Nancy Grover headstone (2020)
Photo by Vernon B. Paddock
B. June 1822 in New York
D. February 17, 1861 in Lake County, IL
Find A Grave memorial (click here)
- Husband: David Grover, born November 8, 1816 in Vermont; married (1) Nancy Grover; married (2) Nancy M. Rice on December 15, 1862 in Lake County, IL born December 23, 1839 in Canada and died May 22, 1927 in San Jose, CA daughter of John Rice and Fanny (Baldwin) Rice;; According to the 1870 U.S. Census for the Town of Fremont, Lake County, IL the household members were: David Grover, age 52, occupation: farmer, born in Vermont; Nancy (Rice) Grover, age 32, wife, born in Canada; Antoinette Grover, age 21, born in Illinois; Francis G. Grover, age 16, born in Illinois; and Byron E. Grover, age 18, born in Illinois;; According to the 1880 U.S. Census for Waukegan, Lake County, IL the household members were: David Grover, age 63, occupation: teamster, born in Vermont, father born in Connecticut, mother born in New York; Alice (possibly Nancy) M. Grover, age 41, wife, born in Canada, father born in Massachusetts, mother born in Canada; According to the 1900 U.S. Census for Saratoga Township, Santa Clara County, CA the household member were: David Grover head, born November 1816, age 83, married for 37 years, born in Vermont, father born in Vermont, mother born in Scotland, occupation: farm – farmer; Nancy R. Grover, wife, born December 1838, age 61, married 37 years, 1 child born, 1 child living, born in Canada, father born in Massachusetts, mother born in Canada, immigrated in 1897; and Harry S. Grover, pedigree, born April 1880, age 20, single, born in Illinois, father born in New York, mother born in Illinois; David died December 11, 1906; David and Nancy are buried in Madronia Cemetery, Saratoga, Santa Clara County, CA. she died in San Jose, CA on May 22, 1927.
- John B. Grover born 1843 in Wyoming County, NY; Civil War Veteran (October 11, 1864-January 8, 1865) Private, Company H, 2nd Regiment, Illinois Light Artillery; killed January 8, 1865 in Clarksville, Montgomery County TN, during the Civil War; buried in Nashville National Cemetery, Madison, Davidson County, TN in Section V, Site 8815.
- Minnie L. Grover born January 1847 in Lake County, IL; Minnie died July 9, 1847 (See section pertaining to Minnie L. Grover buried in the Fort Hill Cemetery)
- Antoinette (Grover) Shepherd born about 1849 in Illinois; married Renssalear Shepherd (1835-1909) on June 30, 1873 in Lake County, IL; he was born about 1835 in New York, Civil War Veteran, Corporal, 147th Illinois Infantry and died June 3, 1909, buried in Grant Cemetery, Ingleside, Lake County, IL; Antoinette date of death unknown.
- Francis G. Grover born about 1854 in Illinois (The only record of Francis is the 1870 U.S. Federal Census living in Fremont Township with his father David and his stepmother Nancy (Rice) Grover)
- Byron E. Grover born February 4, 1857 (based on 15 years, 2 months, 7 days from date of death); Byron died April 11, 1872 (See section pertaining to Byron E. Grover buried in the Fort Hill Cemetery)
According to the 1850 U.S. Census for the Town of Fremont the household members were: David Grovener (sic Grover), age 33, occupation: farmer, born in Vermont; Nancy Grovener, age 27, born in New York; John Grovener, age 7, born in New York; Antionet (sic) Grovener, age 1, born in Illinois.
Unable to locate the Grover family in the 1860 U.S. Census records. In the Town of Fremont with a Fremont Center post office there is one Grover family listed but unable to verify the relationship, if any, to the David Grover family. They household members are: John Flowers, age 41, occupation: farmer, born in Massachusetts; Mary Flowers, age 36, born in Massachusetts; James Gill, age 24, occupation: farm laborer, born in New York; Wallace Gill, age 22, occupation: farm laborer, born in New York; John Grover, age 18, occupation: farm laborer; born in New York; Jane Grover, age 39, born in New York, Mary Grover, age 12, born in Illinois; Elda Grover, age 8, born in Illinois.