and Miss Evelyn Tindell, of Millville township, Mrs. Thomas Tomkins of Guttenberg, Mrs. Harry (illegible) and Miss Hazel Tindell, of Marion, Mrs. Leonard Lawson, of Portville, and Mrs. Albert (illegible), of Highland Center, Wisconsin, and many other relatives and friends, who will all sadly miss this good and true young man.
Funeral services will be conducted by Rev. D. D. Welch at the Methodist Episcopal church in Guttenburg this morning at eleven o’clock. Interment will be made in the City cemetery at Guttenberg.”
- Mother: Florence Minnie (Cornwell) (Tindell) Garcia born February 22, 1900 in Manchester, Delaware County, IA, daughter of John Bradford Cornwell (1857-1898) and Mary Elizabeth (Cropp) Cornwell (185-1934); married (1) Harry Robert Tindell; married (2) Salvador C. Garcia born August 13, 1902 in Somberete, Mexico and died 1972, married Florence on July 30, 1928 in Chicago, Cook County, IL; Florence died May 21, 1989 in Cook County, IL; Florence and Salvador are buried in Saint Alphonsus Catholic Cemetery, New Munster, Kenosha County, WI
- Wife: Dolores Eva (Vickers) (Tindell) Haines born October 2, 1922 in Burlington, Des Moines County, IA daughter of Theodore Allen Vickers (1882-1961) (See section pertaining to Theodore Allen Vickers buried in the Fort Hill Cemetery) and Maude May (Winters) Vickers (1890-1970) (See section pertaining to Maude May (Winters) Vickers buried in the Fort Hill Cemetery); married (1) Kenneth L. Tindell on July 5, 1940 in Cook County, IL; married (2) married unknown Haines; last resided in Mechanicsburg, Cumberland County, PA; Dolores died November 15, 1992 in Monroe Township, Cumberland County, PA; According to the Patriot-News (Harrisburg PA) November 18, 1992, page B2:
“Dolores E. Haines
Delores E. Haines, 70, of 1550 Williams Grove Road, Monroe Twp., died Sunday at home.
She was a retired accountant for the Lake County, Ill., Health Department and a member of Bowmansdale Church of God, Steelton Moose Lodge 919, Independent Order of Foresters and Mechanicsburg Senior Citizens Club.
Surviving are a son, Daniel L. Tindell of Mechanicsburg; three daughters, Nancy Whiting of Sheboygan, Wis., Sharon Domka of Grayslake, Ill., and Paula Gruber of Tallahassee, Fla.; two brothers, Jack Vickers of Salem, Wis., and Wilber Vickers of Harlingen, Texas; two sisters, Dorothy Lund of Champaign, Ill., and Joyce Sloane of Virginia Beach, Va; 13 grandchildren; and eight great-grandchildren.
Private services will be held at the convenience of the family.
Cremation Society of Pennsylvania is handling arrangements.
Memorial contributions may be made to American Cancer Society, Cumberland Unit, 117 N. Hanover St., Carlisle 17013.”
