Nancy Grover gravestone
Photo by Vernon B. Paddock
B. June 1822 in New York
D. February 17, 1861 in Fremont, Lake County, IL
Find A Grave memorial (click here)
- Husband: David Grover, born November 8, 1816 in Vermont; married (1) Nancy Grover; married (2) Nancy M. Rice on December 15, 1862 in Lake County, IL, daughter of John Rice and Fanny (Baldwin) Rice (1802-1881), she was born December 23, 1839 in Canada and died May 22, 1927 in San Jose, CA; David died December 11, 1906; David and Nancy, his 2nd wife, are buried in Madronia Cemetery, Saratoga, Santa Clara County, CA.
According to the Waukegan Weekly Gazette (Waukegan IL) Saturday, November 22, 1873, page 3:
At David Grover’s auction, the other day, a shepherd dog was sold for three dollars and a half.”
According to the 1880 U.S. Census for Waukegan, Lake County, IL the household members were:
“David Grover, age 63, occupation: teamster, born in Vermont, father born in Connecticut, mother born in New York; Alice (possibly Nancy, his 2nd wife) M. Grover, age 41, wife, born in Canada, father born in Massachusetts, mother born in Canada”
According to the 1900 U.S. Census for Saratoga Township, Santa Clara County, CA the household member were:
“David Grover head, born November 1816, age 83, married for 37 years, born in Vermont, father born in Vermont, mother born in Scotland, occupation: farm – farmer; Nancy R. Grover, wife, born December 1838, age 61, married 37 years, 1 child born, 1 child living, born in Canada, father born in Massachusetts, mother born in Canada, immigrated in 1897; and Harry S. Grover, pedigree, born April 1880, age 20, single, born in Illinois, father born in New York, mother born in Illinois”
- John B. Grover born 1843 in Wyoming County, NY; Civil War Veteran (October 11, 1864-January 8, 1865) Private, Company H, 2nd Regiment, Illinois Light Artillery; killed January 8, 1865 in Clarksville, Montgomery County TN, during the Civil War; buried in Nashville National Cemetery, Madison, Davidson County, TN in Section V, Site 8815.
- Minnie L. Grover born January 1847 in Lake County, IL; Minnie died July 9, 1847 (See section pertaining to Minnie L. Grover buried in the Fort Hill Cemetery)
- Antoinette (Grover) Shepherd born about 1849 in Illinois; married Rensselaer Shepherd (1835-1909) on June 30, 1873 in Lake County, IL; he was born about 1835 in New York, Civil War Veteran, Corporal, 147th Illinois Infantry and died June 3, 1909, buried in Grant Cemetery, Ingleside, Lake County, IL; Antoinette date of death unknown.
According to the Lake County Independent (Libertyville IL) Friday, June 11, 1909, page 2:
“Word reached here Wednesday of the death of Rensselaer Shepherd, of Hainesville, father of John Shepherd of this place. He was born in New York, March 13, 1835, being 74 years old at the time of his death. He served over a year during the civil war and was a member of the Masons at Grayslake, who turned out a large number and took charge of the burial services. The interment was in the family lot at the Grant cemetery.”
(NOTE: The youngest child of Antoinette and Rensselaer was Harry Shepherd, born April 19, 1880 in Waukegan, Lake County, IL. According to the 1900 U.S. Census for Saratoga Township, Santa Clara County, CA, Harry was listed as Harry S. Grover and living with his grandfather, David Grover and his 2nd wife, Nancy R. (Rice) Grover; Harry died August 25, 1961 in San Jose, Santa Clara County, CA. Though unverified, it is presumed Antoinette died between 1880 and 1900. The U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007 for “Harry Shepard Grover [Harry Shepard Shepard]” lists his parents as “R Shepard” and “Nellie Grover”)
According to the Los Gatos Times-Saratoga Observer (Los Gatos CA) Tuesday, August 29, 1961, page 2:
Harry Shephard Grover of Saratoga died Aug. 25, at the age of 81 in a San Jose hospital after an extended illness.
A native of Illinois, Mr. Grover moved to this area as a child, 76 years ago. He lived on Big Basin Way in Saratoga, and in recent years was the town gardener for the city of Saratoga. He was a member of the Saratoga Federated Church. There are no immediate survivors.
Graveside services will be held at Madronia Cemetery, Saratoga, Wednesday at 10 a.m. The Rev. Alfred Glass of the Federated Church will officiate.
The West Valley Chapel of Los Gatos is in charge of arrangements.”
4. Francis Germain “Frank” Grover born about 1854 in Fort Hill, Lake County, IL; Francis died April 2, 1909 in Saratoga, Santa Clara County, CA
According to the Lake County Independent (Libertyville IL) Friday, May 21, 1909, page 7:
Frank Germain Grover died at Saratoga, Cal., April 2, 1909, aged about fifty-one years. Mr. Grover was born at Fort Hill, and was the son of David Grover. He will be remember by many of the old settlers here who will be sorry to hear of his death. Mr. Grover had been in the restaurant business for a number of years.”
5. Byron E. Grover born February 4, 1857 (based on 15 years, 2 months, 7 days from date of death); Byron died April 11, 1872 (See section pertaining to Byron E. Grover buried in the Fort Hill Cemetery)
According to the 1850 U.S. Census for the Town of Fremont the household members were:
“David Grovener (sic Grover), age 33, occupation: farmer, born in Vermont; Nancy Grovener, age 27, born in New York; John Grovener, age 7, born in New York; Antionet (sic) Grovener, age 1, born in Illinois”
According to the Waukegan Weekly Gazette (Waukegan IL) Saturday, May 8, 1852, page 2:
Township 45, Range 9,
Name of Owners.” David Grove; Part of Section.: ne qr nw qr; Sec.: 24; Acre.: 40; Val.: 120: Total Tax,&c: 2.03″
(NOTE: Unable to locate the Grover family in the 1860 U.S. Census records. In the Town of Fremont with a Fremont Center post office there is one Grover family listed but unable to verify the relationship, if any, to the David Grover family. They household members are: John Flowers, age 41, occupation: farmer, born in Massachusetts; Mary Flowers, age 36, born in Massachusetts; James Gill, age 24, occupation: farm laborer, born in New York; Wallace Gill, age 22, occupation: farm laborer, born in New York; John Grover, age 18, occupation: farm laborer; born in New York; Jane Grover, age 39, born in New York, Mary Grover, age 12, born in Illinois; Elda Grover, age 8, born in Illinois.)
According to the Waukegan Weekly Gazette (Waukegan IL) Saturday, February 23, 1861, page 3:
In Fremont, Lake Co., on Sunday the 17th inst. Mrs. Nancy Grover, wife of David Grover, aged 36 years.”