BYRON E. GROVER
Byron E. Grover gravestone
(Photo by Vernon B. Paddock)
B. February 4, 1857 (based on 15 years, 2 months, 7 days from date of death)
D. April 11, 1872
Find A Grave memorial (click here)
- Father: David Grover born November 8, 1816 in Vermont; married (1) Nancy Grover; married (2) Nancy M. Rice on December 15, 1862 in Lake County, IL, daughter of John Rice and Fanny (Baldwin) Rice (1802-1881), she was born December 23, 1839 in Canada and died May 22, 1927 in San Jose, CA; David died December 11, 1906; David and Nancy, his 2nd wife, are buried in Madronia Cemetery, Saratoga, Santa Clara County, CA.
According to the Waukegan Weekly Gazette (Waukegan IL) Saturday, November 22, 1873, page 3:
At David Grover’s auction, the other day, a shepherd dog was sold for three dollars and a half.”
According to the 1880 U.S. Census for Waukegan, Lake County, IL the household members were:
“David Grover, age 63, occupation: teamster, born in Vermont, father born in Connecticut, mother born in New York; Alice (possibly Nancy, his 2nd wife) M. Grover, age 41, wife, born in Canada, father born in Massachusetts, mother born in Canada”
According to the 1900 U.S. Census for Saratoga Township, Santa Clara County, CA the household member were:
“David Grover head, born November 1816, age 83, married for 37 years, born in Vermont, father born in Vermont, mother born in Scotland, occupation: farm – farmer; Nancy R. Grover, wife, born December 1838, age 61, married 37 years, 1 child born, 1 child living, born in Canada, father born in Massachusetts, mother born in Canada, immigrated in 1897; and Harry S. Grover, pedigree, born April 1880, age 20, single, born in Illinois, father born in New York, mother born in Illinois”
- Mother: Nancy Grover born June 1822 in New York; married David Grover as his first wife; Nancy died February 17, 1861 in Lake County, IL (See section pertaining to Nancy Grover buried in the Fort Hill Cemetery)
- John B. Grover born 1843 in Wyoming County, NY; Civil War Veteran (October 11, 1864-January 8, 1865) Private, Company H, 2nd Regiment, Illinois Light Artillery, killed January 8, 1865 in Clarksville, Montgomery County, TN, during the Civil War; buried in Nashville National Cemetery, Madison, Davidson County, TN in Section V, Site 8815.
- Minnie L. Grover born January 1847 in Lake County, IL; Minnie died July 9, 1847 (See section pertaining to Minnie Grover buried in the Fort Hill Cemetery)
- Antoinette (Grover) Shepherd born about 1849 in Illinois; married Rensselaer Shepherd (1835-1909) on June 30, 1873 in Lake County, Illinois; he was a Civil War Veteran (February 6, 1865 – January 20, 1866), Corporal, 147th Illinois Infantry and died June 3, 1909, buried in Grant Cemetery, Ingleside, Lake County, IL; Antoinette date of death unknown.
According to the Lake County Independent (Libertyville IL) Friday, June 11, 1909, page 2:
“Word reached here Wednesday of the death of Rensselaer Shepherd, of Hainesville, father of John Shepherd of this place. He was born in New York, March 13, 1835, being 74 years old at the time of his death. He served over a year during the civil war and was a member of the Masons at Grayslake, who turned out a large number and took charge of the burial services. The interment was in the family lot at the Grant cemetery.”
- Francis Germain “Frank” Grover born about 1854 in Fort Hill, Lake County, IL; Francis died April 2, 1909 in Saratoga, Santa Clara County, CA
According to the Lake County Independent (Libertyville IL) Friday, May 21, 1909, page 7:
Frank Germain Grover died at Saratoga, Cal., April 2, 1909, aged about fifty-one years. Mr. Grover was born at Fort Hill, and was the son of David Grover. He will be remember by many of the old settlers here who will be sorry to hear of his death. Mr. Grover had been in the restaurant business for a number of years.”
According to the 1870 U.S. Census for Fremont, Lake County, IL with a Hainesville post office, the household members were:
“David Grover, age 52, occupation: farmer, born in Vermont; Nancy Grover, age 32, wife, born in Canada; Antoinette Grover, age 21, born in Illinois; Francis G. Grover, age 16, born in Illinois; and Byron E. Grover, age 18, born in Illinois”