- Kenneth L. “Skip” Tindell, Jr. born November 2, 1941; Kenneth died May 1971 (See section pertaining to Kenneth L. “Skip” Tindell, Jr. buried in the Fort Hill Cemetery)
- Nancy Ruth (Tindell) (Michael) Whiting born November 29, 1942 in Evanston, Cook County, IL; married (1) Donald Michael in July 1960; married (2) Richard Whiting on November 29, 1962; last residence in Sheboygan, Sheboygan County, WI; Nancy died October 24, 1998 in Sheboygan, Sheboygan County, WI; According to the Sheboygan Press (Sheboygan WI) Sunday, October 25, 1998, page 2:
“Nancy R. Whiting – Nancy R. (Richard) Whiting, 55, of 1815 S. 16th St., died Saturday morning, Oct. 24, 1998 at Sheboygan Memorial Medical Center. Nancy was born Nov. 29, 1942 in Evanston, Ill., to Kenneth and Dolores (Vickers) Tindell. On Nov. 29, 1962, she married Richard W. Whiting of Park Falls, Wis. The couple resided in Park Falls before moving to Sheboygan in 1968. Nancy was close to her family and especially enjoyed her grandchildren. In addition to her husband, Richard, Nancy is survived by a daughter, Anna (Steve) Pautz of Sheboygan; two grandchildren, Mallory and Craig; a brother, Daniel (Sandy) Tindell of Mechanicsburg, Penn.; two sisters, Sharon Domka of Round Lake, Ill., and Paula (Jim) Gruber of Tallahassee, Fla.; and a sister-in-law, JoAnn Schwerdtfegar. She was preceded in death by her parents and a brother Kenneth Tindell. A memorial service will be held Tuesday, 11:30 a.m. at Bethlehem Lutheran Church. The Rev. James Hartman, pastor, will officiate. A time of visitation and support will be held at the church from 10:30 a.m. until the time of service. In lieu of flowers, a memorial fund has been established in her memory for the Wisconsin Diabetes Association. Ballhorn Funeral Chapels is coordinating the service arrangements.”
- Daniel Tindell; married Sandy
- Sharon E. (Tindell) (Domka) Charbonnier born June 28, 1944; married (1) unknwn Domka; married (2) Ray Charbonnier after 1998; Sharon died March 14, 2010 in Grayslake, Lake County, IL; According to the News-Sun (Waukegan IL) March 17, 2010:
“Sharon Charbonnier (Domka) (Tindell) passed away Sunday March 14, 2010 in her home in Grayslake. She was born June 28, 1944 and lived in Lake County for most of her life.
She is survived by two sons; Michael (Amy) Domka and Richard (Lisa) Domka, six grandchildren; David, Tony, Miles, Joes, Rachel, and Ryan, two great-grandchildren; Natalie and Madison, sister Paula (Jim) Gruber; brother Danny (Sandy) Tindell, and husband Ray Charbonnier.
Sharon was preceded in death by her parents Kenneth Tindell and Dolores Haines, brother Kenneth Jr. Tindell, and sister Nancy Whitting.
Memorial service is Friday March 19, 2010 from 6:00pm to 7:00 pm with church service following at Calvary Presbyterian in Round Lake at 510 North Cedar Lake Road.
Arrangements are by Strang Funeral Chapel in Grayslake, Illinois.”
- Paula (Tindell) Gruber; married Jim Gruber
- Lloyd Robert Tindell born July 4, 1915 in Dyersville, Delaware County, IA; married Dorothy Carlborg (1920-2002) on August 31, 1940 in Evanston, Cook County, IL (1920-2002); Lloyd died January 29, 2011; Lloyd and Dorothy are buried in Mountain View Funeral Home and Cemetery, Mesa, Maricopa County, AZ; According to the Arizona Republic (Phoenix AZ) Friday, March 11, 2011, page 22:
“Tindell, Lloyd R.
95, of Scottsdale, Az passed away on January 29, 2011. He was born on the 4th of July in 1915, in Dyersville, IA. to Harry and Florence Tindell. He married Dorothy Carlborg on August 31, 1940 in Evanston, IL. Together they raised three children, Peggy, Tory and Lloyd Jr. Lloyd loved to square dance, and shared many great times with his many (dancing) friends. His children, peggy Dover, Tory Mills, Lloyd Jr., four grandchildren, Laszio Szentendrei, Lisa Bak, Laura Reece, and Robert Tindell, 12 great grandchildren, 3 great-great grandchidlren, and stepbrother Salvador Garcia, survive him. Dorothy, his wife of 62 years, sister Alberta, and brother Kenneth, preceded Lloyd in death. Private services were held at Mountain View Cemetery, Mesa, AZ. For those wishing to send an expression of condolence, the family suggests donations be made to Hospice of the Valley, 1510 E. Flower St., Phoenix, AZ 85014.5656.”
- Alberta Elizabeth “Birdie” (Tindell) Witting born May 6, 1917 in Turkey River, Clayton County, IA; married (1) Nicholas John Dumong (1912-1950) on April 5, 1940 in Cook County, IL, son of John Dumong (1881-1936) and Katherine Mollstor (Molitor) Demong (1890-1978); married (2) Richard Harold Witting (1923-2014) on September 20, 1956 in Cook County, IL, son of Richard F. Witting and Lydia (Chantelois) Witting; died July 13, 2010 in Woodstock, McHenry County, IL; Alberta and Richard are buried in Saint Patrick Countryside Cemetery, McHenry County, IL; According to the Northwest Herald (Woodstock IL) Thursday, July 15, 2010, page 15:
“ALBERTA E. ‘BIRDIE’ WITTING
Born: May 6, 1917; in Turkey River, Iowa
Died: July 13, 2010; in Woodstock
McHENRY – Alberta E. “Birdie” Witting, 93, of McHenry, died Tuesday, July 13, 2010, at Hospice of Northeastern Illinois inpatient Unit in Woodstock.
She was born May 6, 1917, in Turkey River, Iowa, to Harry R. and Florence (Cornwell) Tindell. On Sept. 20, 1956, she married Richard H. Witting, in Evanston.
She worked as an office supervisor for Universal Screw Co., a division of MSL Industries in Evanston, and also for Rust-Oleum Corp. in Vernon Hills.
She loved traveling the United States, enjoyed gardening and knitting, and was an avid pinochle and bridge player. She was a member of St. Patrick’s Catholic Church. She was, above all, a caregiver to all. She was a kind, loving, patient and compassionate woman who brought joy and peace to everyone she knew.
She is survived by her husband of 53 years, Richard; her daughter, Patricia Ann Dumong Meehan of Libertyville; two grandsons, Brian (Lisa) Casebolt of Wauconda and Kevin (Mary) Casebolt of East Stroudsburg, Pa.; seven great-grandchildren, Tyler, Megan, Alex, Jason, Luke, Logan and Duncan; and two brothers, Lloyd (the late Dorothy Tindell of Scottsdale, Ariz., and Salvador (Carol) Garcia of Evanston.
She was preceded in death by her first husband, Nicholas; her parents; and her brother, Kenneth.
The visitation will be from 4 to 8 p.m. Friday, July 16, at Justen Funerl home & Crematory, 3700 W. Charles J. Miller Road, McHenry. The visitation will continue from 8:15 a.m. Saturday, July 17, until prayers are said at 9:15 a.m. at the funeral home, then leaving for the 10 a.m. funeral Mass celebration at St. Patrick’s Catholic Church, 3500 W. Washington, McHenry.
For those wishing to send an expression of condolence, the family suggests memorials to Hospice of Northeastern Illinois, 405 Lake Zurich Road, Barrington, IL 60010; or to the American Cancer Society, Janet Smith, Memorials chairperson, 200 S. Green St., McHenry, IL 60050.
For information, call the funeral home at 815-385-2400. Friends may send an online condolence to the family at www.justenfh.com.
Sign the guest book at www.NWHerald.com/obits.”
According to the 1920 U.S. Census for Village of Stockton, Stockton Township, Jo Daviess County, IL the household members were: Harry Tindell, head, age 25, married, born in Iowa, father born in Iowa, mother born in Wisconsin, occupation: laborer – general; Florence Tindell, wife, age 20, married, born in Iowa, parents born in Iowa; Lloyd Tindell, son, age 4, single, born in Iowa; Alberta Tindell, daughter, age 3 5/12, born in Iowa; Kenneth Tindell, son, age 2/12, single, born in Illinois.
According to the 1930 U.S. Census for Evanston City, Evanston Township, Cook County, IL living at 1405 Wilder Street, the household members were: Salvador Garcia, head, age 27, married at age 25, born in Mexico, parents born in Mexico, occupation: mechanic – automobile; Florence M. Garcia, wife, age 28, married, born in Iowa, parents born in Iowa, occupation: waitress – cafeteria; Lloyd R. Garcia (Tindell), step-son, age 14, single, born in Iowa; Alberta E. Garcia (Tindell), step-daughter, age 12, single, born in Iowa; Kenneth L. Garcia (Tindell), step-son, age 10, single, born in Illinois.
According to the 1940 U.S. Census for Evanston, Cook County, IL living at 1027 Darrow Avenue, the household members were: Salvador Garcia, head, age 36, married, highest grade completed: 6, born in Mexico, lived in same house in 1935, occupation: automobile mechanic – public garage; Florence Garcia, wife, age 38, married, highest grade completed: 4, born in Iowa, lived in same place in 1935; Salvador Garcia, son, age 10, single, born in Illinois, lived in same place in 1935; Lloyd Tindell, stepson, age 24, single, highest grade completed: 8, born in Iowa, lived in same place in 1935, occupation: automobile mechanic – public garage; Kenneth Tindell, stepson, age 20, single, highest grade completed: H2, born in Illinois, lived in same place in 1935, occupation: automobile mechanic – public garage.
According to the U.S. WWII Draft Cards Young Men, 1940-1947:
“Name: Kenneth Levern Tindell; Place of Residence: 4011 N. Kenmore, Chicago, Ill; Mailing Address: (same); Telephone: Bit 5073; Age in Years: 21; Date of Birth: 11 15 1919; Place of Birth: Stockton, Ill.; Occupation: Appren. Install Heating Equipment; Name and Address of Person who will Always know your Address: Mrs. Sam Garcia – 1027 Darrow Ave., Evanston, Ill.; Employer’s Name and Address: L. D. Harrington (North Shore Round Oak Heating Co.); Place of Employment: 1207 Monroe St, Evanston, Ill.; Race: White: Height: 5′ 7 3/4″; Weight: 140#; Eyes: Hazel; Hair: Brown; Complexion: Light; Other obvious physical characteristics: slight scar above left eye, left litte finger bent; Signed: July 1, 1941”
According to the U.S., World War II Army Enlistment Records, 1938-1946:
“Name: Kenneth L Tindell; Race: White; Rank: Private First Class; Birth Year: 1919; Nativity State or Country: Illinois; Citizenship: Citizen; Residence: Cook, Illinois; Education: Grammar school; Civil Occupation: Unskilled painter, except construction and maintenance; Enlistment Date: 15 Mar 1943; Enlistment Place: Fort Sheridan; Service Number: 16169444; Branch: No branch assignment; Component: Reserves – exclusive of Regular Army Reserve and Officers of the Officers Reserve Corps on active duty under the Thomason Act (Officers and Enlisted Men — O.R.C. and E.R.C., and Nurses-Reserve Status); Source: Enlisted Reserve or Medical Administrative Corps (MAC) Officer; Height: 00; Weight: 114”
According to the 1948 U.S. City Directories, 1822-1995 for Evanston, Cook County, IL:
Tindell Kenneth L (Delores E) auto mch Sam C. Garcia h 1114 Florence
According to the U.S., Headstone Applications for Military Veterans, 1925-1963:
“Name of Deceased: TINDELL, KENNETH L.; Enlistment Date: 12 9 42; Discharge Date: 9 24 45 (Honorable); Service No. 16 16 94 44; Pension or VA Claim No.: none; State: Illinois; Grade: Pfc; Medals: Good Conduct Medal; Branch of Service, Company, Regiment, and Division or Ship: Army, 717th Airborne Ordnance Maintenance Company; Date of Birth: 11 15 19; Date of Death: 5 5 54; Emblem: Christian; Check Type Required: Flat Bronze Marker; Ship to : Barney Vogt, Round Lake, Illinois; Freight Station: Round Lake, Illinois; Name and Location of Cemetery: Fort Hill Cemetery, Round Lake, Illinois; Name and Address of Applicant: Dolores Tindell, Box 12, Round Lake, Illinois; (back of card): Enlisted in the Enlisted Reserve Corps 8 December 1942. Reported for active duty 15 March 1943 – served as Technician 5th Grade with: 522nd Ordnance Company – Army ; No Decorations”